• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Why are there still "best cubes"

DELToS

I've noticed that in for example 3x3, there are no best cubes, it's 100% Personal preference and no cube is better than any other cube.

But on say 2x2, the DaYan is the best. On 4x4, the AoSu or the Mini AoSu are the best. 5x5, YuXin. 6x6, AoShi. 7x7, Cubic AoFu GT, square-1, QiYi, best megaminx is the DaYan, the best pyraminx is the MoYu. As for skewb, I think that the QiYi is the best but many people still use the MoYu.

Why don't companies start producing more of these other puzzles so that it's all personal preference for them, too?

JethroNull

WCA
2015LAWS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think 3x3, being the staple puzzle of the entire market, has a lot more effort thrown at it than Square 1 or Pyra. I also think its the one puzzle that unites all of us as cubers, as it is where (most of us) started. In future, nxnxn cubes may be advanced enough that its personal preference up to maybe 7x7, but it'll be a lot longer until all WCA events are 100% preference. And by that time there will probably be more events, like cuboids or 4x4OH or something.

That said, I would love a Moyu Square-1.

Seanliu

YouTube
Visit Channel
Like Jethro said, the main thing about 3x3 is that it's the main event; more effort is put on it than any other puzzle, perhaps all of them combined, though I think that money could bet the case; why not make lots of 3x3s, so that newbies will buy all of them, and that they will spend a lot of money? Newbies generally don't start out doing 7x7.

Kudz

Well everybody should now that there is only one good 3x3 on market-356.
jk- type C is better, just break it in.
I heard that bochunag>yuxin

WCA
2014BLOC01
The best 4x4 isn't definitely the Aosu, that's mostly personal preference, what with the new ones that just came out.

I heard that bochunag>yuxin

I haven't liked the ones I've tried as much as the Yuxin, and I've heard a few other people who agree, though my issue was largely that I like the Yuxin feel better.

Kudz

No, the best cube on the market is Either a Cubicle Thunderclap Or a Gans 356s V2

Well if you say that best cube is cubicle one it means that you have got no experience in setting up cubes. There is no the best 3x3. There is only best feeling.. for you. Hehe small joke. Also my 356 is much better than 356 v2.

I am not a megaminxer, but I heard that modded ss is much better than dayan. Best megaminxers use it.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'd argue that the only events with definite bests are 2x2 (DaYan), 7x7 (AoFu GT), Square-1 (QiYi), and Clock (Rubik's). One could even argue 2x2 off of that list because a lot of people (especially newer cubers) who have a DaYan use a MoYu 2x2 because it's better for them. Although the market could definitely be more saturated with non-3x3 cubes. I'm all for that.

Forcefulness

YouTube
Visit Channel
Well if you say that best cube is cubicle one it means that you have got no experience in setting up cubes. There is no the best 3x3. There is only best feeling.. for you. Hehe small joke. Also my 356 is much better than 356 v2.

I am not a megaminxer, but I heard that modded ss is much better than dayan. Best megaminxers use it.

Except Feliks, he uses a Dayan