• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Where do you think US Nationals 2010 should be held?

Where should the US nationals be held next? In your opinion

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well I actually provided several examples the reason actually my cousin said "it's our turn" was because I suppose it would be a good thing to say.

Below I list the most relevant reasons you listed as to why the competition should be held on the east coast.

Manhattan is also very urban, with many methods of transportation to help facilitate travel to the venue, including amtrak, MTA (Long island bus, Long island railroad, New York City subways), path trains, and New Jersey transit, especially for Bob. :)

Here I agree with you that there are many urban centers in the Northeast, with ease of travel. You post hints at the fact that if the competition is held in this region that Bob will be doing all the work. Are you to help with this workload? Did you mention if you will be able to help with this workload? How do you think Bob will feel about being handed this responsibility without asking for it?

Plus, I believe that having US Nationals on the (north)east coast would make it much easier for European and Canadian cubers to attend (less expensive flight rates, and shorter traveling distances).

I kind of agree with this, but how does this fact help make sure that the Nationals, in being held on the east coast, are organized 1) More easily or more efficiently, 2) in a good venue, 3) with a good organizational staff?

Are we to give the European cubers who come lots of responsibility for organizing the competition? I don't see how this facts improves the quality or capability of the east coast organizing the competition unless we dump the work on all the Europeans who show up.

-----------

I'm not trying to completely shoot down your idea, but from what I can tell there is no constructive information in your post as to how hosting the US Nationals on the east coast will improve the quality of organization, the capability to organize, finding a good venue, etc. to any of the necessities for running such a large competition.

This line that I wrote in my first post is still relevant:
Rather than saying "please hold it on the east coast" why not say "Here is what I can contribute to it being held on the east coast?" That would go over much better with the WCA board in my opinion.

I don't feel you have shown how holding the competition on the east coast contributes to the quality of US Nationals 2010. More specificaly I don't feel the reasons you listed are convincing enough to the WCA board that US Nationals 2010 should be held on the east coast.

Now, having said that how can we improve those suggestions to convince the WCA board that holding the competition on the east coast would be a good idea? Let's think much more constructively.

Chris

Paul Wagner

WCA
2008WAGN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay Chris, you bring up some great points. But my opinion still stands on the Northeast and no I don't think we should put pressure on European cubers. But the reason why I said Bob was because he is awesome :).

But Chris the main reason I think we should have it on the East Coast in one of those cities is because it's very good for all of the attractions and seem like interesting places to have it.

I don't think having it on the East coast will make the competition run more smoothly just a little bit of a mix-up and easy to access.

And don't get me wrong I know people are willing to fly across the Country to get there. I find it hard to explain but I think there are a lot of cubers in the North East and it's a very good and convenient place to have it.

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree with Chris. There is no point in having it in any city if the cubers living there cannot find a relatively cheap, large, and well-lit venue. If you think it should be held near you, suggesting a good venue would go a long way towards making that a possibility. As we've seen with this year's Nationals, many cubers are completely willing to fly all the way across the country, so I don't think location is much of an issue.

Agreed, you guys can throw out as many locations as you want, but you need people who are willing and capable of organizing such a large competition. Aside from Calteam, Bob Burton and Bryan Logan are really the only other big names in organization that come to mind. Of course Calteam would help with running the competition, but having an experienced local helps a lot with the organization.

You guys also need to remember that nothing any of you says will have any impact on the final decision, which ultimately belongs to Tyson.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I really feel like something sarcastic. :rolleyes:
But I'll restrain. After having Nats at my university, there's really not much reason to complain.

My top choice for Nationals next year would also be New York. It's a cool, Metropolitan area, with a reasonable cuber population. And since everyone likes to throw in a personal reason, I haven't been to New York in over 10 years.
The main issue with New York itself, apparently, is the high cost. Not just holding the competition and organization, but also the cost for the competitors.
Northeast is probably not out of the question, though.

Anyhow, even though I'll concede that your post is neatly written, I suggest trying even harder not to sound like someone whining for the competition in his backyard. In particular, demonstrate the support available to the organizers, and do your research –for example, Bob is in NJ, but who lives in New York? TYSON MAO. The single guy most with the most experience, with the most authority for deciding where Nationals is held.

(Don't make it sound like an "opinion" or "suggestion." It's a wish/request, but that doesn't mean it can't come true.)

Last edited:

Kian

WCA
2007BARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Here is my take, for what it's worth.

I don't agree that it SHOULD be anywhere in particular. It should be in a place that is reasonably priced and has some cubers nearby that can help organize. This obviously limits the areas of the country it could be in to some extent, but it's not terrible prohibitive.

That being said, I do think it would be nice to have a decent rotation around areas where there are a lot of cubers. Though a number of cubers are willing to travel, some are not or cannot because of their age or their financial situation. With this in mind, the Northeast makes sense, because there are a great deal of cubers in the area and nationals have never been held anywhere near the northeast.

Organization is obviously a big concern when considering where to have nationals. I wouldn't dream of suggesting we put it anywhere or saying it should be anywhere, because that's silly, but I think that having Nationals in the Northeast would be reasonable.

As for placing too much on Bob, I don't think that would happen. I have spoken to Bob about whether Nationals might be held in the Northeast and he told me that he "expects them to be." Bob will not be asked to do it all on his own, either. There are many, many cubers in the area and many of us are competent and willing to help. I, for one, would be happy to do whatever I could. And there are quite a few others who Bob knows well that could help.

But, again, I don't think they SHOULD be anywhere specifically. They should be in a place that makes financial and logistical sense. I'll be at Nats 2010 no matter what and it doesn't really concern me where it is, but I think having it in one of the biggest "hotbeds" for cubing in the US would be great for American cubing.

