• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Your Parents and Cubing

freshcuber

WCA
2011MURR02
Nobody in my family really encourages it. When I'm not being super loud with my AV they tolerate it but nobody asks what I've learned or about times. I stopped telling them personal bests after about 40 seconds because nobody was interested. We also have only one computer and it's near the TV so I get booted out a lot while I'm doing averages if someone wants to watch a show(Thank you iiTimer for iPod touch:tu). More and more of my friends are getting into cubing as I get better though and that's really cool. I found out there's a senior at my school who tried previously to start a Rubik's Cube Club but didn't get anywhere with it(She's a 1:15 solver). I might try to give it another go with her since I have no competition. The closest person to me that I know has a PB of 45 and it was pretty lucky I guess. I'm the only one who knows the name of my method lol

NeedReality

WCA
2010MARK03
YouTube
Visit Channel
My family doesn't encourage me, but they don't discourage me either. They are relatively indifferent and started to become unimpressed when I hit ~30 seconds awhile back. Whenever I do it in school, tons of people are interested in it, but I've yet to teach a person and have them stick with it. My math teacher is actually the one that got me into cubing, so he encourages me a lot in school though.

charliemnky

im so sorry this is way off topic but i am new to this site and i was wondering how do i post a thread?

imaghost

YouTube
Visit Channel
My mom does not really care if I do, she realizes it is my hobby and something that I like to do. My dad is completely against me spending any money on anything saying that it has better use somewhere else. But, whenever someone else is at my house or something, my family sort of shows me off to them. My brother does this as well, probably sub-consciously, but is impressed at my skills at it. He does not care that much for learning. I got quite famous my senior year at school, got a page in the yearbook about it. Most people will remember me for it. That and my hair. I was, and still am, the fastest person I have ever met. Right now I am averaging 19s and sometimes 18, fastest avg of 5 is 14, fastest time is 12. I have had 13 different 12 second solves.

kvaele

most of my family hates it because the "clicking"(they call the sound clicking) is very loud

I have the same problem with my friends at school. They don't mind my "silent cube" (i used some petroleum to corrode the plastic a tad bit to reduce friction and sound) but when i use my "good cube" they kinda get annoyed by the sound. A girl in my grade reffers to the sound as a mad man clicking a button. wha?
The "amazingness" has worn off with my family too. When I was a begginer, they would be amazed with a sub- 3:00 time. Now, they only comment on slow solves. They dont mind, but they dont encourage me either. they ridicule my speed. if only i could tell them STFU...

beardo

My parents are tired of hearing me talk about methods. They don't really understand what the point of OLL/PLL is, or having a fast f2l + cross. They just tune me out when I talk about it.

NeuwDk

WCA
2010NEUM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My parents just tells me to do my homework instead of cubing - so they're ok with it I guess, but think my priorities should be changed. Although they support my gymnastics alot, even though that is for like 10-12 hours a week and cubing is taking around around 0-30 minutes pr. day.

Lorken

WCA
2010KHAN04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well i just started this year and next i'm going to be in grade 10 which means i have to prepare for year 11 exams.

Damn, that's intense, I didn't study for year 11, 12 or 13 exams :( I never knew people took school so seriously, not many people I knew studied at all. University is where it gets serious, until then, you're just a child.