• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[wiki] What are you famous for?

macky

Premium Member
WCA
2003MAKI01
A big problem IMO is that many, many people deserves a wiki article.
Yes, but I don't see that as a problem.

I don't know if it's possible, but a idea could be: send an explicative note to all WCA delegates, to ask them a relatively short list of cubers from their country who stand out for times, titles or investment since 2003?
This would be great. I can ask around.

With a bit time and not even a PC, I could easily name 100 people who could logically have an article about themselves (judging by the people who already have one). So hard work to recense them, and write about...
For now, if you have the time, I'd really appreciate such a list!

Robert-Y

WCA
2009YAUR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Probably being a little biased, but I think Chris Olson deserves one. He was once 3rd in the world for 2x2 and uses full EG. He's still 4th in the world, by the way.

i think cameron stollery deserves a wiki since he's 2nd in the world for 2x2 and for his beastly uwr's :)

Maybe we should add anyone who was once in the top 5 or maybe even 10 for any event, officially?

Tse-Kan Lin was once 2nd in 3BLD officially, with a solve of 46.22 seconds. His solve is also on video:

But the thing is, a lot of outstanding records go unnoticed even in very popular events... I'm sure a lot of people have never heard of Tse-Kan Lin until now.

Last edited by a moderator:

macky

Premium Member
WCA
2003MAKI01
Maybe we should add anyone who was once in the top 5 or maybe even 10 for any event, officially?
Maybe top 10 in each year for each event and format.

stats.cubing.net should provide links to wiki articles where available. That'll be a lot better use of resources than making lots of List of fastest... articles.

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
I think there are som more people who should show up under notable Fewest Moves solvers:

Jimmie and Istvan for the WR
Sebastien for having most sub 30's and being World champion
Tomoaki, Teemu and Daniel are also sub 30 beasts both in official as forum competitions

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Funny, right now Wikipedia is a better resource for this kind of thing that the cubing wiki.

Right now, Wikipedia only has entries for those few cubers who are actually really somewhat famous to the rest of the world. There aren't many.

It occurs to me that Macky (and Tyson, and a few of the others who have been around for a while) realize that what's special about cubing is not so much the achievement as it is the whole subculture - the community and the experience. It seems that for the last couple of years Macky has been attempting to try to capture that and immortalize it, and I really appreciate what he's doing.

I remember when I went to my first cubing competition: the 2007 US Open. I loved the whole experience (especially solving a cube BLD), but the thing that stood out most to me was seeing the intensity of the subculture. I thought I'd never be able to actually be part of it, but it was nice to at least get to see it.

Oops, I got sucked in. :)

Hippolyte!!!

WCA
2008MORE02
Sorry, I didn't have any time from past week-end until now...
I'm sure I have time that week-end, and will be glad to do that, but if we establish accurate limits for determine who could be part of the wiki (which is of course a better way (at least to judging the fast)), I don't know if it's still necessary.

izovire

WCA
2009VROO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I remember when I went to my first cubing competition: the 2007 US Open. I loved the whole experience (especially solving a cube BLD), but the thing that stood out most to me was seeing the intensity of the subculture. I thought I'd never be able to actually be part of it, but it was nice to at least get to see it.

Oops, I got sucked in. :)

Yeah this is what sucked me in too! I wasn't really interested in cubing a whole lot until I attended Hong Kong Open 2009. Even with only a few people speaking English there we all knew what a T-perm was! It's really the subculture that keeps it hot, it's what motivates me to do endless hours of mods and sticker placement for other cubers around the world.

anyway, I really enjoy what macky is putting together and I can't wait to see what happens here in the next 10 years.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's still missing your progression, starting from your days as the all-around puzzle man.

Ok, I wrote a little. Is it like you had in mind?

If that's the only thing that can be said about them, I'm not sure that needs a wiki page.

Last edited by a moderator:

blade740

Mack Daddy
WCA
2007NELS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Things I'm known for:

- Various National, North American, and a former World Record in Square-1, plus 2 National Championships
- Square-1 Methods, notably Parity CP, but a few other things as well.
- U2'
- #rubik

I feel uncomfortable writing my own article, but I admit, I did fix a few typos.