• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Unofficial] 10.36 Avg5 ft. 8.69 single [rawz da bawz]

Ross The Boss

WCA
2012SVEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Pretty good first and last solves. I was going for sub 10, but eyyy, this will still do.
Both the average and single are on-cam-PBs so yayy for that.
Using left hand U2s and index finger pushes for U, I can do some CMLLs without regripping which seems to be paying off.
Half of my solves now seem to have really inefficient second block squares, But that shouldnt be too difficult to fix.

1. (8.69) D2 L U2 R F2 L U2 B2 U2 F2 U L D' F D2 U' L F2 R'
2. 10.07 R' D' R' D' B' U2 R U2 F R U2 F2 U2 R2 B2 R L2 U2 F2 B2
3. (13.35) F2 L' B2 R2 F2 D2 B2 F2 L2 R' D2 B' D L' U' F' R' B L D' L2
4. 10.35 D U2 F2 D2 B R2 D2 B' L2 R2 F' L' D B2 U' L2 B2 D' B
5. 10.67 D F' B L D' F U B U F2 D2 B2 R' D2 R' B2 L2 F2 L F2

Last edited by a moderator:

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ah, that's pretty fast. Lookahead could use work, although blockbuilding's always hard. Looks like you need more competitions :p Anyway, how do you think the super-fast roux people do LSE without pauses? However hard I try, it seems impossible. Unless you practice for ages, I guess.

Alex Lau is super fast, but that's not a realistic goal. Kirjava's pretty good. BigGreen as well. And PDF and a whole bunch of other guys. Roux is getting pretty popular!

Ross The Boss

WCA
2012SVEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ah, that's pretty fast. Lookahead could use work, although blockbuilding's always hard. Looks like you need more competitions :p Anyway, how do you think the super-fast roux people do LSE without pauses? However hard I try, it seems impossible. Unless you practice for ages, I guess.

Alex Lau is super fast, but that's not a realistic goal. Kirjava's pretty good. BigGreen as well. And PDF and a whole bunch of other guys. Roux is getting pretty popular!

Thom Barlow has always been a sort of checkpoint for my times, since his were the first roux solves ive ever seen. Always wanted to be as fast as he is! Kinda agree with you about how alexander's times are unattainable... But I can still dream... It is sometimes possible to do lse very few looks, like get some of it planed while recognizing CMLL, inserting ULUR and dealing with 4c in another look, or something like that. Really it just depends on how aware you are of the puzzle at -sometimes unrealistically- earlier stages.

Last edited:

Kurainu17

WCA
2012ONGR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sick mate! As always smooth turning. LSE still doesn't look as efficient as it could be or as fast as GuRoux. Although, those M-moves are pretty sexy looking. Like really nice. Looks like those fingertricks did help. anyway vgj bro :) Hopefully you can do this sort of thing in comp! U need to have a Representative average of your mad roux skills!

Ross The Boss

WCA
2012SVEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sick mate! As always smooth turning. LSE still doesn't look as efficient as it could be or as fast as GuRoux. Although, those M-moves are pretty sexy looking. Like really nice. Looks like those fingertricks did help. anyway vgj bro :) Hopefully you can do this sort of thing in comp! U need to have a Representative average of your mad roux skills!

Ayy, thanks man! Looks are only part of the process, i will probably loose some of the sexyness if im going to get any faster. Anyway, thankyou ^_^! Youknow, im actually still using some of those weird 2x2 algs you gave me a while ago, they are alot better than the standard cmlls for some cases. However, i think my comp times are always going to lag behind my home times by a little bit :p. It would be nice to get a top 1000 world ranking though.

Last edited:

Sharkretriver

Watched the vid. At the start I wasn't sure what to expect; I guess I was used to tps spammers. So like, I was really surprised to see how slowly you turned.
All I can really say is amazing, I guess. Like, I think it's so cool how rotationless the solves are. Amazing. Most likely I'll practice turning slowly and working on my lookahead I guess.

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel

Who doesnt need more comps??? I love how you mention me among alex, austin and thom but forget GUROUX AND RYAN. No one cares about adam though. He is the "whole bunch of other guys" part.

Thom Barlow has always been a sort of checkpoint for my times, since his were the first roux solves ive ever seen. Always wanted to be as fast as he is! Kinda agree with you about how alexander's times are unattainable... But I can still dream... It is sometimes possible to do lse very few looks, like get some of it planed while recognizing CMLL, inserting ULUR and dealing with 4c in another look, or something like that. Really it just depends on how aware you are of the puzzle at -sometimes unrealistically- earlier stages.

Im not SUPER FAST with roux yet, but guroux said my lse (2.7 ish seconds) is my best step so i guess i can try to help. Its great if you can already deal with CMLL and EO in one look. Recog of CMLL and EO simultaneously during cmll does not count as a look. That leaves LR and EP. Between cmll and eo, you have a slight margin of time where you either cancel the cmll into eo with r/R/M gen moves, or you AUF then do the M move. During this margin of time, it is easy to locate the LR edges. I still find it hard to immediately figure out where they will end up, so tracing them while doing EO works fine. I find EP prediction the hardest part. So far, we have taken only 1 look to locate LR edges, since the first look does not count. with one more look during the last M/M'/M2 move in LR edges, EP is predicted and LSE is solved in 2 looks. this is how i do it, bursting TPS between looks and slowing down near the look. It is probably better to turn smoothly like guroux and alex so that you have constant lookahead and actually solve lse with infinite or 0 looks (depending on how you want to think about it). My way of looking ahead is still quite fast and helps transition into having perfect lse lookahead.

