• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Wiki Discussion Thread

RedstoneTim

YouTube
Visit Channel
@RedstoneTim since you are one of two active admins, can you fix the issue where I can't edit the talk page for F2L? https://www.speedsolving.com/threads/wiki-discussion-thread.15298/page-12#post-1374865
As far as I know, it's sadly not possible to edit the page. The F2L talk page probably belongs to the pages which were subject to vandalism about two years ago. (Click here for more info.) As of now, we don't know of a way to fix this since not even pjk himself is able to edit those pages. If one of you is able to help, please contact pjk because I'm sure he'll be very glad when this finally gets fixed.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
@pjk I strongly think there should be a method of doing citations. There are a lot of cubing facts that deserve to be properly cited. I think MediaWiki has this by default?

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
@pjk I strongly think there should be a method of doing citations. There are a lot of cubing facts that deserve to be properly cited. I think MediaWiki has this by default?

I found out it can be done like *<span id="cite_note-1">(1) [http://www.mefferts.com/page.php?lang=en&amp;theme=about_uwe About Uwe Mèffert &amp; Meffert's Puzzles]</span> however a dedicated ref tag would be nice.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Thanks for the feedback, please report any other issues you may find and I'll work to resolve them.

As far as I know, it's sadly not possible to edit the page. The F2L talk page probably belongs to the pages which were subject to vandalism about two years ago. (Click here for more info.) As of now, we don't know of a way to fix this since not even pjk himself is able to edit those pages. If one of you is able to help, please contact pjk because I'm sure he'll be very glad when this finally gets fixed.
When I edit it I get:
Are there other pages also having this issue, or is this the only one?

Yes, you can add citations. Please feel free to propose it and begin making this changes. This is all a community project.

I found out it can be done like *<span id="cite_note-1">(1) [http://www.mefferts.com/page.php?lang=en&amp;theme=about_uwe About Uwe Mèffert &amp; Meffert's Puzzles]</span> however a dedicated ref tag would be nice.
Feel free to create the needed tag.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Are there other pages also having this issue, or is this the only one?

the only one I know of.

Feel free to create the needed tag.
I searched it up and the tag should come with mediawiki as part of the extension called cite. I haven't tried the tag yet. However what's weird is that the editor is a plaintext window while wikis usually have tools in an editor toolbar like for adding headers, table of contents, references, etc.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
the only one I know of.

I searched it up and the tag should come with mediawiki as part of the extension called cite. I haven't tried the tag yet. However what's weird is that the editor is a plaintext window while wikis usually have tools in an editor toolbar like for adding headers, table of contents, references, etc.
I can install the cite extension if you want to use it. No one has requested this before yet.

As for the plain text editor, I thought this was normal. Was it only a recent new version that has the upgraded editor?

Reactions: qwr

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I can install the cite extension if you want to use it. No one has requested this before yet.

As for the plain text editor, I thought this was normal. Was it only a recent new version that has the upgraded editor?

it's better than the standard way now of just pasting the link or using the span tag.

idk if the plaintext editor is normal or not. Having dedicated toolbar for formatting would make editing a nicer experience, especially for people without prior mediawiki experience.

ABCubeTutor

YouTube
Visit Channel
hi,

i know very little about wiki editing, i'm learning as i go...

i created the ABCube Method page, and i'm trying to get it to look uniform to the other pages.

i uploaded an image to go in the information box, (it is Formulas.png )

when i created it, the info said to use |200px|thumb|left|alt text to get a thumbnail

i tried to put the image in the box, but when i click page preview, whatever i do it just shows the full size image, taking up the whole page.

what am i doing wrong? what do i try next?

thanks

RedstoneTim

YouTube
Visit Channel
hi,

i know very little about wiki editing, i'm learning as i go...

i created the ABCube Method page, and i'm trying to get it to look uniform to the other pages.

i uploaded an image to go in the information box, (it is Formulas.png )

when i created it, the info said to use |200px|thumb|left|alt text to get a thumbnail

i tried to put the image in the box, but when i click page preview, whatever i do it just shows the full size image, taking up the whole page.

what am i doing wrong? what do i try next?

thanks
Could you send an image of how it looks for you and describe more exactly how you want it to look?
This is how it currently looks on my side, which is similar to how the images on the other method pages look:
Unbenannt.PNG

Edit: I've tried to improve the pages about you and your method by adding info boxes, links and more formatting. I hope that there aren't any issues with the edits, otherwise feel free to tell me.

Last edited:

ABCubeTutor

YouTube
Visit Channel
Could you send an image of how it looks for you and describe more exactly how you want it to look?
This is how it currently looks on my side, which is similar to how the images on the other method pages look:

Edit: I've tried to improve the pages about you and your method by adding info boxes, links and more formatting. I hope that there aren't any issues with the edits, otherwise feel free to tell me.

Redstone Tim, thank you so so much. a friend helped me resize and reupload to get the picture correct yesterday afternoon. the problem i was running into was the image being huge and causing the info box to be the size of the entire page. so, that's fixes.

how awesome of you to clean up the formatting, and making the pages sparkle.

however, i made a bit of a mess in getting the correct image to load, in that i uploaded two other images that don't work, and not knowing how to delete them,

think you can delete for me or teach me how to delete the two irrelevant images? they are called Formula and Formulas2

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Is it useful that we could list for every nxn cube, every release from a major company ever produced? I thought about doing it for 2x2 as a reference.