• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

X-Man Tornado v3

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Edit: After about 50-60 solves with it I have to say more than anything it reminds me of a YJ Little Magic, but with stronger megnets and slightly better corner cutting. The feel of the plastic and the turns, the soft-clack of it, it doesn't feel at all to me like a Tornado V2, it feels like a Yuxin Little Magic, but better.
The YLM feels very cheap (at least the original) so that's probably not a favorable comparison.

Kaiju_cube

Sorry that's what it feels like to me. I like the YJ Little Magic and used it a lot. It feels very similar to me. The soft-clack of the plastic feels extremely similar to the Little Magic.

I never thought the YJ LM felt cheap but I guess others have a differing opinion.

Honestly I still haven't found a cube that I think is a better deal than the Gan 356 Lite magnetic. It's like $23. and is fantastic right out of the box. I've probably bought like 8 of them and given away 6.

The WRM 2021 Maglev is probably another one I think is a fantastic cube for the price.

I really don't like going over $30. for a cube. I've done it plenty of times but that's the dividing line for me. I think most people can get a fantastic cube for $30 or less. No need to spend $70-$80 on a cube unless you really want to and are comfortable spending that on a cube.

I don't remember paying $40. for the Tornado v3 Maglev (but I guess I did?)... but I don't feel it's a $40. cube. Not when you can get the Gan 356 Lite or WRM maglev for under $30.

SH03L4C3

The orange centerpiece from your main 3x3
Well I contacted tc and they said that they are waiting for more shipments from qiyi to arrive so they can fulfill the current preorders for those two. They also said they are expecting the shipment mid October so it seems like I will be waiting another 10-15 days before it ships
Ok thanks

How strong are the core magnets? Are they like the gan 11, 12, or in between?

Edit: Also how is the corner cutting?

Last edited:

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
It has just arrived, the Flagship version that I ordered. I have mixed feeling about this new model so far, after 30 minutes of play.

I have heard that the corner cutting has been improved from the tornado v2, especially the reverse.
Yes, it has improved, and IMO, only the reverse corner cutting of the V2 was a concern.

Here are what I have found so far about the Flagship. I have set the magnet strength to 4, and left the spring settings unchanged at 3. It is louder, sounds sharper (higher pitch), feels less smooth and not as nice as the V2. It feel "airy" and is not as solid as the V2 when turning. I don't like this airy feel. I suppose this is similar to the latest lightweight Gan cubes. I only have the Mini M Pro. The Flagship however weighs the same as the V2, even with the additional core magnets. In short, the V2 feels noticeably nicer to turn and also sounds better. Quality is good and edges are smooth though on the V3.

The spring adjustment dials of this V3 cube are also a disappointment for me. The use of transparent plastic makes it harder to see those little numbers and colours representing strengths of the settings. The old opaque white dials are much clearer. Photos later. The "dish" underneath this centre piece is now larger and have holes. (See third photo). There are apparently weight saving changes, besides the shape changes (that helps corner cutting). Here's an example of a change in shape. If you look closely at the edge pieces, you should be able to see a subtle change. The curved edge that faces the centre piece is more curved now than in V2. See the last photo. The cube on the left is the V3, and the one on the right is the V2 (with primary colour). Compare the shape of the white pieces, and also the size of the hole in between the pieces. I believe those changes, among other things, are helping the corner cutting.

I have three V2s (one is the primary colour version). So I am very familiar with it. This new V3 Flagship is faster, more snappy, corner cuts better, and should be clearly better in terms of performance. Many reviewers mentioned it is similar to the V2, but I think it is more similar to the Moyu WRM 2021 in terms of the sound, the feel and performance. I however missed the quiet, muffled sound of the V2 and its fluid turning. I can see speedcubers really loving it, since speed is all that matters to them.

UPDATE after another day. This cube benefits a lot from breaking in. It is now smoother and a little bit quieter, though clearly less smooth and less quiet than V2. It is again very similar to the WRM 2021 when solving, but lighter. The cube that I found to be similar to the V2 and also quite smooth is the WRM Maglev, which is however clearly heavier. It's a good thing if these two makers are learning from each other.

