• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Upcoming puzzles

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm already boycotting Gan for pricing-unrelated reasons so I don't care if their next cube is $500 or whatever. :p

I don't think I've explicitly mentioned my stance on cube pricing before, so here's my two million cents.

If cubes were targeted solely (or at least primarily) at an adult audience, then it absolutely makes sense for companies to price their products as high as however much people can pay for. Go ahead and crank up the price until profit is maximised! But speedcubing also has a huge child audience, and it seems kind of predatory that the one company that sponsors a huge proportion of the most famous fast cubers (Feliks, Max, Ruihang, etc.?) is also the one company that has much higher prices than all the other brands.

(Note: I know jack about sociology or economics or child psychology. For all I know, maybe this is acceptable behaviour to most of the world.)
Well parents are willing to buy their kids $1000 iphones and MacBooks so it's not entirely new.

Manxkiwi

Yes we do, but it is in Christchurch.
Ah, I see they've been open for a year! A long way from Waikato, but good non the less. Thanks.
Maybe they'll respond to me about a center cap I'm after, Mindplay haven't replied to numerous emails, texts and phone calls!

CubeRed

Ah, I see they've been open for a year! A long way from Waikato, but good non the less. Thanks.
Maybe they'll respond to me about a center cap I'm after, Mindplay haven't replied to numerous emails, texts and phone calls!
Wait, you live in Waikato? Me too!! I've bought some cubes online from them (I'm pretty sure we are talking about the same store) and they respond to emails very well.

Manxkiwi

Hmm, I've emailed them at least twice via their website. Phoned a number of times, no answer. Also I have left numerous enquiries on their Trademe ads, nothing has garnered a response! Maybe it's something I said? Ha ha
I met them in Hamilton at the last comp and they are really nice people, I just don't seem to be getting through.

Kaiju_cube

I actually disagree with this, because of how Moyu and Qiyi have been trending recently. The GTS3 was $35, the WRM 2019 was $39, the WRM 2020 was $35, and the WRM 2021 is only $27 ($23 for the lite version, $30 to get it with maglev), not to mention the RS3M line. As for Qiyi, they went from the Valk Elite at $45, down to the Tornado v2, which is $25, and is arguably better. Along with the Tornado, Qiyi has also made a couple very good budget 3x3s. Overall, the prices of cubes from these 2 companies are going down, which makes them even more of an obvious buy over Gan’s cubes.

Those are good and fair points. And one reason I've bought all the Moyu and Qiyi cubes to try them out. Because the prices are fair.

One nice thing about being an obsessive freak, .... er ... 'Collector',... is I get to try out all the cubes, because generally if I see a new cube I get it. And the difference between a $70. Gan and a $25. Moyu is pretty minor.

Gan has a soft-turning feel I generally haven't seen in other cubes, but that's about it. And you can get a Gan with that feel for like $30. (M Lite, 356x, etc.) An $80 3x3 is just, ... no. Lol.

Moyo and Qiyi make fantastic cubes at very reasonable and fair prices.

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
New smart cube from the makers of the Go cube. This one looks like a normal speed cube but has no magnets and a replaceable (rather than rechargeable) battery. Looks like a non-magnetic version of the Rubik's Connected to me, right down to the packaging.

J41

New smart cube from the makers of the Go cube. This one looks like a normal speed cube but has no magnets and a replaceable (rather than rechargeable) battery. Looks like a non-magnetic version of the Rubik's Connected to me, right down to the packaging.

Pretty interesting - keen to hear reviews on this re: how big an issue the lack of magnets is. I guess it's a good option for beginners potentially.