• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] YuXin 4x4 - ZhiSheng Unicorn

What do you think about this puzzle?

• Total voters

TraciAG

WCA
2015GAGU01
I just got mine today. A little catchy at first, but after a few solves my turning style had already accounted for it. My times are actually a little better and more consistent on this cube than my Aosu. I think it's the plastic, it feels like my Chilong (which is my main). So far I like this better than both of my Aosu's, but remember it's all opinion.

Also, I have heard some people talking about changing the springs so that the inner layers are less "sluggish." I actually don't think the inner layers are sluggish, I would more likely say the speed of the inner layers just makes them more controllable. I'm actually thankful for this because I would rather have more controllable inner layers than ones that match the speed of my outer layers.

10/10 recommend

zachb20

I just ordered one on the cubicle and it'll be soooo much better than my crappy ShengShou v4

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I really, really like this cube. Out of the box it's really fast... like... too fast for someone with my crappy, innaccurate turning style. I overlubed it a bit and that slowed it down just enough for me to handle it. Still, the original speed of the cube is really impressive. As many people seem to call it, it feels like a well modded SSv5.

The stickers are great quality for what they are, but I have to harp on them for just a bit. First, the contrast between Green and Blue isn't that good... the Green is a bit darker than on most cubes, so in low-light situations, that trips up my recognition. Second, the orange is not at all attractive. It's dull, almost dirty looking. The Yellow isn't too great either, now that I'm looking at it. This is really just my opinion, though. And third, as many people have noted, the stickers are textured and kinda feel like paper rather than the vinyl feel of almost every other brand. This hinders my grip on the cube and my fingers slide off of the pieces much easier.

All of this can be fixed by getting a custom sticker set, of course.

It won't be my main, at least not for now. My I've gotten very used to the extreme sluggishness of my psuedo-dud-like but very-broken-in Aosu. But I still pick it up and play around just to enjoy the use of another cube. It's definitely fit for competition, and for the price I could recommend it to just about anyone looking to upgrade from an SS or Weisu.

Johnny

Clarksville, Arkansas / Minneapolis, Minnesota
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have decided to do an in depth Review because I have a lot to say.

I have the stickerless version. The stickered version may differ a bit.

Pros-
-cheap
-amazing feel (soft and smooth yet crisp when turning)
-good speed
-flexible and therefore durable plastic. It can bend a considerable ammount without breaking, but don't test it.

Cons-
-Pops, mostly small inner pieces. Usually very easy to pop back in. Fortunately, explosions don't occur.
-Catches. The internal pieces are sharp and modding may help. But I find the catching to be a minor annoyance rather than a deal breaker.
-Slightly slower inner layers. By no means are they sluggish, but they could be faster.

Summary- This cube is amazing. Although it has flaws, its strengths more than make up for them. The feel is exceptional and the performance is great.

Recommendation- Yes without reservation. I recommend this cube to everyone.

Overall grade- A-. The flaws of this cube prevent it from getting an A, but I cannot ignore the fact that this cube does so many things so well.

Last edited:

JeffDelucia

WCA
2010DELU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just got this cube, and in my opinion it is very very good. The feel of the cube really suits my style, and my inner layers are a bit slower than the outer ones, but it sounds like its more of an issue for other people. That said, as much as I really really like this cube, I've never tried an aosu so I can't say that it is better. For 14$, I am very very happy, my last 4x4 was a maru which is a rubiks brand compared to this.

obelisk477

WCA
2009BATT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Has anyone had an issue where one of the center tops pops off, without the internal part of the center popping as well? I don't mean to say center caps, its like the actual entire head of the piece detaches from the wing that goes down into the core. I think I could fix it with glue, but I was wondering if there was some purpose to this or something I was missing...

EvilGnome6

Premium Member
WCA
2014DECO01
I just did my first timed session with the YuXin and got my first sub 1 solve. I also set a new best Ao5 and Ao12. I'm impressed. It's slightly catchy for me but as long as I'm staying accurate it's not an issue. The speed of the outer layers is remarkable.

Rush007

WCA
2014DALA03
I got this cube from Cubelelo.com for Rs. 900 or $15 about 2-3 weeks ago. Here are my thoughts on the Yuxin 4x4-

Cons-
I really hate the stickers. I don't like the shades and hate the matte finish they have.
The layers- especially the inner ones- catch sometimes.
It feels big and heavy after using the mini Aosu.

Pros-
It is a lot faster than an Aosu.
I love the feeling, smooth, bumpy with a hint of clickiness
It is almost half the price of the Aosu, and is as good as, if not better than the Aosu.
It has decent corner cutting. (Not that you'll need it that much on a 4x4)

This is my new main and I love it!:)

Ordway Persyn

WCA
2016PERS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Heres a quick review of it. I got it from the cubicle a month or 2 ago.

Feel: smooth with a slight sandy feeling, hard to explain.

Corner cutting: a little over line to line normal, half a cubie reverse.

Speed: outer layers are really fast. Inner layers are slower but still decently fast.

Catches: there are some minor catches that happen, nothing major though.

Pops: I have never popped the cube on the solve and i don't want to try it because some people have said its a pain to assemble and I'm to afraid of an explosion.

Grade: A- Recommendation: Yes.

I would recommend this to everyone and I use it as my main. It is comparable to an Aosu.

Chrizzl

Has anyone had an issue where one of the center tops pops off, without the internal part of the center popping as well? I don't mean to say center caps, its like the actual entire head of the piece detaches from the wing that goes down into the core. I think I could fix it with glue, but I was wondering if there was some purpose to this or something I was missing...

I have the same problem, I just did the first few turns and 2 center pieces fell off already... I might glue it

Lightake.com

YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow ,see you two get the yuxin 4*4 from lightake store ,very happy .and that time this cube is really needed ,thank you for your kindly waiting .

David10000

I just got the cube, and am a bit disappointed after hearing all the good reviews. The cube is better than the Rubik's brand I used to have (obviously) but the corner cutting doesn't even get to 1 cubie and there's always this one outer side that feels very sluggish. I think this is just a tension problem though but I don't have a screwdriver right now so this is just my ootb impressions.