• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Why wont Kilominx w/others become an event?

I just really need an awnser on why kilominx and/or cuboids become an event
i mean i get not adding some puzzles like fisher cube and mirror cube because they are just
shape mods on a 3x3 but still kilominx and cuboids become an event (cuboids as in 3x3x5, 3x3x2, 2x2x3, 2x2x4 not all of these at once at least one of them) but im not saying ADD Them witch i do want them to I'm just wondering why they wont add them!!!

turtwig

They don't usually add events without a good reason. As far as I'm aware Skewb was the only event added in the past few years (I've heard that it was quite popular, and that people were holding it unofficially at comps for a period of time beforehand, from the looks of it, it seems that Kilominx might be headed towards the same fate).

WCA
2014LALI01
Also we should keep in mind that the WCA already has a lot of events and the World Championships this year was 4 days long. I've heard many people say that adding another event will start making these big competitions very chaotic.

WACWCA

WCA
2012CALL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't think people have gotten behind a singular event, from cuboids to redi cube to kilo, popularity changes all the time. If there is a popular puzzle that has some major traction after its release hype has died down, and stays relevant for a while they might CONSIDER adding the event. The wca is also not going to add 5 events all of sudden, they've made it clear that they would rather have a fewer events and hold everything at worlds and nationals, and those events can stay more focused on.

Ronxu

WCA
2010RONK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why shouldn't they? Cycling through the same 18 events year after year gets boring. It gives more opportunities for people to find an event they love, keeps competitions fresh and exciting, and adds more variety to the WCA.
I've been doing this **** for almost 8 years and haven't gotten bored yet.

M

Malkom

Why shouldn't they? Cycling through the same 18 events year after year gets boring. It gives more opportunities for people to find an event they love, keeps competitions fresh and exciting, and adds more variety to the WCA.
It's boring to just be decent at every event, the fun is trying to get really fast at one/a few events. I could see a few reasons to add kibiminx since it's fairly different from every other event but in general I don't see why more events should be added.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've been doing this **** for almost 8 years and haven't gotten bored yet.

Pretty good point, lol. I guess anyone who gets into cubing in the first place doesn't get bored by doing the same thing over and over again, myself included. I still think variety makes it more interesting. Although doing 18 different events does have very long-lasting appeal, having something new is always exciting.

It's boring to just be decent at every event, the fun is trying to get really fast at one/a few events. I could see a few reasons to add kibiminx since it's fairly different from every other event but in general I don't see why more events should be added.

Yeah, that makes sense. In general though, I think one of the upsides to adding new events is officially recognizing the people who have already put time and effort into practicing them.

WCA
2017WARR04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Speedcubing is still in its early days. I love that nationals and worlds are open for anyone to register. Compare cubing to tennis. There probably not going to take out wheelchair or add any other type of match. That's what I love about cubing it's open anyone. And although 2014 was when skewb was added and it may seem like a long time ago. But, compared to other sports it's quite a short amount of time. 18 events is a lot already. And if they removed events people would get upset. Even if they removed clock Daniel.:) (Although I do question why it is a wca event. )

Hazel

Premium Member
I think the WCA should add a lot more events, it always makes things new and exciting. I'd personally love it if they added Kilo/Kibiminx, 3x3x5, and Redi cube. 2x2 MBLD could be interesting; the one-lookers would have a fun time memorizing 50+ cubes.

M

Malkom

I think the WCA should add a lot more events, it always makes things new and exciting. I'd personally love it if they added Kilo/Kibiminx, 3x3x5, and Redi cube. 2x2 MBLD could be interesting; the one-lookers would have a fun time memorizing 50+ cubes.
But why must everything be official? You can try out new cubes without having to compete in them.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
2x2 MBLD could be interesting; the one-lookers would have a fun time memorizing 50+ cubes.
I had never thought about it until now - I wonder if that is possible? I wonder if it would be possible to devise a memorization scheme to quickly memorize one-looked 2x2x2s? If you could come up with a way to efficiently do it, you could blow away people doing them with a normal blindsolving approach.

If we made it a 5 minute-max event, it might not be all that bad; I'm guessing the best someone could do is 10 seconds per cube or so, so the number of cubes could be kept a bit under control. The only bad thing about that is that 5 minutes is very arbitrary, and 10 minutes would be too long because we'd likely have too many people bringing 50+ cubes. Especially if people DID figure out how to memorize a bunch of one-looked solutions fast.

Someone should work on this (a scheme for memorizing 2x2x2s by the one-looked solution, instead of the normal piecewise memorization). It could make for a very impressive video.