• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi,

Back about one year ago, I learned 4LLL. But there wasn't a guide that could tell me what to do; just the algs. So, I decided that I would make a tutorial that would help others like me to take a step towards improving their times. And what a coincidence it's Christmas today :D

So, here is the guide:
http://thomasje.webs.com/4lll-tutorial-2

If there are any mistakes, or anything you feel should be added/changed, just post back.

Merry Christmas!

omer

I'm pretty sure the first anti-sune alg is wrong.

Also here is a nice alg I use which is easy to remember and fast, you might wanna add it:
Bowtie:
(y2) (R U2 R' U') (R U R' U') (R U R' U') R U' R'
It might be long but it's a very quick 2-gen with very fast triggers.

Last edited:

omer

Yes it should be

R U2 R' U' R U' R' (my favorite alg for Anti-Sune, don't know if others exist).

I don't think it's the one he meant to write in the tutorial... this is the most obvious one, it's the inverse of regular sune, but it doesn't solve the case as shown in the picture in his tutorial, it solves it from a different angle.

kunparekh18

WCA
2013PARE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't think it's the one he meant to write in the tutorial... this is the most obvious one, it's the inverse of regular sune, but it doesn't solve the case as shown in the picture in his tutorial, it solves it from a different angle.

Oh, sorry, totally forgot about that! So, the alg should be

U R U2 R' U' R U' R'

Also, for CPLL, last case (Y perm) a great and faster alg would be

[U R] [R U R' U'] y [R U R' U'] [R U R' U'] [R U R'] y' [R U' R2]

Very fast execution and easy on the fingers :)

uberCuber

WCA
2011THOM01

The alg he has listed is the most common, very easy to execute smoothly, and certain people can sub-1 it. This alg is one more move and has two rotations, whereas the listed alg has none. Curious, how fast can you do it?

@OP, I just noticed you have D2' written on both A perms. If you want the alg to be as fast as possible, it seems to me you would want the D2 to be done with whichever hand doesn't do the initial move, so it would be D2 in one, and D2' in the other?

Last edited:

kunparekh18

WCA
2013PARE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, I feel that alg more comfortable for me because it has just R and U moves and it is easy to memorize

-I'm a beginner
-My cube is storebought Rubik's and is slow as hell

So with that alg I score around 5 seconds (slow, isn't it?)

Though, I think I can be faster with that alg if I get a faster cube and learn some nifty fingertricks.

EDIT: Just remembered, the alg in the tutorial takes me about 12 seconds to execute.

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm pretty sure the first anti-sune alg is wrong.

Yes it is; corrected now. Thanks for pointing that out.

Also here is a nice alg I use which is easy to remember and fast, you might wanna add it:
Bowtie:
(y2) (R U2 R' U') (R U R' U') (R U R' U') R U' R'
It might be long but it's a very quick 2-gen with very fast triggers.

I can do 1.12 with my alg, but only 1.86 with that alg. It is fingertricky, but I see the more optimal alg better. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Yes it should be

R U2 R' U' R U' R' (my favorite alg for Anti-Sune, don't know if others exist).

Yes; that is true.

Oh, sorry, totally forgot about that! So, the alg should be

U R U2 R' U' R U' R'

I will add that alg as well, as it is another popular alg.

Very fast execution and easy on the fingers :)

I don't really like that alg; probably because of the rotations.

@OP, I just noticed you have D2' written on both A perms. If you want the alg to be as fast as possible, it seems to me you would want the D2 to be done with whichever hand doesn't do the initial move, so it would be D2 in one, and D2' in the other?

It is the way I prefer to do it, with the double D2' flick with my right hand for both algs. It is just personal preference.

Well, I feel that alg more comfortable for me because it has just R and U moves and it is easy to memorize

-I'm a beginner
-My cube is storebought Rubik's and is slow as hell

So with that alg I score around 5 seconds (slow, isn't it?)

Though, I think I can be faster with that alg if I get a faster cube and learn some nifty fingertricks.

EDIT: Just remembered, the alg in the tutorial takes me about 12 seconds to execute.

Well, algorithms are all down to personal preference. I can't list every alg there is, because there are far too many, so I list the most popular ones. You can use whatever alg you wish.

manstrong

Well, algorithms are all down to personal preference. I can't list every alg there is, because there are far too many, so I list the most popular ones. You can use whatever alg you wish.

Maybe throw in a link to the Speedsolving Wiki for OLL and PLL? Don't those list almost every alg there?

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Maybe throw in a link to the Speedsolving Wiki for OLL and PLL? Don't those list almost every alg there?

I don't think that will help. All the 4LLL algs are used in full OLL/PLL (except maybe the OELL's), so when the person wants to find a new algorithm, they will almost certainly find the wiki page.