• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Your Cubing Story

Brold

So I was watching youtube videos in March 2014 (May have been April or Febuary) and I came across MeMySelfandPi. I remember watching a lego video by him and started watching his cubing videos (National Cubing Competition). I was in awe and decided I wanted to do this. So I was leaving for a trip in May 2014 and I got a rubiks cube to take with me. I learned how to solve over the trip but didn't actually solve it till I got back. I went to my first cubing competition in January 2015. Around that time I learned roux. I got a new pb with roux (21s). I don't remember when I got the pb but it was either in February or April. I took a brake from cubing for a couple of months and now I'm getting back into it.

Matt11111

WCA
2014PINN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
In the summer of 2013, I went to my cousins' house and they had a Rubik's Cube. I started trying to solve it, and eventually, I got my own for Christmas. I learned how to solve it the next day, and that may have been a mistake at first. Because my brother also had one of his own and asked me to solve it every 2 minutes. By the new year, I was able to solve the cube in under 2 minutes or so. Eventually, I got a GuanLong for my 12th birthday, my first speedcube. By that point, I was averaging around 40 seconds, and as soon as I started using the GuanLong, I was sub-30. I practiced a bit with the GuanLong until I got an AoLong V2, which got me to sub-20, at which point, I sold my GuanLong to a friend from Mathcounts (almost sold it for $20, but I talked him out of it). Then I got a YuXin 3x3 and that was my main until about a month after I got my QiYi Thunderclap at Manhasset Fall.

I've also bought a variety of other puzzles (Mega, Pyra, Squan, Skewb, Curvy Copter, 2 4x4's, 2 5x5's, etc). Naturally, when people become speedcubers, they tend to blow their friends' minds. That's exactly what happened in 6th grade when I started bringing my cube(s) to school. Around the same time, another kid in my class was getting into magic, so the two of us kind of broke everybody's brains. We've become pretty good friends over the years, and I've learned a few magic tricks from him.

Speaking of cubing in school, I would tend to talk about cubing for an assignment whenever I possibly could. My 7th grade math fair project was Rubik's Cubes, an assignment on which I got an 86 for the presentation. But to be fair, for the entire hour that the math fair was going on, there were a ton of people at my booth. There was another kid with a booth on the other side of the cafeteria who was also doing Rubik's Cube. At one point, I had to go over there to help him out when he only had the first two layers solved (he had only memorized the first two layers at that point; he couldn't do the last layer). Now I'm in 8th grade, and we're doing senior speeches for a chance to speak to the whole middle school about a topic that interests you. And I chose, you guessed it!

At my school's variety show, I solved 4 3x3's, a 2x2, a Pyraminx, and a Skewb in 2 minutes, 26 seconds. My school posted this on Facebook, and you can see the video here.https://www.facebook.com/BerkeleyCarrollSchool/videos/10155450400635484/

What they didn't include was the beginning part, in which I explained my act and I had a friend scramble my cubes with me.

To date, I've been to 2 competitions, with 1 coming up. At Red Cross 2014, I placed 81st in 3x3, and at Manhasset 2015, I placed 28th in Pyra, 36th in 2x2, and 42nd in 3x3, all of which I'm very happy with. I'm going to the upcoming Big Apple Cube Clash, in which I will be competing in 2x2, 3x3, and OH.

Some people will just sit there letting their mind be blown while I solve a cube, but others, i.e. a group of fifth graders at my school, will follow suit and learn how to solve the Rubik's Cube. I've become pretty good friends with several of them, and one is in chess society with me, with another two on my school bus. One of them has a Rubik's brand with baby powder poured into it. Don't ask me... ask his dad. So I invited them to come to Big Apple with me.

b0ssGuy23

WCA
2015FAZE01
The Christmas of 2008, I got a Rubik's Brand. Me being the idiot I was, I attempted to "solve" it by taking it apart and to this day, It's lying in a bag waiting to be assembled.

I went to school in December of 2014, and I saw this kid in my Orchestra class with a cube and I saw him solve it. I was extremely impressed, and I bought a Newisland Pheonix for Christmas. Cubing became big at my school, so I timed myself right away. I used TheSergsB tutorial and got around a minute, and I quickly became one of the fastest at my school.

I saw a bunch of World Records on YouTube, and I always wanted to go to a competition, so I searched up "competitions near me". CubingUSA popped up, and I saw Peach State 2015. I was on the waitlist, and I got an email saying a spot was open and I claimed it quickly. I had a bunch of fun. Ray, if you're reading this, thanks for organizing my first competition! You can see my official results on my sidebar.

Me as a cuber, I'm happy. I have a lot of cubing friends, all of which I talk to on a regular basis. I average 17 seconds using CFOP.

YouCubing

WCA
2015JOIN01
2012: Me. I hate me. I collected about 25 different puzzles that I couldn't solve (except Pyra ofc xD)
Mid-Jan 2015: I picked up my C4Y 3x3x5 and tried to solve it (and couldn't ofc xD) but I then decided to REALLY try to solve all my puzzles by looking at the book that I very wittingly didn't look at when I got it in 2012.
Feb 22, 2015: Solved a 3x3 with no outside help (basically I had memorized all the algs) for the first time in ~3:36.
Sometime in March 2015: Got my first speedcube, a Newisland Phoenix (lolty) and I searched for some comps. I saw one in Hilton Head (lolnats) but didn't think much of it because I saw Peach State 2015 (lolray) and "persuaded (it wasn't that hard)" my dad to take me.
May 23, 2015: Went to Peach State yay. I got an almost overall PB avg5 of (get ready to cringe) 36.16 (keep reading once cringing session is done). And I beat lolty but didn't care because I hardly knew him then.
After that is pretty clear, I got the WR for nubbiest individual.

Oh and that's why I don't suck at Pyra, I got through the nub stages early.

josh42732

Was bored with watching gaming YouTube videos, so I thought, "What can I do that will get people to be impressed by me at school...?" so I looked up how to solve a Rubik's Cube without even having one. I stumbled across Rob's World Tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6CD08F940E40DCDB) and asked for my mom to get me a cube. She got me one, and I solved it the week I got it. I remember watching the videos and thinking, "this will be so easy" then when I ran into cases that he talked about, I couldn't figure it out. I was soooo mad at the stupid thing, and threw it against my wall. In the middle of the playlist, I started over from square 1 (see what I did there?;)) to make sure that I hadn't done anything wrong. I wrote down the algorithms that he taught on index cards, which is a strategy I still use to this day to memorize algs faster and more efficient, and practiced, practiced, and practiced even more. I would come home from school around 3:30 ish, and would practice it until 9:00 or whenever dinner was. It took me a week to learn how to solve it. After that, the cube became "too easy" to solve, and told myself that nobody will be impressed to do this. If learning it was this easy, why is it so hard? So, I learned BLD from Zane's tutorial. I wrote down the algs on index cards, and drilled them. The t-perm is still my favorite PLL to this day. I was just doing solves a whole lot, and somehow learned F2L, full PLL, and 2-look OLL. I couldn't tell you how I learned those, but I did, and now I know 37 OLL's, can solve 4x4 BLD, and am sub-18. Sorry for long post.

yay

jonlin

WCA
2012LINJ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So back in 2008, my father ended up learning how to solve that cube that was on the shelf for a while. I managed to get it as well, after a while. Not bad for 8 year old me.

I learned the basics of Fridrich from a youtuber called Rustomac. I couldn't get much faster than 50 seconds so I just quit.
I pick cubing back up when I enter the 6th grade. Seeing that Feliks had broken the WR over Erik's 7.08 inspired me to get better (Erik was one of my heroes at the time I think) and I picked up a Guhong on Amazon, I think.

My first comp was River Hill Winter 2012, and there's probably footage of me popping off on a 15.xx single someplace.

I am here now. Dunno what happened with the time.

Torch

WCA
2014GOSL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
In March or April of 2011, when I was 11, I saw a Rubik's cube at Walmart, saw that it came with instructions, and decided to buy it. At first I couldn't really understand how to do cross and first layer corners, but luckily my mom had learned a solution back in the 80s and could still remember how to make a layer intuitively. Eventually I figured out how to do everything without looking at the sheet, and my first timed solve was about six minutes. Soon I was down to about 1:00-1:30.

In August I found the World Cube Association website and discovered that the Marietta Open 2011 had happened literally like the previous Saturday. I saw it had happened for two years in a row so I assumed it would happen again the next year. I learned PLL and got down to 50 seconds, and also bought other puzzles like 5x5 and skewb, but lost interest when I misplaced my cube for a while and no competitions were happening in my area.