Edit: to practice this, i do L10P scrambles on csTimer
Edit2: ross ur scaring me. Stahp.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Looks aren't really about how many times you have to actually stop turning to look at the cube. Orienting edges, UL/UR, and LL are separate looks even if you actually recognize the cases while doing turns. Lookahead doesn't change the method (and IMO the number of looks is a property of the method itself).

Sharkretriver

*So many tips!*

Great tips. Outside of the end game I think there's more that can be worked on, Ross.
Do some more 2x2x2 to identify those CMLL algs faster when they show up. During first block, try looking for like at least a few second block pieces -- one of those solves has a pretty big gap. At the moment my roux isn't that good but meh hopefully these tips help lol. Might switch to it as my main though considering how rotationless it is. Maybe. I don't really know actually. Time for you to go get sub-8, Ross. c:

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Looks aren't really about how many times you have to actually stop turning to look at the cube. Orienting edges, UL/UR, and LL are separate looks even if you actually recognize the cases while doing turns. Lookahead doesn't change the method (and IMO the number of looks is a property of the method itself).

What i mean by method/look/lookahead/whateverstuff is that it matters where and how often you need to mentally recognize something. The less you need to think, the faster you turn, the less you pause the faster you are. Obviously you dont stop turning to recognize a case, but you do have to consciously pay attention to what ur doing instead of just spamming tps. (Eventually it will become unconcious recognition).

Great tips. Outside of the end game I think there's more that can be worked on, Ross.
Do some more 2x2x2 to identify those CMLL algs faster when they show up. During first block, try looking for like at least a few second block pieces -- one of those solves has a pretty big gap. At the moment my roux isn't that good but meh hopefully these tips help lol. Might switch to it as my main though considering how rotationless it is. Maybe. I don't really know actually. Time for you to go get sub-8, Ross. c:

Thanks! You nailed the cmll recog and inspecting second block pieces in inspectiom! Im working on both ATM. Imo, both are very important. 2x2 practice doesnt help me much for cmll recog anymore. One-looking doesnt really improve recognition time :p.

Sharkretriver

What i mean by method/look/lookahead/whateverstuff is that it matters where and how often you need to mentally recognize something. The less you need to think, the faster you turn, the less you pause the faster you are. Obviously you dont stop turning to recognize a case, but you do have to consciously pay attention to what ur doing instead of just spamming tps. (Eventually it will become unconcious recognition).

Nice. I think that you meant subconscious recognition? Going unconscious trying to recognize a case would really suck XD.
Great detail in the explanation though; I get what you mean. Although, question: if it's last few pieces you can spam tps there right?

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice. I think that you meant subconscious recognition? Going unconscious trying to recognize a case would really suck XD.
Great detail in the explanation though; I get what you mean. Although, question: if it's last few pieces you can spam tps there right?

Yes, thats what i mean. My lack of sleep rn is making me almost unconcious, but my Recog should be subconscious.
Yes, after LR edges, once you recognize either bars/dots/3-cycle, spam that **** to the finish.

Canadian from toronto, you seem. Meet soon, we will.

Edit: unless you dont compete anymore :p

Sharkretriver

Yes, thats what i mean. My lack of sleep rn is making me almost unconcious, but my Recog should be subconscious.
Yes, after LR edges, once you recognize either bars/dots/3-cycle, spam that **** to the finish.

Canadian from toronto, you seem. Meet soon, we will.

Edit: unless you dont compete anymore :p

Soon, hopefully I guess -- I might compete if I start feeling like it again.
Tbh though I still use CFOP way more often. Occasionally I use Roux but I don't think I'm doing the blockbuilding properly. Perhaps using Petrus for a while might help me more, you know, like a stepping stone.

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Soon, hopefully I guess -- I might compete if I start feeling like it again.
Tbh though I still use CFOP way more often. Occasionally I use Roux but I don't think I'm doing the blockbuilding properly. Perhaps using Petrus for a while might help me more, you know, like a stepping stone.

Use cfop if you feel its better for you. If you are genuinely interested in using roux, i guess petrus should help a bit, but the techniques for it are a little different. 2x2x2 blocks are on 2 separate layers while 3x2x1 is on 1 layer. Hope to meet you soon!

Shiv3r

WCA
2016LEWI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Use cfop if you feel its better for you. If you are genuinely interested in using roux, i guess petrus should help a bit, but the techniques for it are a little different. 2x2x2 blocks are on 2 separate layers while 3x2x1 is on 1 layer. Hope to meet you soon!
I tried petrus for a week, taking a break from roux, and after that my times for FB/SB were much lower. for learning blockbuilding petrus is nice cause onelooking the 2x2x3 is sooo easy, and I learned blockbuilding that way