Other than that, I hope everyone has a great time at Nats this weekend! Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:

mark3

It needs to be in the Midwest. Like it or not, Atlanta was the east coast stop.

lol. You act like you are the main deciding vote in this. Like it or not, you aren't.

Anyway, I don't mind where it is held. Of course me being on the East, I would like it to be there, but where ever the cheapest/best venue with the most cubers should be chosen.

Trust me, I know I'm not the deciding vote. when your an average cuber and have spent only a couple months on this forum, no one cares even a little bit what you think. It had been mentioned before that Nationals seemed to be going in a rotation and everyone thought that 09 would be on the west coast before it was even announced.

Also, there is no way it will be held anywhere within an eight mile drive or a 200+ plane ticket of me, so I don't much care.

And I think 2010 should be held in the US Virgin Islands. It's scenic and there are probably a few here who could use the sun exposure. ;)

jcuber

WCA
2009LEVI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What about that REALLY big state in the south?

Alaska? Too many polar bears.

EDIT: On topic, I agree that Nats should be held in the Northeast, and I am one of those examples of why. Being a minor, my parents wouldn't let me go cross country alone, and didn't want to come with me for nats. I can't go this year. I don't mean to sound like a sob story, just my 2 cents. I am almost certain that by the time of nats, if it were held in the NE area, I would most certainly be able to go. IMO, NYC is out of the question due to reasons mentioned earlier (mainly cost). Perhaps somewhere in NJ or Boston?

Last edited:

blade740

Mack Daddy
WCA
2007NELS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'd like to note that the organization/judging team is mostly west-coast based. It is much cheaper to host a competition there. It was fairly costly for us to fly to Atlanta. An experienced team is important for a competition as large as nationals to run smoothly, and this will only be more true in the future. Atlanta was a less than favorable venue, and without the team we had, it would've been much worse than it was. This has to be considered in the cost.

That said, I think New York or DC would be great locations. I'd like to visit both. Tyson and Bob are nearby, and very capable. There are other east coast cubers who I'm sure are willing to help out.

Anthony

Professional Speedcuber
WCA
2008SEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

He said really big state in the south, not the biggest state in the united states. He's obviously referring to Texas and even though you're trying to be funny, it was just stupid.

Sorry, I had to stick up for Texas. :p

Anyway, Texas isn't likely to hold US Nationals anytime soon. Maybe one day.. But until then, I'm willingly to travel. :)

Anthony

Professional Speedcuber
WCA
2008SEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'd be willing to travel to Texas if we held nationals sometime other than the middle of summer. Atlanta was bad enough.

North Texas in mid August is usually quite nice. The Dallas/Fort Worth area is a good example.

But if you go further south during June-July.. It'z hotttttttttt. If you're not a Texan. :p

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
On topic, I agree that Nats should be held in the Northeast, and I am one of those examples of why. Being a minor, my parents wouldn't let me go cross country alone, and didn't want to come with me for nats. I can't go this year. I don't mean to sound like a sob story, just my 2 cents. I am almost certain that by the time of nats, if it were held in the NE area, I would most certainly be able to go. IMO, NYC is out of the question due to reasons mentioned earlier (mainly cost). Perhaps somewhere in NJ or Boston?

Sigh. Another "come hold a competition in my backyard!" whiner.

How is that supposed to be a good argument for choosing the location for a tournament? If we hold Nationals in the Northeast next year, there will be plenty of California cubers who will be making the exact same argument as you.

Paul Wagner

WCA
2008WAGN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
On topic, I agree that Nats should be held in the Northeast, and I am one of those examples of why. Being a minor, my parents wouldn't let me go cross country alone, and didn't want to come with me for nats. I can't go this year. I don't mean to sound like a sob story, just my 2 cents. I am almost certain that by the time of nats, if it were held in the NE area, I would most certainly be able to go. IMO, NYC is out of the question due to reasons mentioned earlier (mainly cost). Perhaps somewhere in NJ or Boston?

Sigh. Another "come hold a competition in my backyard!" whiner.

How is that supposed to be a good argument for choosing the location for a tournament? If we hold Nationals in the Northeast next year, there will be plenty of California cubers who will be making the exact same argument as you.
Two of the US Nat's were held in California.
I feel popular.

You should because you're the best.

I'd like to note that the organization/judging team is mostly west-coast based. It is much cheaper to host a competition there. It was fairly costly for us to fly to Atlanta. An experienced team is important for a competition as large as nationals to run smoothly, and this will only be more true in the future. Atlanta was a less than favorable venue, and without the team we had, it would've been much worse than it was. This has to be considered in the cost.

That said, I think New York or DC would be great locations. I'd like to visit both. Tyson and Bob are nearby, and very capable. There are other east coast cubers who I'm sure are willing to help out.

I don't think that NYC is to out of the question because people think it's too expensive to host it there. But I disagree because I live right near there. It would be just as easy as anywhere else, just because it's the most popular city in the US doesn't mean it's impossible to do anything there (btw Gavin I'm talking to everyone not you) and it's a huge attraction and several reasons it should be held there.

Last edited:

IamWEB

WCA
2009BOAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
TEXAS... :

Well the ice on the roads is bad in the winter...

Thanksgiving break school-wise for 2010? lol

He said really big state in the south, not the biggest state in the united states. He's obviously referring to Texas and even though you're trying to be funny, it was just stupid.

Sorry, I had to stick up for Texas. :p

Anyway, Texas isn't likely to hold US Nationals anytime soon. Maybe one day.. But until then, I'm willingly to travel. :)

I intentionally edited my sig for it to be read after reading my post... it didn't work. XD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.