April of 2013 I found my cube again and very quickly relearned all my old algorithms and got down to sub-30. I learned how to do blind, followed the World Championships that summer, and joined this forum. By November I averaged about 25 (still using a Rubik's brand). My family went on vacation for my dad to do Ironman Florida, and I brought my cube, did loads of untimed solves on all color crosses, and came back color neutral (not quite, but I was back to my old times in a month).

In January 2014 I finally bought a speedcube (a SuLong) and basically instantly became sub-20. In February I saw the South Carolina competition scheduled for May, and my parents decided to take me for my birthday. Unfortunately that competition was canceled, so they agreed that I could go to Michigan May Madness 2014 instead. At that competition I got a sub-20 3x3 average and (more importantly) met Kit Clement, who talked to me about the possibility of having a competition in Georgia that December.

For the rest of 2014 I got faster (including an official sub-15 average), went some more comps (FMC USA 2014, Charlotte Fall 2014, and Florida Feast 2014), met some more people (not going to name any cuz I might leave someone out) and tried to coordinate with Kit and my church to have a competition. However, Kit couldn't make it to Georgia that winter, so I went through about 87 other delegates trying to find someone to delegate my competition. No one could, and about that time my youth minister got really busy and couldn't help get the church as a venue, so I kind of lost hope that the competition would ever happen.

In January 2015, however, I managed to reestablish contact with my youth minister to get the church as a venue, find a date that worked for Kit, and finally get everything together. Peach State 2015 on May 23-24, 2015 was announced, I believe, at the very end of January. We put a 50 competitor limit mainly because of the size of the venue, but we didn't expect to hit it. We reached capacity in just 7 weeks and managed to put over 30 people on a waiting list. Around February I also decided to go to Indiana 2015, and Mike Hughey offered me the opportunity to be a staff member for that comp. It was also that winter that Nationals 2015 was announced just 4.5 hours from where I live, and we decided to make a family vacation of it.

Peach State came around in May, and due to some cool circumstances, we had some visiting competitors like Anthony Brooks and Callum Hales-Jepp. I was quite stressed and worried about organizing my first competition but due to help from people like Kit, Anthony, Chris Tran, Chris Krueger, and James LaChance, we were able to hold all the tentative events and an extra round of 3x3. I also got some nice PBs in 2x2 and 3x3, the only events I competed in because I was organizing. After the first day of that competition, we went to Varasano's restaurant in Atlanta, which was an awesome experience even though I had to leave early.

Right after (actually even before) Peach State, I started looking into places to hold my next competition, and hit upon the Georgia World Congress Center. Though they wanted quite a lot of money, I was confident there was a lot of demand for competitions in the area and got James to be my delegate for Atlanta Open 2015 on August 8th. I chose that date since it was the week after Nationals, and I hoped that some people might stay a week in the southeast for it, though I think only 3? people actually did, and two of them stayed with James.

Also right after Peach State, Chris Tran made this post, and I offered to take him to Indiana instead, which was the same weekend. We planned to arrive two hours early for the Friday portion of the competition, but due to funny circumstances involving a dump truck and a boatload of asphalt, we ended up 30 minutes late. My results at Indiana were half-brilliant, half awful: I got overall PB single in 4x4, a 7.5 average in Pyra even though I never practiced, made Square-1 cutoff, and got 2/2 in multiblind; but I didn't get a single sub-13 in 3x3, had a rather humiliating experience in Feet, failed awfully on FMC (at least the first two solves), and DNFed all my 3 and 4BLD solves.

Side note 1: Mike, I want to apologize for asking to be added to Pyra at literally the last minute and kinda slacking in my staff duties especially on Friday night.
Side note 2: The things that happened to me at Indiana really reinforce my belief that everything happens for a reason. If I hadn't had everything happen up to multiblind, I certainly wouldn't have had my 2/2 and gotten very into multiblind, and some things happened to me the next week that definitely would not have if I had shown up to a certain place following Monday even 30 seconds later. Basically I know the butterfly effect is strong, and even a slight change that might appear good at the time, like a nice 3x3 average, would completely change the course of my life by putting me in different situations at different times.

