• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

4 Look Last Layer Speeds

Hi, I currently am learning 4 Look Last Layer and wondering how much faster or how fast that can get up to once "mastered". Atm I do intuitive F2L and beginners last layer averaging around 40 seconds so I was just wondering how fast this could get me. I remember seeing someone get sub 20 average of 5 using 4 Look. Thanks

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
You can probably sub-10 with 4LLL. However, it would be much easier to learn the additional algs far before then so it's not so much a question of how fast you can get but at the point where learning additional algs would be more beneficial to your time.

Wow I wasn't expecting sub 10 with it, but I more than likely would learn the other alg's prior to reaching sub 10 speeds

Hero

Hi, I currently am learning 4 Look Last Layer and wondering how much faster or how fast that can get up to once "mastered". Atm I do intuitive F2L and beginners last layer averaging around 40 seconds so I was just wondering how fast this could get me. I remember seeing someone get sub 20 average of 5 using 4 Look. Thanks

I'd say sub-15 with practice. I suggest you learn 1-look PLL after but full OLL is seriously overrated. You need to focus on F2L. That's what improves your times the most.

xyzzy

full OLL is seriously overrated
Who's overrating OLL now? Maybe it used to be the case, many years ago, that people thought learning OLL was a must (for sub-20, say), but my impression is that nobody in the past two years or so has seriously held that position.

Hero

Who's overrating OLL now? Maybe it used to be the case, many years ago, that people thought learning OLL was a must (for sub-20, say), but my impression is that nobody in the past two years or so has seriously held that position.

I guess, after Collin, who proved algs aren't the answer, but I feel like newer cubers think of it as a mandatory thing for becoming "advanced" which is really not this case.

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
full OLL is seriously overrated.

I forgot that OLL was completely unnessary unless you wanted to be very serious about learning algs and getting very fast.

When to learn full OLL is up to you, learn PLL first. Work on F2L mostly (this is were most improvement is). Definitely learn some easy OLLs there is 10ish cases only 8 moves long. Learning algs is not hard, it will be at first however.

For LL you maybe be able to save a few seconds or more by learning algs. F2L has a greater potential for improvement than LL since it takes up a greater percentage of a solve.

Luke8

WCA
2017MYKL01
Technically, you can get sub 10 with 4LLL but that is with super duper advanced F2L and years of practice. In all honesty, you can get sub 30 or sub 25 with 4LLL and intuitive F2L. I have gotten 4 sub 20 ao5's with 4LLL and consistently average sub-23.