• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

To anyone who has switched methods, what is your story?

What method did you switch to?

• Total voters

Insert---Name

I used to use CFOP and switched to Roux as well. I averaged around 16 with CFOP but thought Roux was a cool method so I decided to learn it. I thought doing M moves to finish solving the cube was really satisfying but I gave up really quickly because although LSE was satisfying, it was too hard for me. A few days later I decided to try and learn it again. This time I was starting to get good at LSE after finding some EO algorithms but still didn't feel like switching. After that I found Sean's vid where he did a sub 6 Ao5 with Roux. That really helped me make the decision to switch to Roux (and the fact I gave up learning OLL helped I guess). I started learning full CMLL after I averaged sub 20 with Roux. I ended up learning EOLR and my times dropped from around 16 seconds to 14. I still wasn't doing F2B efficiently and I decided to practice that. Right now I average 11-13 seconds and recently got a sub 10 Mo3.

YouTube
Visit Channel
I started with pogobat LBL because it was easy to learn, then Samsara LBL to get introduce myself into CFOP last layer, then I wanted to get into F2L (but F2L is difficult) so I used badmephisto's Beginner CFOP method.

[Time: Sub-1 on 3x3]

Cross was a pain as a beginner so I decided to learn other methods to grasp more techniques and builds.
Roux was the first thing that showed up, but blockbuilding was hard as a beginner, so I needed to start myself off to Salvia method and then transition myself to beginner Roux.

LSE was a pain, so I went back to CFOP and then wanted to get advanced in last layer. OLL was kinda easy, but PLL algs were difficult for me. Some OLLs and most PLLs were a pain to learn and memorize back then, so I decided to practice and switch to CFCE. CLL was okay but ELL recognition made it much worse.

[Time: Sub-50 on 3x3 (I was really struggling)]

ZZ was the next thing that showed up, but I gave up learning it because I couldn't understand the tutorial about EO.
So of course, Petrus was next, and so I learned beginner petrus. The EO step tutorial was confusing, so I ignored that step and just went off to last layer normally. It was kinda slow and inefficient for me since I kept doing 2 cross edge->F2L pair->cross edge->F2L pair, etc.

Then I began learning and experiencing other methods: Columns First, Triangular Francisco, Ortega SPAM/Waterman, FreeFOP (codernunk64 version), 8355, and Pikas**t.

Then I decided to practice with CFOP; of course cross was still a pain and there weren't any good vids for me to get better at cross during this time. Then I realized something. The scramble is hard for CFOP, but easy for Roux if I made a 1x2x3 block. So I solved it with Roux but then ending up at a bad situation for second block, however, there's an easy 3/4 cross setup like FreeFOP method and decided to use that method step instead. Then back to CFOP for last slot and last layer. This is where I realized I can switch methods in every step, so I decided to make a conceptual method for myself,
"Lazy CFOP", a "method manipulation" speedsolving method. So I started creating my own cases and tricks to study when and when not to use a certain method/subset during a certain scramble case.

[Time Sub-30 on 3x3]

This became my main method. As time goes by, I slowly learned advanced F2L tricks, Full OLL, Full PLL, COLL algs, LSE, ZZF2L tricks, blockbuilding, and others that I don't remember. I still became impatient with EO, so I didn't learn that during this time. Lookahead was also a struggle and I also became impatient practicing it too.

After over a year, I became sub-20 with Lazy CFOP and comfortably advanced with 3x3.

[Time Sub-20 on 3x3]

After being Sub-20 with Lazy CFOP for a year, I finally learned EO and other cool ZZ techniques.
Afterwards, I became so advanced that I slowly lost some of my Lazy CFOP tricks due to becoming more efficient with my solves.
Cross was still a struggle and so as lookahead. As I was practicing CFOP, F2L started to become a struggle for me because I kept rotating and I feel restricted when I can't disrupt the cross edge. That's where I decided to move to Petrus.

I practiced blockbuilding and it felt much easier for me to do free moves with no restrictions. I did ended up learning advanced fingertricks and unusual pair insertions.

[Time Sub-15 on 3x3]

Here's where I am now (well Sub-14 now). At this point, I'm kinda satisfied enough and I'm not really too desperate in becoming sub-10.
Sorry my story was long.

ribbon method

I started with pogobat LBL because it was easy to learn, then Samsara LBL to get introduce myself into CFOP last layer, then I wanted to get into F2L (but F2L is difficult) so I used badmephisto's Beginner CFOP method.

Cross was a pain as a beginner so I decided to learn other methods to grasp more techniques and builds.
Roux was the first thing that showed up, but blockbuilding was hard as a beginner, so I needed to start myself off to Salvia method and then transition myself to beginner Roux.

LSE was a pain, so I went back to CFOP and then wanted to get advanced in last layer. OLL was kinda easy, but PLL algs were difficult for me. Some OLLs and most PLLs were a pain to learn and memorize back then, so I decided to practice and switch to CFCE. CLL was okay but ELL recognition made it much worse.