That summer, I practiced a lot for Nationals, got to show off my cubing at driver's ed class and Catholic Heart Workcamp, and got REALLY into multiblind, to the extent I was doing two 13 cube attempts a day. I finally got 13/13 two day before Nationals started, but I wasn't too hopeful about my chances officially.

I showed up to Nationals Thursday at noon and began the most whirlwind experience of my life. From that moment until Sunday night, I would be either in the competition room, my hotel room, or on the path between them except when I went to Mass Sunday morning. I never actually saw the ocean (luckily I had actually been to Hilton Head earlier that summer and swam then). I competed in the staff comp Thursday and basically did staff stuff the rest of the weekend, since I only made a couple second rounds. I made most of my realistic goals, but none of my optimistic goals. I got 12/13 MBLD, missed a good BLD mean and a spot in finals because of 3 edges, couldn't write down an FMC solution in time, missed half the seminars because scorechecking, and basically got so little sleep I went almost literally insane on the drive home Sunday night. All in all, excellent experience!

Around Nationals I was also dealing with organizing Atlanta Open. Competitor numbers had ballooned and we hit the 100 person limit early. Because I hadn't posted that there was a limit until pretty late, I got 8000 emails asking for late entry, one person who I think tried to register but had the system glitch out on them, and ended up having a walk-up waiting list for 3x3 only in the end. The competition itself didn't go well at all; we had 100+ competitors and no real staff, so we ended up an hour behind schedule. My results were awful, aside from my first sub-11 3x3 single.

After Atlanta, Music City 2015 was announced, and I made plans to go with Chris. It was the first comp since Florida Feast 2014 that I wasn't a staff member (officially, at least, since I did help a lot). My times were bad in 2x2, 3x3, and 4x4, I missed a BLD mean again, and I did unexpectedly well in Pyra and Skewb.

After Music City, I decided to get serious and learn some algs; I learned COLL and quite a few OLLCPs, as well as some more advanced edge control and some WV. I also got into SQ-1.

It was around that time that Chris became a delegate, and Katie Hull and Jacob Ambrose organized Athens Fall 2015. This was the first competition that my mom took me to instead of my dad, and she also competed! Almost everyone cracked under the pressure of Nationals-style finals, but I got a 12.15 average and 4th place. FMC USA 2015 was the next day, and I managed 4th place there too somehow.

At that point I had been wanting to go to another Florida comp for quite a while, but they had all been on days I was busy. Luckily the weekend of Florida Feast 2015 I was free, so I got to meet a bunch of cubers I either hadn't met before or hadn't seen since Florida Feast 2014. I got a 11.39 average out of nowhere, missed a sub-10 single, missed a BLD mean again, and got clock SR average (lol). Shoutout to Benjamin Christie, I should have taken up his offer to compete in the squid hat.

My next competition was Athens Winter Mystery 2015, which only had 3x3 and Mega. I had a PB streak going back to my first competition, so I was worried that if I only did 3x3, I might lose that streak. So I bought a Megaminx that I swear had to be the only package TheCubicle shipped out on time that week, and in 9 days went from my first megaminx solve (almost 7 minutes) to an official 1:50 average. I correctly predicted that I wouldn't get a 3x3 PB (though see my thoughts on the butterfly effect in Side Note 2 above), but I did podium (sorry Katie).

So here we are today! I'm going to Music City Winter 2016, US Nationals 2016, (probably) Alpharetta Open 2016, and organizing Peach State Winter 2016. I'm starting to like 5x5 and also get back into Big and multi BLD. Hopefully I get some cubes for Christmas (6x6 pls). I have some fairly ambitious goals for the next year, but nothing impossible. Probably the one I'm most excited to achieve is trying to get some of my friends from church into cubing; hopefully Peach State Winter will get them interested?

And yes, I realize I've just basically written half a novel here, but I'm always happy to talk about my personal cubing experience. I'll continue to add to this post as I have more cubing story to tell!

UPDATE 4/15/16: Things have changed quite a bit in the 4 months since I posted this! I'll try to run through it all here.

At the beginning of the year I went to Music City Winter 2016. Before the competition I was quite worried that the large number of competitors would lead to problems, so I basically decided that I didn't care about my own times and would just try to help out the best I could with organization. Sure enough, the competition turned into what is generously described as a logistical nightmare, and the only event I did decently in was 4x4.

I came home from Nashville with all the equipment for my competition, Peach State Winter 2016, determined to have a smooth, on schedule competition. This was the first comp I organized that I was competing in most of the events. I was able to set up the room for that comp the night before, so I could compete in Multi in the morning. I totally failed Multi though, which wasn't exactly a great result to start the day. I did very well in most of the other events, however (sub-10 3x3 single, 3BLD mean, sub-6 pyra average, and sub-20 OH single). I also learned an important lesson about holding Clock as an event: never hold Clock. The worst part of the competition for me was actually trying for over 15 minutes to get the certificates to print, and ultimately having to use miniature certificates because that's all the printer would make.

The Wednesday after Peach State Winter was Ash Wednesday, and my forty(-six) day journey in the cubing desert began. I didn't cube at all during Lent, so I turned my attention to other timed pursuits, such as 15 puzzle and sorting adeck of cards as fast as possible. I did sell a bunch of video games, so I would have money to buy new cubes as soon as I could.

Right after Easter I jumped right back into cubing and found I really hadn't lost any ground there, though it took a couple days to get used to how a 3x3 turns again and I've forgotten a few algs here and there. I bought a 6x6 and 7x7 and got kinda fast.
Now I have the ability to do all official events (though 5BLD is kinda iffy).

The outlook for now: I'm going to Alpharetta Open 2016 in 8 days. I told a non-cubing friend that I was going to this competition. I was talking about the different events I was competing in, and since she seemed pretty impressed by feetsolving, I declared that I would definitely break the state record for feet. So now I've got to do that or else I'm going to look really stupid. (It shouldn't be a problem though, state record is 1:35 single, 1:39 mean, and I average 1:15). I also really want to beat cutoff in 6x6 and improve my 3BLD results. I literally don't care at all about the other events.

Later this year, I am probably going to Cajun Cube Clash in June, definitely to Nationals in July, and hopefully a few more comps. I don't have any plans for the next one I organize, but some time this summer maybe?

Last edited:

gateway cuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
well,
A little over 2 Years ago this kid I knew (he actually went to dixon fall with me) learned to solve the cube and I was fascinated, so slowly over about a month or so he taught beginners First 2 Layers, in another month I could solve the whole thing in around 1:00. Then my friend bought a Zhanchi and got semi-decent TPS I thought it was magical or something, so I started learning F2l then 2 look OLL then full PLL and in 2 months or so I averaged about 30 by this time I too had bought a Zhanchi. One day my friend bought a lingpo and I was even more hooked discovering there were more cubes than just a 3x3, I taught myself to solve the 2x2 a cared about nothing else for a while. Then I discover such a thing as full OLL and I thought I was MR. BIG SHOT for learning it (yes I learned full OLL when I was barely sub 30). And while I hoarded algs my friend bought a bunch of cubes (getting me more hooked) I learned to solve a few... Then I practised a lot! And finally became sub 20-ish. And then with the same kid (we do pretty much everything together) we went on a trip to florida and I learned to solve all his cubes (2-4, Pyra, skewb, Mega, Mirror Blocks, I also got My first BLD success) It was on this trip I knew I was gonna be world class on pyra (it'd be nice if one close by would actually have Pyra). After This trip my friend bought a Cubicle Aolong V2 I didn't know such magic existed! I began to focus once again on 3x3 and Improved my look-ahead a bit and got a PB single of 12.75 when I averaged about 18 (still with a Zhanchi) I thought I'd never Break that PB so I bought some cubes for myself (yupo 2x2, Moyu Pyra, weisu 4x4) but the very next week I got a 10.22 single and my average dropped even More this time to 17 secs so I decided I would continue with 3x3 (not forgetting the other events) But then Tragedy struck, My Zhanchi with over 20,000 solves, broke... I then modded my rubik's brand and used it for a while because I was broke ,then I too bought an Aolong V2. For a while I wasn't that into cubing but I still did it to some degree. Then I discovered Speedsolving And got hooked again. My averages at this point were about 2x2 5 secs 3x3 16 secs 4x4 lol pyra 5 secs BLD 10:00 when I got a success and skewb 20. I remember I had just gotten a rubik's brand 5x5 when I joined. Since then me and my friend have both practised vigorously, And I started buy a bunch of cubes like the yuhu, guansu, thunderclap, and once it came out the gts. Now after roughly 2 years I average, 2x2: 3.0 3x3: used to avg 12 but I think I'm stuck at 13 again 4x4: sub 1:10 5x5: lol Pyra 4.0 Skewb 7.2 BLD: 4:45 Squan: 40.0 everything else: bad

