• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What are your favorite books?

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
What are your favorite books? I've recently been reading "Atomic Habits" by James Clear (from Jamesclear.com) and so far it's great. "The Power of Habit" was a fantastic book and it's always good to refresh building good habits and removing bad ones.

Some of the better books I've read in the last year:
- "Sapiens" by Harari, and his second book "Homo Deus", as well as his third "21 Lessons for the 21st Century" - all incredible and thought provoking
- "The Emerald Mile" on the fastest boat trip through the Grand Canyon in 1983, was a fun read after rafting there earlier this year
- "Enlightenment Now" by Pinker on the current state of the world - excellent read if you're pessimistic about the current state of affairs
- "The Everything Store" on Bezos and Amazon - it's incredible how in 1994 Bezos basically predicted what Amazon is today.

I use Goodreads.com to come up with a strategy of the next book to read as there is never enough time to read all the books I want to, so it seems these days every book I read changes how I think about the world.

What books do you guys like and why?

TJardigradHe

WCA
2017HONG17
I enjoyed "The 100-year-old-man who climbed out the window and disappeared", it's a historical fiction/black comedy. It was originally written in Swedish.

Kumato

I love the Harry Potter series. I also loved "The Measure Of The Universe". But one book that never fails to make me cry is "Integrated Mathematics 2"

Hazel

Premium Member
What are your favorite books? I've recently been reading "Atomic Habits" by James Clear (from Jamesclear.com) and so far it's great. "The Power of Habit" was a fantastic book and it's always good to refresh building good habits and removing bad ones.

Some of the better books I've read in the last year:
- "Sapiens" by Harari, and his second book "Homo Deus", as well as his third "21 Lessons for the 21st Century" - all incredible and thought provoking
- "The Emerald Mile" on the fastest boat trip through the Grand Canyon in 1983, was a fun read after rafting there earlier this year
- "Enlightenment Now" by Pinker on the current state of the world - excellent read if you're pessimistic about the current state of affairs
- "The Everything Store" on Bezos and Amazon - it's incredible how in 1994 Bezos basically predicted what Amazon is today.

I use Goodreads.com to come up with a strategy of the next book to read as there is never enough time to read all the books I want to, so it seems these days every book I read changes how I think about the world.

What books do you guys like and why?
This is pretty late, but I've been reading "Enlightenment Now" for a class in school, we're almost done with the last chapter. Good read and very informative!

Reactions: pjk

Hazel

Premium Member
Where do you live and what class/grade is it? Awesome to hear you're reading that in school.
I'm on the east coast (of the US) in a small private school, I'm in 10th grade. The class is called "SOC: The Enlightenment: Source of All Good Ideas". It's really cool because we go really in depth in every chapter, like right now we're heavily discussing utilitarianism from the final chapter.

Reactions: pjk

White KB

Premium Member
WCA
2019BRUC01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh and don't forget A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. The Netflix series follows the books pretty close if you don't want to read about some orphans who got a depressing song about them written that goes like this:
CLICK THE LINK PLSv v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v
Three children lose their home and go to live with someone awful, <----(That's a link by the way)
He tries to steal their fortune with a plan that's not quite lawful. ^CLICK THE LINK
It's hard to fathom how the orphans manage to live through it,
But how a decent person like yourself would even wish to view it...