• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Would it be a good idea for Rubik's Cube tutorials to introduce the concept of color neutrality from the very beginning?

Matt11111

WCA
2014PINN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Color neutrality is something I've considered trying several times over the past few years, but I've never actually made a serious enough effort to implement them into my normal solving. Probably should get on that but that's a story for another time. Anyway, I'm sure a lot of other people have tried to become color neutral but never actually did, but I was wondering. What if folks made tutorials for the beginner method where they say to pick any color to start on?

I've seen my fair share of Rubik's Cube tutorial videos, and all of them say to start with a specific color cross. Would it be a good idea though to teach people to look at every color cross before deciding which one you want to do? My line of thought is that if we do that, then the question of "Should I become color neutral?" will never come up for people who follow that hypothetical video in particular, because they're already in the mindset that they can start on any color. So what do you guys think?

ZZ'er

I think color neutrality will only benefit you if you are planning on being sub 10, but that's just my opinion.

Matt11111

WCA
2014PINN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Maybe, but it doesn't hurt at all to start from the beginning.
Pretty much what I'm thinking yea. Plus a lot of people who learn how to solve a cube for the first time don't know right away whether they want to get fast at it or just learn how so you can be like "hey check it out fellas, pass me that cube and I'll solve it for you."

GAN 356 X

Jay's latest email concerned colour neutrality. Yes, I think it would be good, but only if you started simply as Petrus Quber said and then added colour neutrality when you were averaging 2 minutes
I agree personally. Probably best just to say, pick the colour on the bottom. Then you can like introduce how to look for the best cross later, but not hassle of over being too used to a specific colour.