• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Thoughts on quitting cubing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Cuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Good Night,

This is the first thread that I made after 5 years of hiatus in this forum. Why is that? For years I've literally "wasted" money and time dedicated to cubing. I have quitted 4 years ago and I still wonder,

What is the point of all of the cubing matters that I had onto?

You see, this is not a rant or anything. Just a basic question of WHY and WHAT FOR cubing pretty much is. I spend a lot of money and time onto it, and now I end up with nothing after quitting. But the time and money I've spend are pretty much irrecoverable.

I know, sure, it was fun and entertaining. But isn't it just like other hobbies? I'm convinced by what it is, and what it's all about. But I'm still wondering around with this. Is this supposed to happen, or not? Yet, there's a very little chance that you're going to not quit!

True, nothing lasts forever. However, we still have to use the time that we have as efficient and as well as possible and I regret all of this! I felt like I was trapped into some addiction and I happen to be quite grateful that I'm out of it. Why did I waste my money and time on something that gets me nothing? Why didn't I use the money and time for better purposes if I KNOW that I'm going to quit and that's it?

This can develop into a more complex situation. If I know that you have a very few chance that you're going to not quit, shouldn't I hesitate to quit as well?

Thanks for reading. I'm excited for your input!

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It sounds like you want to quit, just quit if that's true. My opinion is:

1. If you made friends...
2. If you got to travel and see new places...
3. If you learnt skills from cubing that transfer to other hobbies or to the real world...
4. If you enjoyed the time you spent cubing...

...then it wasn't a waste of time.

WCA
2013BARK01
If you don't have the money to be a cuber then don't, but like Ollie and sqAree mentioned it's not a waste of time if you like doing it and you have that spare time. If you feel like it's becoming an obsession then you don't have to completely quit. Most people wouldn't consider doing an average of 12 or two a day an "obsession".

Fire Cuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Huh? Who changed the title? If you think that's the best title, so be it. It's not about quitting, but finding the real meaning of cubing.

The thing that you fail to understand is the other hobbies that I tried gets you all the things that cubing gives with less chance of quitting.

My little 12 y.o mind at that time was able to realize all of this, I could have done something better that lasts longer and is potentially more enjoyable. Yes, I gained friends and travel experience, but does it apply only to cubing?

I'm still solving cubes once or twice daily now, but for you who started to become obsessed and addicted, my story can be read throughly so that you won't regret later. I'm sure we're not trying to put straw men on the farms, right? Never did I mentioned someone is stopping me from quitting.

And of course, back to the main question!

PS sorry for grammatical/spelling mistakes, too lazy to check them.

Last edited:
what else will you do with you're life you go to school/work and then what? play games no that costs money do a sport like swimming no that costs money go out with your friends no that cost money watch tv no that costs money complain on the internet that your wasting money no internet costs money sit on the street and stare at the birds? good idea if you have nothing to do why not cube it is cheaper than most hobbies a $15 cube will entertain most of us for atlest 2 weaks a $10 movie ticket intertains you for 2 hours make youre choice?

Fire Cuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
We're not strictly talking about money here, I'm trying to differentiate the use of the money in a particular hobby, which I then quit.

Honestly I'm not listening what you are trying to judge about me. If you wish to continue, go on, but I'm not going to.

Let me break this down so it's easier for you. Your situation isn't relevant in this question, it is a fact that I used a first person form in the main question. Apply your thoughts as if you are in my situation.

Sure, I have enjoyed a lot of it, but knowing that I'm going to quit sometime in the near future, what is the point?

WCA
2013BARK01
Just because everyone will quit cubing eventually doesn't mean that it's a waste of money. Sure, whenever I quit, my cubes will seem worthless to me, and it will seem like I wasted $1000 on something that I would eventually quit, but is $1000 such a high price to pay for years of good memories? Not just my fastest 3x3 sniggles, but also all of the people, all of the competitions, etc.
Knowing that sometime we all end up dying, what is the point of living?
puts it perfectly

Rcuber123

WCA
2014TAMI01
If you are expecting to gain something out of an activity then it's not a hobby. Cubing is a hobby. For almost every hobby u need to buy equipment. Either you have never had a hobby before except Cubing or u make a rant like this on every hubby's forum because Cubing is like almost every hobby. The difference for me between Cubing and every other hobby is that I enjoy Cubing more. If u don't enjoy Cubing(which is totally fine) then move on to a different hobby. If u don't want any hubby's then that's fine too just don't expect any gain except entertainment out of these kind of things.

Fire Cuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
The question is crystal clear and repeated throughout the thread, I'm not going to mention it again. The details are put on the initial post, you may refer to that if you are perplexed.

For others, I want to encourage them to not be too obsessed and addicted (like I was), this is normal for any sort of enjoyment there is on the planet. In my case though, the question is still not answered convincingly yet.

I want to keep this discussion as civil as possible, from now on I'm going to only respond to convincing answers. Thanks in advance.

porkynator

WCA
2011TRON02
YouTube
Visit Channel
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."

I think it's a common misconception that only things that stay are worth it ; that pretty much applies to everything in life, let it be people, love, hobbies, etc.

I agree with sqAree. Did you enjoy cubing?
I know, sure, it was fun and entertaining.
Yes, you did. So you didn't waste time. You could say the same about watching a movie, playing (video)games or hanging out with friends.

You don't enjoy it as much anymore? Ok, you can quit, or cube less, as you're doing.

If money is your concern, you can try selling your used cubes and get back some of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.