• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

US Nationals 2021

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I include Michigan in the Midwest, but not Indiana and Ohio, I think of Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennessee as their own small region.

The naming of the midwest comes from it being the middle of the western hemisphere, at least east to west. The 90th line of longitude goes right through Illinois and Wisconsin. If you include the Great Plains states like the Dakotas in the midwest, then most of Pennsylvania could make a claim to that too, as that's equally as close to the 90th longitude line. Growing up in Michigan, I never saw the Dakotas, Nebraska, or Kansas as midwestern states.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Well, if you think of "authoritative sources" as "I-am-able-to-edit-it freely-and-make-it-look-like-anything-can-be-real-sources," then yeah.

This is such a stupid argument.
Aha! Something my collection of old encyclopedias is good for, beyond looking good on the shelf!

1970 World Book: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin.

2003 Encyclopedia Britannica: the Middle West is same list, but specifies that it is comprised of two regions: the Northwest Territory, or the Old Northwest, and the Great Plains.

Interestingly, the 2004 Compton’s and 1949 Encyclopedia Americana appear to have no mention of the Midwest or Middle West.

The FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multi stage...
Aha! Something my collection of old encyclopedias is good for, beyond looking good on the shelf!

1970 World Book: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin.

2003 Encyclopedia Britannica: the Middle West is same list, but specifies that it is comprised of two regions: the Northwest Territory, or the Old Northwest, and the Great Plains.

Interestingly, the 2004 Compton’s and 1949 Encyclopedia Americana appear to have no mention of the Midwest or Middle West.
I love how this analysis puts way more depth into the subject than there really should be.