• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What is something you wish you knew before you started cubing?

cuberswoop

WCA
2022FROU01
I'm just kind of curious... I've been cubing for a while and there's been a lot that I wish I knew before I really got into it (eg be colour neutral, some events get the best cube but others you can go for budget)
Definitely, everything you listed. I also look back thinking about not doing so many rotations, I had over at least 25 every solve. Maybe finger tricks as well. Another thing was looking at other methods. I just jumped into CFOP without knowing what I was doing which kind of sucked. I think I would have definitely chosen Roux if I knew about it before I was Sub-30.

IsThatA4x4

WCA
2022RITC01
Rubik's brand cubes are not the only cubes out there (seriously my first speedcube was a rubik's speed cube). Also wish I knew about how to look after cubes properly. And home grip... I was using a regrip at the beginning of all algs that started with R / L

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I wish I knew how much fun it is to figure out twisty puzzles without a tutorial! I basically had no intuition for how twisty puzzles worked when I was first learning, so I don't think I could've solved my first 3x3 independently regardless of how much time I had, but I do wish I'd given myself more of a chance to figure out common puzzles like Skewb, Square-1, and 4x4 instead of just running to a tutorial right away.

FenTheGoat

YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't make up your own algs and always be learning new ones.

This is kind of specific, but I hate learning algs and I love tinkering. I've made up my own, inefficient algs, which paired with me not liking to learn new algs, gets me stuck using these bad algs. Then they get stuck in my muscle memory and it's even harder to learn a new alg. This is made worse by me not learning new algs often which makes it harder and more frustrating to learn new algs. But to be fair, I have a decent idea of what moves do what now, so it's not so bad.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Rubik's brand cubes are not the only cubes out there (seriously my first speedcube was a rubik's speed cube). Also wish I knew about how to look after cubes properly. And home grip... I was using a regrip at the beginning of all algs that started with R / L
Same thing for me. I was on a Rubik's brand for 5 years before I purchased my first illegal stickerless Dayan Zhanchi cube. I did not develop any good fingertrick when I was on a Rubik's brand from 2008-2013.

I regret this as Feliks also started out in 2008 but he had the alpha cubes so he was able to develop fingertricks.

Zaffran

I'm just kind of curious... I've been cubing for a while and there's been a lot that I wish I knew before I really got into it (eg be colour neutral, some events get the best cube but others you can go for budget)
I wish I knew the big three 😂