• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

X-Man Tornado v3

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
To me the WRM 2021 and Tornado V3 Flagship are very similar in feel and performance. The Tornado has core magnets but it is still lighter (72g vs 78g). It feels, sounds and performs about the same. There is no issue with quality on my Flagship. So, the choice here depends on whether you care about the difference in weight. The WRM 2021 is better value, if not. I cannot honestly feel an improvement from the use of core magnets in this Flagship, (nor in a WRM 2021 with CH core magnets added).

As for Maglev versions of these two cubes, I suggest you also consider the actual benefit from the use of Maglev in cubes. I only have the Maglev WRM, but it seems again that any real world performance benefit in speed solving is arguable, based on several reviews I read. Maglev makes the cubes heavier (by another 6g), more expensive, different in feel and in sound, and also needs adjustment in finger skills, but not necessarily better in performance. It seems to be the novelty and in the case of the Maglev WRM, also the purple internals, that you are paying for. I'm also wondering about the real benefit of Maglev. I suspect it will be further developed and improved in future models, but at this time, I am not convinced.

Nooby-Cuber

The flagship is more stable than the standard, and the pioneer is slightly faster than the flagship. Personally I find the flagship too fast, so the pioneer version doesn't make any sense to me, but each to their own.
Ah okay makes sense
Just a note, this cube eats up lube just like the v2.
oh good to know. I have yet to lube it because I'm still trying to find exactly how I want the settings and break it in a little more, then I'll lube it based on that.
To me the WRM 2021 and Tornado V3 Flagship are very similar in feel and performance. The Tornado has core magnets but it is still lighter (72g vs 78g). It feels, sounds and performs about the same. There is no issue with quality on my Flagship. So, the choice here depends on whether you care about the difference in weight. The WRM 2021 is better value, if not. I cannot honestly feel an improvement from the use of core magnets in this Flagship, (nor in a WRM 2021 with CH core magnets added).

As for Maglev versions of these two cubes, I suggest you also consider the actual benefit from the use of Maglev in cubes. I only have the Maglev WRM, but it seems again that any real world performance benefit in speed solving is arguable, based on several reviews I read. Maglev makes the cubes heavier (by another 6g), more expensive, different in feel and in sound, and also needs adjustment in finger skills, but not necessarily better in performance. It seems to be the novelty and in the case of the Maglev WRM, also the purple internals, that you are paying for. I'm also wondering about the real benefit of Maglev. I suspect it will be further developed and improved in future models, but at this time, I am not convinced.
Doesn't maglev make cubes quieter? Obviously it eliminates springs noise and makes cubes have less friction. Wouldn't be surprised if it turns into just a different feel that some people like and some don't

Kaiju_cube

idk if it makes them quieter. My Gan 12 sounds like it's full of ball bearings or something. I wouldn't say it's quiet at all.

Smooth and nice? Yeah. Quiet? No not really.

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
idk if it makes them quieter. My Gan 12 sounds like it's full of ball bearings or something. I wouldn't say it's quiet at all.

Smooth and nice? Yeah. Quiet? No not really.
I agree. The elimination of spring noise in a cube doesn't do much, as the noise is mainly from the cube pieces scratching or scraping each other.

Last edited:

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
It’s on a Chinese website called ziicube, a famously cheap store. I don’t really buy from there much as it takes like 2 weeks to ship and I’m impatient lol. Shop there if you’re tight on cash. An rs3 2020 is less than $3 which is unreal
it takes like a full month or two for shipping depending on where you live and how lucky you are with customs delays. I have a thread on it btw

AJT17

WCA
2022TELF01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It’s on a Chinese website called ziicube, a famously cheap store. I don’t really buy from there much as it takes like 2 weeks to ship and I’m impatient lol. Shop there if you’re tight on cash. An rs3 2020 is less than $3 which is unreal
That is really cheap, I might start shopping there sometimes.

Ander

it takes like a full month or two for shipping depending on where you live and how lucky you are with customs delays. I have a thread on it btw
Takes two weeks to Europe with the cheapest shipping. Also, customs are taken care of by them. Very good experience so far as far as I am concerned. Won't get the V3 though.

Nooby-Cuber

oh wow that's insane
is shipping a lot of money to the USA?

WCA
2022LOHK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
my tornado v3 review
the tornado v3 to me is the best cube on the market right now
it is stable with good cornercutting. the magnets are very nice and fit me very well. it is quiet and feels very nice. the cube requires a little breaking in but once it is broken in, it will be very good. the new hand adjustable system is very convenient. i use the flagship right now as it is actually quite fast out of the box already. when i tried the pioneer at a stall, i overshooted sometimes so i bought the flagship instead. it has the same cornercutting range as the valk elite thhe main difference is the valk elite has more effortless cornercutting while the tornado v3 is more stable. the tornado v3 is my new main.
my settings

tensions 2
springs 1
magnets 4
*subject to change

Last edited:

Nooby-Cuber

Did anyone else find the center caps extremely hard to get off? One night after a lot of messing with different settings and repeatedly taking off the caps my thumb was bleeding from it

SH03L4C3

The orange centerpiece from your main 3x3
Did anyone else find the center caps extremely hard to get off? One night after a lot of messing with different settings and repeatedly taking off the caps my thumb was bleeding from it
yeah, it's really annoying. 10x worse than the gan x I have which is already really annoying to remove

Apparently, the magnet clicking issue I have is common and according to the cubicle, all you have to do to fix it is put a heavier lube in the magnet adjustment area.

WCA
2023FUKU01
I have just got my Tornado v3 pioneer today. I found it much easier to set up than my previous main, the wr maglev with CH core magnets. Right ootb, it is very fast. After I have remove the factory lube, set it up and lube it, it has become much more stable and smooth. I really love the speed and the glossy plastic. It corner cut well as well, especially reverse. I feel that the core magnets really help with the stability a lot. The turning is very light. I would also like to mention that although the cube came with even tensions and elasticity, which are both in setting 3, but the magnet strengths are uneven. After setting it up well, it has become my new main instantly.

tensions 4
elasticity 3
magnets 2 (its on the weaker side as 3 is a bit too bumpy for me)

Last edited: