• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Ultimatecuber0814's Cubing Progression thread l CFOP Method l Goal to get sub20

When do you think I can reach sub 30 with cfop?

• One year

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • 3 months

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • 2 years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 month

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • A few weeks

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • 7 months

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok, technically I am NOT a speedcuber, my average is about 40secs. I use the beginner's method. I tried the CFOP method and it turns out I'm not good at it. But... to be honest I really improved a lot, from 2 min to under 1 min. AND I USE THE SAME METHOD. If you practice hard, you can achieve it (MY OPINION) Yeah... My goal is to get 30sec average.

CubeRed

Maybe the algorithm based approach doesn't really work for you. Try out other methods such as Roux ot Nautilus before you decide. Roux is more intuitive while Nautilus is fun and interesting then other methods. There is also ZZ that is pretty fun in the concepts of EO. Also 40sec average is plenty fast. ;)

Last edited:
Ok, technically I am NOT a speedcuber, my average is about 40secs. I use the beginner's method. I tried the CFOP method and it turns out I'm not good at it. But... to be honest I really improved a lot, from 2 min to under 1 min. AND I USE THE SAME METHOD. If you practice hard, you can achieve it (MY OPINION) Yeah... My goal is to get 30sec average.
You’re not gonna be great at a method instantly. It’s probably possible to get 30 average with the beginners method but it’s way easier to use a faster method
Like the person above me said, if all the algorithms in cfop are putting you off try a block building method or intuitive method, roux is a good option

YouTube
Visit Channel
Maybe the algorithm based approach doesn't really work for you. Try out other methods such as Roux ot Nautilus before you decide. Roux is more intuitive while Nautilus is fun and interesting then other methods. There is also ZZ that is pretty fun in the concepts of EO. Also 40sec average is plenty fast. ;)
Yep, I'll try learning that when I have the time

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
speedcuber just means someone who wants to get faster at solving cubes, not necessarily any sub-x.

YouTube
Visit Channel
You’re not gonna be great at a method instantly. It’s probably possible to get 30 average with the beginners method but it’s way easier to use a faster method
Like the person above me said, if all the algorithms in cfop are putting you off try a block building method or intuitive method, roux is a good option
yes of course

speedcuber just means someone who wants to get faster at solving cubes, not necessarily any sub-x.
I see... Hehe

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree with your opinion.

Keep practising yo!

(ec)3

i think if your goal is progression (to get faster) you are a speedcuber.

YouTube
Visit Channel
I've only ever used the beginner method after starting 10+ years ago, and my advice is to move on from it to a speedier method as soon as you can.
Yes, I'm now trying beginner cfop. So far I got an average of 47sec same as what I would get using beginner's method, but it's still not bad considering that I only learnt it two days ago. My cross, oll, pll, is okay, but my f2l is beyond worse. I do f2l for 22secs and I can't get faster, no matter how hard I try. Any suggestions?

I agree with your opinion.

Keep practising yo!
Yeah, thanks :)

CubeRed

Yes, I'm now trying beginner cfop. So far I got an average of 47sec same as what I would get using beginner's method, but it's still not bad considering that I only learnt it two days ago. My cross, oll, pll, is okay, but my f2l is beyond worse. I do f2l for 22secs and I can't get faster, no matter how hard I try. Any suggestions?
F2L is the part that most beginner cubers trip over. Whatever you do, don't get discouraged. Whole lots of improvement will be waiting!

J41

Awesome! That sounds like great progress to me - love your work.

I'm not the one to provide F2L advice as I'm not very good at it myself (and don't use it typically, to my own detriment), but these forums have countless resources that'll be of assistance. :) I'm sure others will be able to pitch in with tips for F2L.

Good luck!

YouTube
Visit Channel
Awesome! That sounds like great progress to me - love your work.

I'm not the one to provide F2L advice as I'm not very good at it myself (and don't use it typically, to my own detriment), but these forums have countless resources that'll be of assistance. :) I'm sure others will be able to pitch in with tips for F2L.

Good luck!
Yes..... Hopefully I can get sub 40 before the end of this month!

Reactions: J41

SH03L4C3

The orange centerpiece from your main 3x3
When I reached 40 with beginners, I stopped improving. It was not until I started using f2l. At first, I did not like it, and it slowed me down. But then after a week of practice, I continued improving.

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thank you all for the tips! I had improved A LOT! Tysm Thus, I want to invite you to an online comp. Some of you might have registered for it already. It's in a therad. But, heres the link:
How this competition works:
-The 30 competitors will receive an email from M C at October 9 and follow the instructions there.
-I will announce the winners in that email after the competition ends.
Notes:
- Please note that there are no prizes to the podium winners, this competition is just for fun!
-There is a limit to 30 competitors
-No cheating as it won't do you any good!
-You will be disqualified if I feel that your results are not acceptable
-The date of the competition is October 9
-You may attend more than 1 event

Please ask your questions in the comments below.

Thank you.

If you would like me to do more competitions like this, please tell me in the comments below!

Here is the link to sign up for the competition: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...qYB6TBWnIgWOQZbsG8OoPx1w/viewform?usp=sf_link

YouTube
Visit Channel
If you want any tips just ask! (You can contact me on conversations)
Ok thanks

Oh yeah I want to ask you if I should get a timer and mat. Due to the pandemic, there are no WCA comps in my area but I might attend one in the future. I can get a gift at the end of the year so I'm asking if I should buy a timer and mat or a cube.

Last edited:

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok thanks

Oh yeah I want to ask you if I should get a timer and mat. Due to the pandemic, there are no WCA comps in my area but I might attend one in the future. I can get a gift at the end of the year so I'm asking if I should buy a timer and mat or a cube.
Well, get the timer+mat if you really want to get serious about competing, get a new cube if your current puzzle is not just suiting you, plus some lube.