• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Why did YOU start cubing?

WCA
2011THOM01
Basically someone in my 9th grade class could solve it, and everybody was always so impressed..even though it took him at least 2 minutes to solve it every time and he was using Joel van Noort's intermediate method lulz
But of course at the time I didn't know how bad he was either, so I learned to solve it so i could be like him. Then I started learning and realized how bad he actually was, and one week later I asked him to hand me his cube and i solved it faster than him :p
After that I became really interested, and it gave me something to do during incredibly unnecessary study halls (what little homework we got I could always get done during class without the teachers noticing) and now I'm here

btw, I have never watched a tutorial video ^_^

WCA
2007CHOI01
YouTube
ExoCorsair
I saw a bunch of people doing it at CTY, bought one myself after my session was over. It was a 25th Anniversary edition cube (still my main speedcube), and came with a nice little instruction booklet.

Though, I probably wouldn't have cubed as long as I did, nor have started speedsolving if it weren't for my high school friends (in particular, a certain big cubes NR/WR holder).

WCA
2011GREE03
I solved a really old Rubik's twice about 13 years ago by solving the white face then swapping to opposite blue* face and repeated until some of the other faces became close to solved, then solved them until I started to see patterns emerging. The 1st solve took about 2 hours and the 2nd about an hour.

I always wanted to know how to solve it quickly but unfortunately the internet wasn't quite what it is today. So I put it on my mental to do list and got round to it Sep last year.

I kept it up because I enjoyed exercising my brain and learning.
I now know full OLL and PLL, averaging about 24 seconds.
I also own around 30 different kinds of twisty puzzle and can solve them all.

*Does anyone know anything about a Rubik brand cube with white opposite blue and green opposite yellow?

WCA
2015JEHL01
YouTube
televisionczar
I got a rubik's cube for my birthday a year ago, and my friend scrambled it and did it in 3 minutes so I was like WHAT? it takes me half an hour to do that! so I learned how to do it (because I'm very competetive) and within a month I was already faster than him. now I'm sub 25 avg.

My daughter (yes, I'm old) was in a talent show at school and this 6 year old kid got up on the stage and said, "I'll solve this rubik's cube in 2 minutes". He had some kid come up and scramble it and he solved it. I thought that if he could do it, so could I. That's right! I'm better than a 6 year old!!! Ugh......... but cubing is fun!

WCA
2005GUST02
My sister bought a cube on a fair in Stockholm 1980. I tried solve on my own but nether did. In 1981 me a and my brother bought cubes and figured out how to solve them. I hade pause for 20 years+ between ~1983-84 and 2005. Im' now on relapse :)

For my son.
I want to that he would gain (interest) some hobbies like yoyoing, speedcubing and similiar activities.
So I have to learn cube solving.:p
Than I like the speedcubing. ;)

WCA
2010FISK01
My sister bought a cube on a fair in Stockholm 1980. I tried solve on my own but nether did. In 1981 me a and my brother bought cubes and figured out how to solve them. I hade pause for 20 years+ between ~1983-84 and 2005. Im' now on relapse :)
Do you still have your original cubes? that's so cool! ^_^

Justin Bieber.

Hah. No.
I got bored and decided to get around to solving a cube that was lying around. It was a lifelong goal. Took me 2 days to solve it O___O

Now I'm hooked.

YouTube
IPwnAllAndLeaveNone
The Persuit of Happyness movie when Will Smith solved it made me wanna solve it also. Then I saw Erik's former WR solve, and my mind got blown. Then I went to pogobat (sadly) to learn the LL (I could solve the first 2 layers by myself without a tut). Then I looked for Fridrich. I saw badmephisto's name. 'Nuff said.