• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Video] ShengShou 5x5 Mod Tutorial - The WorldRecord Mod by Florian

Florian

WCA
2010KREY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay. So I did this mod, with sandpaper, sandblock, and a knife and spent 14-15 hours with it
I rounded off the corner pieces like the Vcube5 corner mod, and then from the 3 stalks to the top
For center corners, I rounded off the small base and the long stalk(with a bump) till the top
For edges, i rounded off(obviously after cutting lots of plastic), the 2 long stalks till the top
I swapped with dayan springs, stil using the red core though

Here is the thing, after trying quite a lot to tension it, it always feels weird, the outer layers are super loose, i found a usable tension for them but at that the inner layers lock up quite a lot and they feel real tight. When i loosen it up so that inner layers feel comfortable, even a little inaccurate turning results in a pop of 3 pieces(1 center corner, 1 piece adjacent to center corner, and 1 edge piece)

Can someone help me? What went wrong? What should i do?

Additional info - I had done about 900 something solves on my SS already , so it was pretty well broken in. Do i need to give the cube time again to break in after this mod according to it ? (thats what i can think of as a problem). But might just be something more technical

Surpsisingly a lot of people have problems with the dayan springs switch them back and try again

Mollerz

Swag Overlord
WCA
2011MOLL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Right, so I spend a good chunk of yesterday doing this mod. First impressions, it's definitely better than an ss5 without the mod. Secondly, take your time to tension/lube it. I lubed to core with lubix and the surfaces with maru. I must have spent nearly 2 hours tensioning correctly, I still get the classic "Shengshou Lock", but it isn't really a lock and you can avoid them pretty easily after a few solves. There are definitely gaping holes in my outer layers, but I don't think I've taken off as much plastic as you have Florian, I personally believe taking off that much is unecessary but I guess we cannot compare cubes unless you are going to Euros/Worlds. I am very glad I've taken the time to do this, but the cube will take a few solves to get used to and I can see this being absolutely amazing after a few hundred solves to break it in.

BlueDevil

WCA
2011LOWR01
I'm trying this on my SS4x4 (already have the Konsta mod) Hopefully it will make it really good. I need to be able to tighten my cube without losing a lot of performance because my cube always pops in competition (and only in competition, as it would be rude to also pop while practicing at home :p)

I'll post with what I think once I finish.

Ickathu

WCA
2011MERT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
finished modding corner centers and outer corners. The only thing is that I don't have a good selection of sander-bits, so my corner stocks are a bit unmodded... I got them as well as I could, but it wasn't great. I'm gonna see if I can finish tomorrow, or friday. Hopefully I'll be able to do a bunch of 5x5 on saturday.

googlebleh

WCA
2012WEEC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Could someone help me out? I didn't really get a good idea how much to round off the center corners from the video or from Jianhan's photos. If someone could post pictures of the modded parts I have circled in the pic below, that would be much appreciated.

vlcsnap-2012-07-26-17h55m56s134.jpg

Thanks!

Ickathu

WCA
2011MERT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Could someone help me out? I didn't really get a good idea how much to round off the center corners from the video or from Jianhan's photos. If someone could post pictures of the modded parts I have circled in the pic below, that would be much appreciated.

View attachment 2269

Thanks!

Lots. More than that. I went to the sticker on the side with the stock/base of it, the part that actually goes into the cube. On the other sides I just took off maybe a few mm, just to round it. Not too much on those 3 sides though. I probably could have done it more though.
I don't think it's possible to OVER-mod this. I mean, you could... but by that point the pieces would be snapping. Just remember, if it's not round, sand it.

mdolszak

YouTube
Visit Channel
I dropped my SS 5x5 a couple of days ago, and it completely exploded (a whole center piece came off). I've put the pieces in the dishwasher to clean the lube off, and I think it's almost time to do the mod. :)

My cube has the orange core, the one without the extension things. I hear this is the better core/cube. Can someone confirm this? Are the 5x5s with the orange cores older and/or better? I know it is mentioned in the video, but I can't really understand it...

JianhanC

WCA
2010CHOO02
I dropped my SS 5x5 a couple of days ago, and it completely exploded (a whole center piece came off). I've put the pieces in the dishwasher to clean the lube off, and I think it's almost time to do the mod. :)

My cube has the orange core, the one without the extension things. I hear this is the better core/cube. Can someone confirm this? Are the 5x5s with the orange cores older and/or better? I know it is mentioned in the video, but I can't really understand it...

Yes, it's the older version, the one Florian has in his video. It is generally considered to be better, because the white cores have cracks in them.

Schmidt

WCA
2012SCHM07
I did this to my 4x4 corner stems instead of what Florian shows at ~14 min in his video.
I first did one the way he showed it, then I figured this out and did 5 really nice and round ones, bought a web cam today to show it and recorded the least successful attempt :( . Then I did the last one perfect :)

Inusagi

I have done the mod to my 5x5 now, and for some reason it just doesn't turn that good :( I first tried it with Dayan springs and lubed it with lubix, but got the same problems like a lot of other people have. Either the outer layer is good while the inner layer is not, or opposite. So I changed it back to the normal SS springs. It now cuts well, but the turning isn't that smooth. It also has this irritating lock up where the wing-edge and center-edge collides. So i get better times with my 3 month old shengshou that isn't modded than I get with my new shengshou that is modified. My old ss is much smoother and I feel a lot more controlled with it. What have I done wrong, or what can I do? :/

edit: yeah, and another thing I forgot to mention, was that mine doesn't cut as much as Florian showed, and I did get of alot of plastic. I was even afraid of over-modding from time to time

Last edited: