• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

YuXin/FanXin Timer Now Illegal

Loiloiloi

WCA
2016CLAR04
Well, the market for speedstacks-type timers that pretty much look and work like speedstacks timers exists because of the existence of speedstacks timers.

Not to the same degree, no.

Like I say, I'm not a lawyer. I guess some of them will now be employed to test that theory.
It's not a market for "speedstacks-type timers" it's a market for Cubing timers that exists so that Cubers can record their times accurately without having to use a phone or computer

And why don't they take a risk to the same degree? You didn't explain at all.

You don't have to be a lawyer to have an opinion. I'm not trying to make a legal argument, and you keep bringing up the fact that this isn't a court to try to nullify my issues with this.

stoic

Premium Member
WCA
2013DEAR01
It's not a market for "speedstacks-type timers" it's a market for Cubing timers that exists so that Cubers can record their times accurately without having to use a phone or computer
Yes, there is a wider market for timing devices generally. It might be possible to design a two-handed stopwatch, for example, that would serve a similar purpose without potentially infringing someone else's design. In terms of cubing timers, that seemingly hasn't happened yet.
And why don't they take a risk to the same degree? You didn't explain at all.
Because there's clearly a much higher hurdle in terms of risk to design, prototype, manufacture, distribute and sell a brand-new product than there is in (allegedly) copying someone else's idea and shaving a bit off the margin.
You don't have to be a lawyer to have an opinion. I'm not trying to make a legal argument, and you keep bringing up the fact that this isn't a court to try to nullify my issues with this.
Nah, I'm not trying to nullify your issues in any other way than disagreeing with them, and I thought I'd already disagreed with the point you were making. I'm acutely aware that we're just two clowns talking on the Internet.

camcuber

WCA
2008BROW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Any credence to the idea that this whole thing might be a bluff?
It's possible but according to someone on Reddit, they have been conversing with SpeedStacks over the phone about this issue and apparently SpeedStacks was able to prove that the timers are in violation of their patent. Whether this is true or not, it would be nice to have them respond to my 2 follow up emails considering they made it seem like it was such a pressing, sensitive issue. Me having to get updates from Reddit is not professional on their part.

lolaloud125

well that sucks the speed stacks timer is more money as of august 2019

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 6.26.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 6.26.06 PM.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 6