ZZ was the next thing that showed up, but I gave up learning it because I couldn't understand the tutorial about EO.
So of course, Petrus was next, and so I learned beginner petrus. The EO step tutorial was confusing, so I ignored that step and just went off to last layer normally. It was kinda slow and inefficient for me since I kept doing 2 cross edge->F2L pair->cross edge->F2L pair, etc.

Then I began learning and experiencing other methods: Columns First, Triangular Francisco, Ortega SPAM/Waterman, FreeFOP (codernunk64 version), 8355, and Pikas**t.

Then I decided to practice with CFOP; of course cross was still a pain and there weren't any good vids for me to get better at cross during this time. Then I realized something. The scramble is hard for CFOP, but easy for Roux if I made a 1x2x3 block. So I solved it with Roux but then ending up at a bad situation for second block, however, there's an easy 3/4 cross setup like FreeFOP method and decided to use that method step instead. Then back to CFOP for last slot and last layer. This is where I realized I can switch methods in every step, so I decided to make a conceptual method for myself,
"Lazy CFOP", a "method manipulation" speedsolving method. So I started creating my own cases and tricks to study when and when not to use a certain method/subset during a certain scramble case.

[Time Sub-30 on 3x3]

This became my main method. As time goes by, I slowly learned advanced F2L tricks, Full OLL, Full PLL, COLL algs, LSE, ZZF2L tricks, blockbuilding, and others that I don't remember. I still became impatient with EO, so I didn't learn that during this time. Lookahead was also a struggle and I also became impatient practicing it too.

After over a year, I became sub-20 with Lazy CFOP and comfortably advanced with 3x3.

[Time Sub-20 on 3x3]

After being Sub-20 with Lazy CFOP for a year, I finally learned EO and other cool ZZ techniques.
Afterwards, I became so advanced that I slowly lost some of my Lazy CFOP tricks due to becoming more efficient with my solves.
Cross was still a struggle and so as lookahead. As I was practicing CFOP, F2L started to become a struggle for me because I kept rotating and I feel restricted when I can't disrupt the cross edge. That's where I decided to move to Petrus.

I practiced blockbuilding and it felt much easier for me to do free moves with no restrictions. I did ended up learning advanced fingertricks and unusual pair insertions.

[Time Sub-15 on 3x3]

Here's where I am now (well Sub-14 now). At this point, I'm kinda satisfied enough and I'm not really too desperate in becoming sub-10.
Sorry my story was long.
Well shite im only sub 50

[Time Sub-30 on 3x3]

[Time Sub-20 on 3x3]

[Time Sub-15 on 3x3]

Sorry my story was long.
*FreeFOP

zslane

I'm sticking with CFOP (after having switched to it from beginner method). Enough world titles have been won with CFOP that I feel confident the limiting factor for me isn't the method but my brain and fingers. Switching one hard-to-master method for another doesn't sound terribly productive to me. Especially since my goal has nothing whatsoever to do with becoming #1 in the world or competing for titles.

YouTube
Visit Channel
That makes u less cool

Please don't say that, he can potentially be super fast at OH using LEOR. In fact, it's pretty cool for someone to use it as a main on OH.
Telling someone that uses a very underrated method is not cool is very messed up and discouraging.
That's like having people telling me that I can't make friends with other cool cubers because I use a beginner method and not an advanced speedcubing method like them.
Never say that to anyone please.

ribbon method

Please don't say that, he can potentially be super fast at OH using LEOR. In fact, it's pretty cool for someone to use it as a main on OH.
Telling someone that uses a very underrated method is not cool is very messed up and discouraging.
That's like having people telling me that I can't make friends with other cool cubers because I use a beginner method and not an advanced speedcubing method like them.
Never say that to anyone please.
I meant it as a jk

Pika

For me i used to use CFOP but then i switched to roux because of interest, i was having a blast! i used Roux a lot and ended up in my first 1 minute flat solve! then when i was looking for roux tutorials i stumbled upon this website which i admit was a great experience and i didn't regret accidentally clicking a link to this website from a youtuber :). Then i introduced myself to this community and one of them actually suggested for me to try petrus, so i did, and it turned me into switching from roux to petrus, and i got an idea where i would try to learn as much methods as i can, and it turned out pretty well! i learned 7 methods in just 4 weeks. right now im still trying to learn as much methods as i possibly can and for now i don't even have a main method :p i just solve the cube using a method that i see fit on the scramble the most.

edit: actually i think its in 3 weeks... but i learned the basic parts so ye
so that's how it feels being method neutral

povlhp

Started slowly early December. J.Perm beginners method.
Then I learned 4LLL and intuitive F2L
Then early February, I felt stuck at 1m40s, so decided to try Roux. Fewer algorithms to learn, more intuitive.
2-look CMLL is just the algorithms from OLL/PLL I learned from J.Perm. Tried to learn the T-cases, but do not solve enough, so I can do the algorithms, I can name the case, but still can't always pick the right algorithm based on the case. And it has grown worse. Likely means I will delay learning full CMLL until I am around 30s.