Attachments

• 20221007_154055~2.jpg
    20221007_154055~2.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221007_155348.jpg
    20221007_155348.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221007_155856.jpg
    20221007_155856.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20221007_184359.jpg
    20221007_184359.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 17
WCA
2023FUKU01
The spring adjustment dials of this V3 cube are also a disappointment for me. The use of transparent plastic makes it harder to see those little numbers and colours representing strengths of the settings. The old opaque white dials are much clearer. Photos later. The "dish" underneath this centre piece is now larger and have holes. (See third photo). There are apparently weight saving changes, besides the shape changes (that helps corner cutting). Here's an example of a change in shape. If you look closely at the edge pieces, you should be able to see a subtle change. The curved edge that faces the centre piece is more curved now than in V2. See the last photo. The cube on the left is the V3, and the one on the right is the V2 (with primary colour). Compare the shape of the white pieces, and also the size of the hole in between the pieces. I believe those changes, among other things, are helping the corner cutting.
I have heard that the dials of the flagship version are transparent but the dial of the pioneer version are in primary color.

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
I have heard that the dials of the flagship version are transparent but the dial of the pioneer version are in primary color.
What were they thinking? It makes no sense. I still think the white dials of the V2 is better than the primary colour dials of the Pioneer and of course the transparent dials of the Flagship.

Last edited:

Vardox12

Do you think the Tornado v3 or the WRM 2021 is a better option? I want to get a better 3x3 and I can't decide between the two. The WRM is cheaper and has been on the market for a longer time, so it probably has less issues. But I've had many people recommend me the v3 and I don't know. Maglev or not?

SH03L4C3

The orange centerpiece from your main 3x3
I surprisingly got mine yesterday. Ootb it was blocky and could hardly cut 45 degrees. After messing around, I found the best setting for me was tension on 2 and axis distance on one. Magnets are currently on 4 but I'm still messing around with them to find my optimal setup. It was pretty nice and fast out of the box, but I still lubed it with weight 4 and 4 drops of dnm.

With this configuration it does rarely have weird twisty lockups but it's still really good. I like it a bit over the rs3m which I have mained for almost 2 years because it is lighter, bigger and quieter, but I don't think like it as much compared to my friend's wrm2021(iirc), so I might still pick one up in the future.

Now there were a few quality control things when I got it. For example, one of my magnets are not glued in the capsule, so whenever I turn that later I hear a click noise ( like older skewbs make but less loud). Additionally, one of my handles for adjusting stuff in the center is not attached from one side, and it is only a matter of time before it completely breaks off. At least it is something you mess with at first and not touch again.

Honestly it's a really good cube worth the 35$ but I think it was a bit over hyped with that 5 month buildup

Kaiju_cube

Do you think the Tornado v3 or the WRM 2021 is a better option? I want to get a better 3x3 and I can't decide between the two. The WRM is cheaper and has been on the market for a longer time, so it probably has less issues. But I've had many people recommend me the v3 and I don't know. Maglev or not?

between the two I'd get the WRM 2021 maglev. I've bought a couple of them.

I bought one Tornado V3 and wont be getting another one. It's not a bad cube, but there's better out there.

Also, seriously consider the Gan 356 M Lite. It's like $24. and is a fantastic cube.

Amazon.com: GAN 356 M, 3x3 Magnetic Speed Cube

WCA
2023FUKU01
between the two I'd get the WRM 2021 maglev. I've bought a couple of them.

I bought one Tornado V3 and wont be getting another one. It's not a bad cube, but there's better out there.

Also, seriously consider the Gan 356 M Lite. It's like $24. and is a fantastic cube.

Amazon.com: GAN 356 M, 3x3 Magnetic Speed Cube
I have the wr maglev, but I 'm getting the Tornado v3 Pioneer as ppl said that it is better. Is it?

Kaiju_cube

not in my opinion but opinions vary. I think it catches and locks up more than the WRM 2021 Maglev,.. or the Gan 356 M Lite,... both of which cost less.

Like I mentioned earlier the V3 Tornado reminds me very much of the Yuxin Little Magic.

Nooby-Cuber

Is there a huge difference between the standard, pioneer, and flagship? I get they have more features (maglev and magnetic core), but how much of an impact do those features actually make?

Eli Apperson

WCA
2022APPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is there a huge difference between the standard, pioneer, and flagship? I get they have more features (maglev and magnetic core), but how much of an impact do those features actually make?
The flagship is more stable than the standard, and the pioneer is slightly faster than the flagship. Personally I find the flagship too fast, so the pioneer version doesn't make any sense to me, but each to their own.

Just a note, this cube eats up lube just like the v2.