• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What was the hardest barrier for you?

cubekid57

For me, it would be sub 20(still not yet) and sub 30 avgs. Sub 30 took forever!

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
definitely sub-25 for me. It took like 5 months for me go from about 30 to sub-25. Sub-20 soon followed that. (Hopefully sub-15 soon too. :))

Ton

WCA
2003DENN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well I come from 40 sec in 1982 and started speedcubing in 2003 back then I was 28 sec average , no I am 18 sec average. One think I have learned, to get faster is to train on the look ahead. You can practise this with -slow- smooth cubing . This means try to keep turning and looking at the same time. btw there are no barriers only the one you set yourself ....
Ton

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
sub-30 took me the longest and was the hardest for me. I was still using fridrich when i realized that the f2l took me the longest. So i switchd over to block methods starting with petrus and then roux. sub-20 was easy after like 3 months of block methods. but i was stuck at 30-35 for +/- 5 months.

hawkmp4

Sub-40 was/is the hardest for me. I averaged 38.06 a couple weeks ago but i'm still struggling to get another sub-40 average of 12.

DAE_JA_VOO

I'm working really hard at the moment to get sub-30. I got to about 34 avg really quickly, and since i hit 34, it's been a huge wall that i can't climb. I usually get 34 avg, but i get 32s and 31s as well. I can't seem to break 30 though...

PCwizCube

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I average like 23 seconds now, and I feel that getting below 30 seconds was hard. It took me like three weeks to do it before I realized that I had to look ahead in my F2L. I know that isn't a long time, but I was getting faster like 5 seconds every week, so all of a sudden, I had a sudden stop. Now I'm slowly, but steadily getting faster :)

MTGjumper

WCA
2008CRAW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sub 1 minute was terribly hard for me at first. I had a cube that -needed- you to use your whole hand to turn a face, so fingertricks were out of the question. I'd been practicing so much, however, that when I received my first decent cube, I solved it in 40 seconds.

It seemed to take a while to get from sub-25 to sub-20. Now that I've reached sub-20, I've seemed to improve a lot more, averaging sub-18 a few times. Must be the extra practice due to lots of spare time.

DAE_JA_VOO

Yeah, it's strange how you just speed up so fast until you hit a wall. I went from 5 minutes to 50 seconds in a matter of 2 or 3 weeks. Then i slowed down completely as i started with intuitive F2L and started learning all the PLLs. After i learned F2L and the PLLs, my times dropped fast again, all the way up to about 34 avg, 23 pb, and that's where i'm stuck now. I've been here for about 2 or 3 weeks now. This is really tough...

Todd

Sub 20 for a single solve was a pain for me.

My best solve was 20.05 for a really long time, hence the pain, still only average low 20's but now get sub 20 times more frequently, still learning OLL though.

Kevin.

WCA
2008CAPU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
getting past 1 minute for sure, learning f2l was a leap for me and i finally feel comfortable with it. Still needs some practice but have a good teacher to well... teach me. Im like obi won! hah.

Zigosity

I'm stuck on the sub-30 barrier right now, too... I've got a couple really nice sub-30 avgs of 5, but nothing in the 12+solve range. Past like 10 solves my average tends to hover around 33.xx

I don't know all my PLLs, though, I'm still using 4LLL. 7/21 : [. I'm sure if I learned them all and got decent at recognition I'd be sub 30. Or if I improved my look-ahead a bit, which is what I'm currently working on.

-Zigo

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sub-18 was my hardest barrier, both mentally in terms of convincing myself that I could break it, and time and effort spent trying to break it. It took me 4 years 10 months to get my first sub-20 average, and from there it took me a year and 2 months to get my first ever sub-18. After I got my first sub-20 I really starting increasing my practice routine to a couple hours a day, and I was practicing on a near daily basis for the first time. In retrospect I think it took so long because I often practiced only with my then current methods without learning new algs or trying to fix up my cubes better.

I'm also currently working on consistent sub-15, though I've already done sub-14 once for an average of 12.

Chris