and then there's this
Talking muffins guide the way. Told me stories of the color cube. How color cube was friendly. Hold the color cube and twist and turn said the muffin. Talking muffin guide the way. Stare into stars, talking muffin commanded. Look into sky, twisty twist color cube. Stars tell you how to twisty twist, talking muffin say. So I listen to star man and star man say how the twisty twist happens. Look down and color cube is same on all the sides. Talking muffin, clap clap his muffin hands. Star man nods at approval. Talking muffin take the color cube again and twisty twist. Star man telling me how to twist. Muffin clap clap with his muffin hands again. Star man exhales. star dust cover the color cube. Star man fly away with talking muffin. They say good bye and tell me that I twisty twist color cube all on my own. I'm scared because star man always tell me how to twisty twist. Talking muffin talks and says. Color cube is friend. color cube will be good. keep twisty twist the color cube talking muffin says because you are star man now. I believe in talking muffin, I start attending competitions for color cube. Always get into final round but not strong enough with old star man telling me how to twisty twist. In heart and in soul, still hear talking muffin even if he gone with star man and I am star man now.

Then I woke up and watched a couple of videos and learned to cube, made tutorial videos, got a bit faster at cubing, started to host a cubing podcast and here I am.
I think I just rediscovered the greatest post on any site ever....

Weston

Premium Member
WCA
2008MIZU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
2007:
  • Solved cube for the first time, learned from Jessica Fridrich's Website.

2008:
  • Bought my first DIY, but it was worse than my Rubik's brand.
  • Entered my first competition, eliminated first round. Met "famous" cubers like Lucas Garron, Tyson Mao, Shelley Chang

2009:
  • Went to my first out of state competition in Texas to qualify for Nationals (when they had qualifications)
  • Met Anthony Brooks in Texas
  • Mid 2009: Went to US Nationals and met Kevin Hays, got eliminated in the first round of everything, except Magic.
2010:
  • Started traveling around with Anthony winning comps in the midwest when everyone was slow.
  • Started taking OH seriously
  • Made finals in 3x3 at US Nationals at MIT,
  • Won my first competition in 3x3, and won 5/8 events at that competition.
2011:
  • Started winning local California comps in OH
  • Got OH avg NAR at US Nationals
  • Became OH US National Champion for the first time

2012:
  • Fail at US Nationals
2013:
  • Got third at World Championships in Vegas, under Feliks and Pleskowicz
  • Become OH US National Champion again
2014:
  • Buster out at US Nationals again

2015:
  • Podium at US Nationals for OH
  • Full step sub 10 OH single with a +2 epic fail
  • Later get first official sub 10 OH single

2016:
  • I get Max Park'd at US Nationals
  • Started cubing seriously again and practicing WC 2017

YouCubing

WCA
2015JOIN01
2012: Me. I hate me. I collected about 25 different puzzles that I couldn't solve (except Pyra ofc xD)
Mid-Jan 2015: I picked up my C4Y 3x3x5 and tried to solve it (and couldn't ofc xD) but I then decided to REALLY try to solve all my puzzles by looking at the book that I very wittingly didn't look at when I got it in 2012.
Feb 22, 2015: Solved a 3x3 with no outside help (basically I had memorized all the algs) for the first time in ~3:36.
Sometime in March 2015: Got my first speedcube, a Newisland Phoenix (lolty) and I searched for some comps. I saw one in Hilton Head (lolnats) but didn't think much of it because I saw Peach State 2015 (lolray) and "persuaded (it wasn't that hard)" my dad to take me.
May 23, 2015: Went to Peach State yay. I got an almost overall PB avg5 of (get ready to cringe) 36.16 (keep reading once cringing session is done). And I beat lolty but didn't care because I hardly knew him then.
After that is pretty clear, I got the WR for nubbiest individual.

