• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What's the difference between LBL and Ortega?

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would consider both Ortega and CLL to be improvements of LBL. Ortega saves moves by letting you build a face instead of a layer, and by permuting both layers at once instead of just one (it's a few more algs, but on average the algs are shorter). CLL saves moves by doing the orientation and permutation of the last layer at the same time.

...and then EG is an improvement over both Ortega and CLL :p

Aerith

I know but they use the same algs and what's the point of making the first layer for lbl and Ortega you do the same algs for lbl???

PurpleBanana

I know but they use the same algs and what's the point of making the first layer for lbl and Ortega you do the same algs for lbl???

LBL doesn't use PBL algs because the first face is always permuted. Ortega is basically not having to permute the first face in exchange for learning a couple more algorithms. It's a pretty good deal.

LBL doesn't use PBL algs because the first face is always permuted. Ortega is basically not having to permute the first face in exchange for learning a couple more algorithms. It's a pretty good deal.
I agree. One day I learned PBL just for fun and I was surprised that OLL together with it is full Ortega already.

Dancing Jules

If you see an easy layer, go for LBL.
If it will take a lot of moves, go for Ortega.
That's why learning both is better.

Actually, if a permuted and a non-permuted 1st layer are equally easy, the non-permuted is better for Ortega, because PBL algs (that aren't PLL-algs) are a lot nicer than PLL algs.

Solvador Cubi

Yes, when I saw that 2 of the shortest PBL algs are for cases with the D layer needing diagonal corners permuted, I try for those, figuring that making 2 extra turns at the beginning can prevent needing the longest algs at the end of the solve.

Last edited:

Reed Merrill

I think it's probably a little bit easier to be colour neutral with Ortega because for your face you don't have to recognize where corners actually have to go. As far as PBL and CN goes I'm not sure though.