• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Where do you think US Nationals 2010 should be held?

Where should the US nationals be held next? In your opinion

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Wagner

WCA
2008WAGN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey I wanted to make this thread early. I think that the US Nationals 2010 should be held on the east coast, possibly Manhattan, NY, or other major cities such as D.C., Boston, Massachusetts, or Providence, Rhode Island. This is because a lot of very fast cubers/very important and essential cubers are from the Northeast region, and would be able to attend the competition with less difficulty. Manhattan is also very urban, with many methods of transportation to help facilitate travel to the venue, including amtrak, MTA (Long island bus, Long island railroad, New York City subways), path trains, and New Jersey transit, especially for Bob. :)

Twice, the US Nationals has been held in California. Other times, it has been held in other major cities like Chicago, and Atlanta. We should rotate the cities that this important competition is held in. Next year, it is the east coast's 'turn' to have the national championships. There are many cities to choose from, and I believe this is a valid point that should be taken into consideration.

Plus, I believe that having US Nationals on the (north)east coast would make it much easier for European and Canadian cubers to attend (less expensive flight rates, and shorter traveling distances).

Lastly, many of these cities have many tourist attractions, especially New York and D.C. A lot of people don't want to travel across the country or the world, and have little or nothing to do.

-Bobby d'Angelo & Paul Wagner

ajmorgan25

WCA
2008MORG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The Midwest isn't bad, but I agree with Paul when he said he wants more diversity considering it has already been there (Chicago) once before.

I'm in favor of D.C. honestly. I enjoy the area very much and used to live in Maryland as a kid so it would be nice to go back again. I went there shortly in my senior year of highschool but I'd definitely like to go anyway.

Plus, I still need to pay a visit to Adams Morgan. You know, considering my name is Adam Morgan and all.

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
The Midwest isn't bad, but I agree with Paul when he said he wants more diversity considering it has already been there (Chicago) once before.

I'm in favor of D.C. honestly. I enjoy the area very much and used to live in Maryland as a kid so it would be nice to go back again. I went there shortly in my senior year of highschool but I'd definitely like to go anyway.

Plus, I still need to pay a visit to Adams Morgan. You know, considering my name is Adam Morgan and all.

Yess, please be in D.C.

That would be very nice, my father works there, and by then, I'll have finished ZB.

ajmorgan25

WCA
2008MORG01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Yess, please be in D.C.

That would be very nice, my father works there, and by then, I'll have finished ZB.

So we have 2, 3 if including the OP, for D.C. I'm kind of biased though, considering how much I love the area. I could walk around the National Mall every time I go up there and not get bored.

mark3

It needs to be in the Midwest. Like it or not, Atlanta was the east coast stop. It also appeals to more people because it is not a cross country travel for anyone.

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I shouldnt be so cold.

But if you were to quantify midwest cubers times, and northeastern cubers times, as well as west coast cubers...

You would see that northeastern cubers outnumber and outclass midwesterners.

Last edited:
E

Ethan Rosen

Naturally my vote is in the East Coast, preferably between Boston and DC. It isn't like my vote here matters, and yea, most people are obviously just going to vote for where they live.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't think it should be held on the east coast, or the midwest, or even the west coast for that matter. In my opinion, US nationals should be held in the location that provides the best possible venue and organization capabilities at the time. I'm not saying that the east coast does not have this, but rather that holding it on the east coast because it's "our turn" is not a good reason to hold it here.

Rather than saying "please hold it on the east coast" why not say "Here is what I can contribute to it being held on the east coast?" That would go over much better with the WCA board in my opinion.

Chris

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree with Chris. There is no point in having it in any city if the cubers living there cannot find a relatively cheap, large, and well-lit venue. If you think it should be held near you, suggesting a good venue would go a long way towards making that a possibility. As we've seen with this year's Nationals, many cubers are completely willing to fly all the way across the country, so I don't think location is much of an issue.

PatrickJameson

Premium Member
WCA
2007JAME01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It needs to be in the Midwest. Like it or not, Atlanta was the east coast stop.

lol. You act like you are the main deciding vote in this. Like it or not, you aren't.

Anyway, I don't mind where it is held. Of course me being on the East, I would like it to be there, but where ever the cheapest/best venue with the most cubers should be chosen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.