• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Waffle's Roux Tutorial

Tiw

...a U-perm^^

Scramble: M U' M2 U' M U2 M U2 M'. Solve EO: M'.
--> Nice! And in your EO of scramble 5, you set up with M' U2 M' and then you orient all with M, right?

jms_gears1

Premium Member
WCA
2009MAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Has step 4c skipped radomly in your solution of the 4th scramble?
No, I used U-permutation.

What have you done in the solution of the 5th scramble at the beginning?
I don't understand your EO.
Sometimes I think it's better to leave F/B centers on U/D. The EO definition stays the same.

Here's an example where it helps a lot. Scramble: M U' M2 U' M U2 M U2 M'. Solve EO: M'.

ok so how do you do EO and L/R pieces at the same time like that? it doesnt make much sense to me.

i guess what i mean is how do you do it with F/B on U/D

Johannes91

Sometimes I think it's better to leave F/B centers on U/D. The EO definition stays the same.
ok so how do you do EO and L/R pieces at the same time like that? it doesnt make much sense to me.

i guess what i mean is how do you do it with F/B on U/D
I don't do them at the same time...? First EO, then permute UR and UL (preserving EO), then permute M. I don't understand what you're asking, please clarify.

jms_gears1

Premium Member
WCA
2009MAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
ohhh ermm never mind i saw what you did now....

the fifth scramble confused me a bit...

but my question is more along the lines of this:
How can you do EO with F/B centers on U/D?

Johannes91

How can you do EO with F/B centers on U/D?
The definition for UL and UR doesn't change: their orientation is correct iff the L/R sticker is on F/B/R/L face.

The definition for M-edges stays almost identical, too. You just look at their orientation relative to the M-centers instead of the faces of the cube. Put another way, if F/B are on U/D, every good M-edge becomes bad and vice versa.

That's it. Finding good solutions is (for me, anyway) a lot harder than if you always had U/D on U/D, but also more interesting and in some cases it saves many moves.

Tiw

I guess I get the hang of step 4 (--> It's party time! :D)
When I have 3 bad edges on top I can choose between UM, UM' , U'M and U'M'. This is all you need for a good step 4!!!!!
I have done an average of 100...a lot of work...and my average is 14.48 moves Stm! I'm so happy! :D :D :D

miniGOINGS

When I have 3 bad edges on top I can choose between UM, UM' , U'M and U'M'. This is all you need for a good step 4!!!!!
I have done an average of 100...a lot of work...and my average is 14.48 moves Stm! I'm so happy! :D :D :D

Yup. 'Tis what I do too.

Tiw

Roux is sexy :)

You're completly right :cool:

Yup. 'Tis what I do too.

I've forgotten to mention that if you have bad edges at LU, FU, RU, FD and the UL and UR edges on UF and DF you can do an M to fix the EO and it solves the L and R edges!

miniGOINGS

Roux is sexy :)

You're completly right :cool:

Yup. 'Tis what I do too.

I've forgotten to mention that if you have bad edges at LU, FU, RU, FD and the UL and UR edges on UF and DF you can do an M to fix the EO and it solves the L and R edges!

Roux is all about learning from patterns that you find. Good job.

darthyody

I just got my first sub-30 avg of 12 with Roux and a PB of 20.54 seconds. I haven't really been using Roux a whole lot since I learned it in the last few months until the last few days. I figured if I want to do 2x2 fast I need CLL, and all that alg learning for 2x2 alone seems wasteful so it kicked me back into using Roux even though I have yet to learn a single CLL alg (still using 2LLL).

jms_gears1

Premium Member
WCA
2009MAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
can someone please explain step 4's optimization at the bottom of this link?

http://grrroux.free.fr/method/Step_4.html

The purple are misorented. The Alg on the side shows where UL/UR are. when you do the alg, UR/UL should be together (like you do in 4b) and can be placed into the position easily (completing 4b).

i dont see how though..

like with 5a.

i do an M, now they are next to each other but what do i do from there?

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel

The purple are misorented. The Alg on the side shows where UL/UR are. when you do the alg, UR/UL should be together (like you do in 4b) and can be placed into the position easily (completing 4b).

i dont see how though..

like with 5a.

The "*" tells you that three misoriented edges have appeared on top. It says it right on top of these charts.

jms_gears1

Premium Member
WCA
2009MAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel

i dont see how though..

like with 5a.

The "*" tells you that three misoriented edges have appeared on top. It says it right on top of these charts.

i saw that but i dont get what to do..

ok so this scramble
LR'FU2L2R2B'LR'UB2

DF+DB are misoreinted
UR is at DF and
UL is at UF

so from what rouxs site said is you do an M and three bad edges have appeared on top.

so i do M and UL+UR are next to each other but oriented differently.

what would the 'alg' for EO and UL+UR in this situation

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
First you would do an M like on Roux's site, this makes the top and bottom colors the B and F respectively. EO accordingly. Finish.

So it should be like this

M U2
M' U M
U' M' U2 M' U' M

it makes it so less moves are done.

jms_gears1

Premium Member
WCA
2009MAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
First you would do an M like on Roux's site, this makes the top and bottom colors the B and F respectively. EO accordingly. Finish.

So it should be like this

M U2
M' U M
U' M' U2 M' U' M

it makes it so less moves are done.

ohh ok i get it now hmm

anyone want to try and generate scrambles for each of the cases so i can see if i understand it? itd be much appreciated. ive been trying to with cube explorer but im not sure what im doing most of the time...