I replaced the 2 adjacent corner swap algorithm, but kept the other. Progress just continues. 53.xx Ao100. Still not as efficient at FB as I want to. I am blue/green color neutral, and has started doing more yellow solves as well to get that. Not really difficult, but still have to think. Green/yellow means green red in left front. Sometimes I run random swap algorithms on randomly oriented cube, so I do get a little practice with other top/bottom colors.

PS: Still does the occasional beginners method solve so I can help beginners, and CFOP as well.

tsmosher

I've only been cubing for roughly a year.

As everyone does, I started with the beginner's method.
Discovered CFOP/F2L and began trying to hone my chops on F2L.
From here, I got lost in a sea of different block-building methods... primarily Heise and Petrus.
(At this point, Roux SB was too difficult for me to do without destroying FB, so I ditched Roux.)

I would say that for a little while, I used my own version of Petrus as my main method. I simply liked block-building at the beginning more than anything else I'd tried (cross, EO, etc...). After 223, I would do Petrus-W style EO only to (usually) mess it up during the final F2L pairs. Some version of O(C)LL/PLL to finish.

(Side note on LL methods: I went through a lot of LL methods. phasing/OCLL-EPP/PLL -- OCLL/OLLCP-A/EPLL -- 2L OLL/2L PLL -- OCLL/CPLL/LSE -- LLEF/CPLL.)

Wanting to get faster (because my son was consistently beating me at F2L), I returned to the basics with CFOP. Relearned all of the F2L cases-- learning as many intuitively as possible in order to minimize the number of algorithms cluttering my head. Practiced hard for months with CFOP, improving very little. From ~1:00, I got down to low 40s ao10 (PB of 27 sec.).

That's when I realized I never really liked CFOP. It just felt too rigid/structured/unimaginative. (This was just as I had finished learning full OLL as well.)

I now use my own version of Roux/LEOR. It is simple and suits my needs (which is not speedsolving). It allows me to be creative at the start of my solve or to take a number of guided/shepherded starts if I am speedsolving (usually against my sons). LSE to finish (specifically 4c) is my favorite way to finish. Only gripe is learning COLL which has been daunting. EOLR/BF right before LS gives me more triggers to utilize and has been teaching me how to solve all of the F2L cases <RU> (for LS). I am still VERY slow, but I'm hoping that improves with solves and practice. One thing I've quickly come to terms with is the fact that I am not fast at solving and probably never will be; having picked up the cube at a MUCH older age than most, I am just happy to solve it.

I still love to learn new methods or new ideas for existing methods. But I definitely think I've finally stumbled upon the method I will use for the foreseeable future.

povlhp

Not fast either. But love roux. Still do the occasional beginners and cfop solve.
Started learning CMLL but dropped it. Not enough solves to keep remembering it.
If I start swapping corners around 30s, I know the time will be good. Likely under 50s.
only PB under 40s so far. But a few 40.x seconds. 50+ y.I.

ruffleduck

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey, so here's my story.

When I started speedcubing back in February 2020, I learned CFOP. I was loyal to CFOP and I even got into the "OO" cult in late 2020 and started to over-optimize not only OLL/PLL but also F2L. During this period I developed a high turn speed and learned to execute difficult algorithms quite fast. I am placed #11 in the world for recorded PLL average (0.87 framecounted, sadly lost footage because i deleted my yt account).

But slowly, I realized that the whole "OO" thing was not improving my times at all and I was simply wasting my time over-optimizing my algs. I went back to using more traditional algs and started focusing more on important things like lookahead. This was during late January 2021 - early February. I got my first sub 10 ao100.

I started to lose interest in CFOP as I felt it was uncreative and repetitive.

I have played around with Roux many times during my speedcubing journey, but it never felt like the right method to me. I acknowledge that Roux is a great method and is absolutely superior to CFOP, but it just didn't work out for me. I sucked at Roux-style blockbuilding and I hated MU gen algs.

So, I picked up ZZ.

I used ZZ for a few weeks and enjoyed it a lot. I enjoyed EO blockbuilding and RUL turning, and I started to pick up some ZBLL and started implementing that in my solves. I knew that this was the right method for me.

So here I am, sub 12 with ZZ. I think if I improve my EO-cross planning and solution, and learn more ZBLL, I can easily get back to what I was averaging with CFOP and beyond!

I really think everyone should seriously consider trying out a method other than CFOP. Even if you decide not to switch, you can get a better understanding of the cube and perhaps even improve your CFOP skill.

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I switched from CFOP to Mehta because I think Mehta has the potential to be the best 2H method out there, but most people won't believe it unless they see fast results, so my goal is to get fast results with it to prove its viability. It's been way more fun to practice Mehta than CFOP, so I'm sticking with it for the foreseeable future. I averaged about 10 with CFOP and now I'm around 14 with Mehta. After several months, I'm still quite a bit slower, but I feel like my path to improvement is clearer. Mehta has a lot of algs, so if you're ok with that and want a fun but fast new method, I highly recommend learning Mehta.