• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Using sand to make your cube go faster

Nukoca

I tried this, and it worked for me. First, though, I should tell all the people who think that it damages your cube: if you haven't done it yourself, then don't post that it will ruin your cube. :)

I popped out an edge, and put about 2 teaspoons of sand into my cube. I moved it around and (obviously) it was really, slow, and I could hear the pieces grinding themselves up in there. Which was good. The whole reason I did it was to remove the friction from the internal mechanism.

After a while, all the sand gradually fell out of the cube while solving it over and over. I repeated once or twice, and then I took it apart, washed and dried the pieces, and after reassembling, it was faster. Not a whole lot, but still faster, it had a noticable difference.

Swoncen

maybe you just felt the difference from the sandy cube and the non sandy cube.. how did you measure if it was faster?

Nukoca

It was a storebought, the difference was easy. I was able to do finger tricks. I was still slow, so I'm working on a core mod so I can put screws in to adjust the tension.

panyan

It was a storebought, the difference was easy. I was able to do finger tricks. I was still slow, so I'm working on a core mod so I can put screws in to adjust the tension.

why not just do it with finer and finer grades of sand until you have a great cube?

Nukoca

why not just do it with finer and finer grades of sand until you have a great cube?

Well, after I take the sand out, it sort of smooths out its insides after a bit of playing around with it. My pieces are already tuned to perfection. I just need to be able to adjust the core, because it's too tight. I switched them out with my other (more used, and with a looser core) and it moved way faster.

ThatGuy

WCA
2010GUSH01
i tried this once, right after i spayed it with silicone, i still have my pieces and their really good. not as good as wood varnish though.

daniel0731ex

ThatGuy

WCA
2010GUSH01
off topic but my name is very fitting, ThatGuy. Everyone seems to pass over me and i'm just that guy in the corner. lol

D

Deleted member 2864

Just use wire cutters to pull the core rivets....I can't find the tutorial, I'll edit my post when I do.

Edit: It's in another language, but here ya go.

I already hack-sawed the core off. I'll be buying a new core and using screws.

http://www.unicube.tw/06/TR_DIY.htm

you could have just cut it with pliers, it's easier.

but anyway, finally somebody remembered the tutorial:p

English translation of the website if you need it: http://www.worldlingo.com/en/websites/url_translator.html

Type in the url of the website and select japanese to english.

EDIT: lol... all translators for that site seem to be very bad...

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2864

English translation of the website if you need it: http://www.worldlingo.com/en/websites/url_translator.html

Type in the url of the website and select japanese to english.

EDIT: lol... all translators for that site seem to be very bad...

Google's is better: http://translate.google.com/transla....unicube.tw/06/force_adjust.htm&sl=auto&tl=en

lol... cube is box... google's pretty bad for that site, too... but at least you get the idea :p