• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What are your thoughts on recognizing multi-blind means?

Are you in favor of recognizing mbld means?

• Total voters
U

Underwatercuber

Someone pointed out graham got a 56 official mean and I thought it was pretty cool, it led me to start thinking about officially recognizing them and I’m interested in seeing what people think about it.

U

Underwatercuber

no, too many comps have only 1 or 2 multis so getting the opportunity to get means is extremely comp-dependent
I would guess that competitions would be more likely to hold 3 attempts than before.

most recent numbers I could find are that in 2018 about 10% of comps with mbld had bo3, 22% bo2 and 68% Bo1.

Sowrduk

WCA
2018SATO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It takes an hour to do a multi attempt so the organisers will not like having 3 attempts at most comps as they can add more rounds and events instead of multi when only people that are good wants 3 attempts

U

Underwatercuber

It takes an hour to do a multi attempt so the organisers will not like having 3 attempts at most comps as they can add more rounds and events instead of multi when only people that are good wants 3 attempts
Organizers would not be required to hold 3 attempts. It’s just like how fmc currently is where organizers can hold 1,2,or 3 attempts and means are recognized.

porkynator

WCA
2011TRON02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Cross-posting from FB:

It would be very cool to see an official ranking for multiblind means, but I am afraid this will "force" organizers to schedule 3 attempts, which is a pain.

The comparison with FMC doesn't really work because:
1. Mo3 is an objectively better way than Bo1/2/3 to rank FMC at comps. For multi not really, also because luck is a negligible factor.
2. One hour of FMC takes up considerably less resources than one hour of multiblind (scrambling, judges).

If the time limit is reduced to 30 minutes or less then definitely yes :)

Dylan Swarts

WCA
2017SWAR03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree with most who are against it. As much as I love multiblind, I just don't see comps being able to do that. My country is one of them. Actually my whole continent. The amount of time needed is too long like mentioned in above posts. The amount of interest in multiblind is also very low sadly.