Oh and that's why I don't suck at Pyra, I got through the nub stages early.
cont.
Jul 30, 2015: got my first Georgia State record at Nats (15.90 slow clock single)
Dec 12, 2015: podiumed in two mystery events at a comp :p
Mar 19, 2016: got my first official podium (2nd place in Pyra, avg of 6.08)
Jun 4, 2016: got my first official win (4.55 Pyra avg)
Jul 17, 2016: got my first top 100 in the world official result, also state record lel (15.88 squan avg)
Oct 8, 2016: got my first double podium (1st place in squan, 3rd place in clock). also broke both squan state records, the first time I've ever held two at juance. Also first top 50 in the world result (13.24 ridiculous squan avg)

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
2007: Learn how to cube.
2008: Go to comps.
2009: Go to Big Cubes Summer and feel bad for using CFOP, so switched to the most unusual method at the time, ZB.
2010: Party way too hard during sophomore year of college, and quit cubing for Starcraft.
2015: Realise that the only thing in life that I wasn't a total failure at was cubing. Learned ZBLL all over again, this time with ZZ. Become a delegate and then do lots of comps.
2016: Switched to ZZ-CT, and started working at The Cubicle.

asacuber

WCA
2015SANT44
YouTube
Visit Channel
~2008-2009- My mum gets me a storebought cube
July 2013: There was this guy in my school(3 years older than me) who could solve a rubik's cube. It was pretty impressive.He also taught my friend to solve a side(which was also very impressive :p)
August 2013- My friend solves a side of that cube during my birthday
None of this really motivated me to learn.
Nov2013- On my way to chess class my friend takes out a Rubik's Cube and solves it. I was super amazed this time :p
(2 minutes seemed like superhuman xD)
Dec2013-I try and learn, my rubiks cube explodes. So my mum gets me an actual 'Rubik's' Cube.I learn with this and finally succeed. My first timed attempt was 4:40. I improve a lot and get my first sub1 single.
*I'll put the rest of it later*

tacgnol

WCA
2009RIZE01
2007ish - find a rubik's cube in my uncle's basement, get almost the whole blue side
2009 - get a rubik's cube and learn to solve it from THE LEGENDARY DAN BROWN TUTORIAL and become color neutral. solve it at school and impress friends. go to first competition and realize i'm actually pretty bad.
2010 - start to git gud also get a clock for the first time
2011 -
start to git gudder and learn f2l. fall in love with clock.
2012 - quit mostly because of school and life
2016 - get back into it and realize how much i suck
2023 - set clock WR.

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
2000 - while living in a shack in Thailand, met a mad, pill-popping Irishman named Finbar, who had a Rubik's cube. He taught me beginner's first 2 layers, but didn't know how to solve the last layer.
2001 - went to uni. Bought a cube. Nearly managed to solve LL, but kept getting stuck. Plundered the (VERY limited) resources then available online (Lars Petrus page, mainly), mangled together an inefficient method which worked for me. Never focussed on speed.
2012 - discovered speedcubing, via YouTube and BadMephisto. Bought a Guhong 2. Went from about 90s average to about 30 seconds in a few months.
2014 - quit cubing.
2016 - got sick. Rediscovered cubing. Got globally sub-19. Discovered 4x4. Got globally sub-1:40.
2017 - got well. Finished learning OLL. Got globally sub-17, with a sub-10 sniggle. Got globally sub-1:15 on 4x4, with a sub-1 sniggle.

oneshot

YouTube
Visit Channel
I've always been interested in the Rubik's cube. I'm kind of a minimalist, so I was looking for a hobby that didn't require a lot of stuff/equipment. Thought speed solving could be it. I'm older, 42, so I'm not so interested in speed, but really got into blind solving. Now I'm into MBLD, so I just ordered 20 cubes. So much for not requiring lots of stuff.

Douf

At age 37, I saw Lucas' WR video in the media and wanted to investigate what it takes to be able to do that. Now that I at least have an idea what it takes, I'm blown away and many miles outside that realm (31 sec. PB). But I love just solving and I also discovered a love for Megaminx! So thank you Lucas for the inspiration.

Also I decided I wanted to break Phillip Espinoza's WR of 845 cubes solved while running a marathon. Still need practice obviously, plus I can't find support team that will take the whole thing seriously. On this record, has anyone else noticed that it has not yet been verified by Guinness even after Phillip reaching out several times to them? Just curious because if for some (very unfortunate) reason his attempt is nullified, that means the current record to break is only 175...
I hope it's not nullified because I've seen his footage and what Philip did is incredibly impressive.

Sorry to stray off topic. Just an older cuber new to the scene who loves the hobby and the competitiveness of it all.