• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What's my method?

AngelFire479

YouTube
Visit Channel
So I will do my best to describe my method I currently use when Solving the 3x3 cube. (Bear with me)
My Method consists of putting the White cross pieces in place first. Second: I place the center layer pieces into their correct places using a simple way, I line up the piece with it's correct color matching the same side, flip the piece to the side with the other color of that piece, spin the face matching the original matchup of that color down, slide the piece into the face that I moved, and slide the face back up, thus putting the piece into place. (ask me to explain certain pieces you don't understand) I then put all of the middle layer pieces into place but one. Third: using the gap between the middle and top layers, I spin only the top while placing corners into the correct oriented positions on the top face, only spinning the top and moving the edges into place using normal beginner's method but through the "Gate" I've created in the middle layer. WHAT METHOD DO I USE? IS THERE A NAME FOR IT? THANK YOU! (ask for more explanation in the comments.)

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
From what I've understood, you do cross, F2L edges with sledgehammer, and then Keyhole corners. The name "Keyhole" is usually used for doing this for edges (it's how I first solved F2L when I started cubing), but I think it can be used for corners as well.

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
Learn f2l. The sooner the better. It's the most practice intensive step of CFOP, so the earlier you switch, the sooner you'll see the benefits!

Hypocrism

WCA
2009ADLA01
"I'm trying to improve on that" (my method)
In order:

1) Do cross on bottom
2) Do your keyhole with 3 corners, not 3 edges, in my opinion this is better
3) Learn real F2L
4) Consider blockbuilding methods if you want

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Keyhole with corners was removed without a reason, and the methods discussed on that thread are either CFOP or blockbuilding methods.
Keyhole with corners was removed because there's not point in just changing keyhole method when intuitive F2L is better. Also, in my opinion (disagree with me if you want), corners first keyhole is only really fast enough if you can blockbuild the first layer. I linked to that page because when someone says "blockbuilding", I don't really think of ZZ, which can be a good method. That also provides more information on the main 3 (or 4, if you really want to include Petrus) methods, which is useful for someone choosing a method.

Hypocrism

WCA
2009ADLA01
Keyhole with corners was removed because there's not point in just changing keyhole method when intuitive F2L is better. Also, in my opinion (disagree with me if you want), corners first keyhole is only really fast enough if you can blockbuild the first layer. I linked to that page because when someone says "blockbuilding", I don't really think of ZZ, which can be a good method. That also provides more information on the main 3 (or 4, if you really want to include Petrus) methods, which is useful for someone choosing a method.

ZZ is a blockbuilding method; you build both of the blocks on the left and right.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
ZZ is a blockbuilding method; you build both of the blocks on the left and right.
I know. However, it isn't really the same kind of blockbuilding as you have restrictions - the solved pieces are kind of in the way (with Roux/Petrus the pieces are to one side). All I was saying was that some people don't think of ZZ when someone says 'blockbuilding'; that was put there as a reminder that it is an option.

cannon4747

WCA
2011vili01
YouTube
Visit Channel

No you're thinking of roux. ZZ is a method where you orient all the edges before doing the cross. It allows you to do f2l using only L, U, and R sides and gives you a pre-completed top side cross. I used to like it because it also got rid of y-axis cube rotations (which are the slowest by far) during intuitive steps, and because it lets me get away with not knowing full OLL.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
No you're thinking of roux. ZZ is a method where you orient all the edges before doing the cross. It allows you to do f2l using only L, U, and R sides and gives you a pre-completed top side cross. I used to like it because it also got rid of y-axis cube rotations (which are the slowest by far) during intuitive steps, and because it lets me get away with not knowing full OLL.
No, ZZ is a blockbuilding method. As I explained above, it's just a different type of blockbuilding. I don't really think of it as blockbuilding, but it is.