• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

X-Man Tornado V2 Magnetic 3x3 came in today

Kaiju_cube

20210608_123250.jpg
I really love the black and red, two favorite colors in one cube internal? ~~Love!~~

20210608_123313.jpg
Nice color separation

20210608_123339.jpg

Tiny bit smaller than the Gan 356

Just came in. The packaging was nice, pretty typical of flagship cubes these days. A nice pull-apart box with the cube in a plastic case and a small box of accessories next to it.

The cube was not all greasy which is nice, so many of them are, (my JPerm cube is still leaking grease and I got it weeks ago).

First impressions are that the Tornado V2 feels almost exactly like my Gan 356, which is awesome because I love that cube. It's not loose, it's not too stiff at all, it has that super smooth quiet feeling like a Gan cube. Before today I would've said, "Nothing feels like a Gan cube except a Gan cube"... but this cube to me feels like a Gan cube. If you put it in my hands and I was blindfolded the super smooth turning, the quietness of the cube, the almost 'zero friction' feeling when you're making turns, all would have me thinking I was holding a Gan cube. The Gan cube is just a bit more loose/deformable, the Tornado is tighter but not too tight at all. (not like a Valk, for example)

Pretty amazing so far, I like it a lot.

For the price getting something that looks fantastic and feels like a Gan is pretty amazing. I think this cube may be a really hot seller, the price point is great and the quality and feeling of it is great.

...also I really, really, really love the black and red internals. That just looks beautiful.

I have X-man cubes and Pyraminx's and honestly I haven't liked any of them so I wasn't sure what to expect with this, I really only bought it because I like the red and black (and I'm just a sucker for new cubes I guess), but I'm really glad I got it now and think it's not going to be leaving my desk. It'll be right next to my MGC Elite and Gan 356.

Good cube. Would recommend. :cool:

Last edited:

Kaiju_cube

after an hour spent playing with it I think it might be my new main cube. Maybe it's the honeymoon phase?.. but this cube is great.

I'm not sure if it's because it's just a tiny bit smaller than what I normally use, but I'm finding the PLL to be just a tiny bit easier/smoother/faster. For example Uperm(b) is just a bit easier to get my index finger on the front of the U layer and flick it counter-clockwise.

Very nice.

...(sigh) .. .probably need to order another one, lol.

Last edited:

Kaiju_cube

yeah trying to automate some Git functions lately.

Just ordered another Tornado from The Cubicle, I forgot I had those Loyalty reward points so it's pretty cheap. Calling that a win.

Really liking this cube a lot, haven't put it down since it came in.

It's weird I got his first one from SpeedCubeShop and it's already here. The Cubicle still says pre-order? Oh well, no hurry.

Kaiju_cube

OLL, it helps me learn them when I write them down. Then when I know it I cross it out.

Still working on 2 look OLL. For some reason 2 look PLL I picked up quickly but the OLL algs are taking a while, I only have about 5 of them memorized. The headlights one with the D layer move for some reason I keep forgetting.

So I prop up my sketch book on my desk and when I take a break from work I pick up a cube and drill some algs.

Dan the Beginner

Premium Member
Nice pictures. Thnks, Kaiju. I am also very happy with mine, and it seems even better and smoother after more use as my fingers get used to the light weight and with more lube. Especially this morning, I could not hear it at all , so quiet! That's before I had my first coffee and put on my hearing aids. ;) :D

Kaiju_cube

ok some final thoughts/observations after a couple days and a couple hundred solves.

I love this cube, it's exactly what I wanted without knowing this is exactly what I wanted.

It's a little bit smaller than most of my other cubes, it's the same size as my Valk. This makes most fingerturns a little bit easier for me when doing OLL and PLL.

It's very smooth turning and I've had no lockups. The feel of the turning reminds me of Gan, it's silky and effortless.

The feel of the plastic is grippy and 'plastic',.. hard to describe. But my MoYu cubes have a very plastic feeling like a kids toy, a sort of shiny hard toy-like plastic. Gan has a feeling like frosted glass, it's a very dry and matte finish to me. This is shiny and has excellent grip but it doesn't have that 'toy' feeling. It feels to me like someone put a Gan on a buffing wheel and made it shiny and grippy.

The tightness is almost like my Valk, I'd say it's probably closest to my MGC, which is fine that's exactly how I like it. I like cubes in the goldilocks range, not too tight and not too loose. I don't want them to smoosh and deform if I squeeze them, but I don't want them so tight they can lock up.

I put away my (beloved) Gan 356 from my desk and now have the Tornado V2 in its place.

I went through all my cubes yesterday assessing what I liked and didn't like about each of them and sort of organizing them, and chose 5 to keep on my desk. I realized later all 5 I chose are Qiyi cubes, .. much to my surprise. (I always thought I liked Gan and MoYu best).

my 5:

Tornado v2 M
YJ MGC Elite (stickered)
The Valk M (stickered)
YJ MGC M (stickered)
Thunderclap v3 M (stickered)

I only list these so anyone reading this might say, "Oh I like those cubes too, so I'll probably like the Tornado v2 as well." The Tornado really feels to me like those other Qiyi cubes mated with a Gan, just a perfect combination of the 2 styles of cube into one really excellent cube.

I try not to write a real 'review' for any cubes, I'm just a cuber and collector, but I thought maybe my thoughts and impressions could be of some use to some people. I like the YouTube videos I see but many of them sort of say the same things about every cube and don't compare them to other cubes so it's hard to get a feel for what the cube might be like in your hands.

...also some of the reviewers are so good at cubing they can probably make any cube look and sound good. I'm just a normal cuber. I solve under a minute using CFOP and 2Look, but I'm not sub 20 yet.

20210610_093301.jpg

Last edited:

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I try not to write a real 'review' for any cubes, I'm just a cuber and collector, but I thought maybe my thoughts and impressions could be of some use to some people. I like the YouTube videos I see but many of them sort of say the same things about every cube and don't compare them to other cubes so it's hard to get a feel for what the cube might be like in your hands.

...also some of the reviewers are so good at cubing they can probably make any cube look and sound good. I'm just a normal cuber. I solve under a minute using CFOP and 2Look, but I'm not sub 20 yet.

Be the change you wish to see in the world - I encourage everyone to try making videos at least once :D

Scollier

Dream inside of a Dream inside of a Dream
YouTube
Visit Channel
I tried. I loved filming but HATED editing
Maybe it was just my bad software, does anyone recommend a free editor?

I have a chromebook, so I can't use iMovie (sadly) so I use Kapwing. And yeah, filming is fun, but editing is a pain. That's why I usually avoid videos that take a lot of editing, and stick to videos such as unboxings, cube setups, PB's, and maybe a few ao5's.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I actually enjoy editing a lot, although I don't edit as aggressively as I could.
My main program is Vegas Pro but for 90% of usecases Shotcut does the job. The description of my video contains a few more paragraphs on my thoughts

povlhp

I tried. I loved filming but HATED editing
Maybe it was just my bad software, does anyone recommend a free editor?
Davinci Resolve is great, and can do everything. Costs money for the version that supports graphics card compression though. But you can do almost everything in the free version, exports are just slower.
I came from FCPX on MacOS, and Resolve is the closest I have found on Windows.

Bought it with the free Speed Editor keyboard which I sold for little over half the total price.