• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Worst Competition Moments

Galcor117

For example, on the final round for 2x2, the corner stock of my weipo (my main and the only 2x2 i brough) broke. I had to use a freaking YJ Yupo...
At least it was a decent Yupo but i still got the worst average out of all 3 rounds... still sub 5 tho

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Unfortunate moment at the last Euro: Travelled to Spain with my 4 year old son, got very tired on the second day after playing all day and night until way after midnight. Third day almost impossible to wake him up on time for the 2x2x2 event first thing in the morning....which lasted for 2 solves (6.6, 6.8 seconds with a 6 second cut-off). Next event 7 hours later!
My personal opinion: Cut-offs shorter than inspection time are ridiculous, especially if you have to pay for the event.

(We enjoyed the 7 hours with friends and Madrid of course)

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Arnaud - so good to hear from you here - it's been a long time since you've posted here! Welcome back!
I have read speedsolving once in a while, visited a couple of comps, kept meeting speedcubers/friends, but have mostly been busy with family life. Now that my oldest is starting to enjoy cubing/travelling I am increasing my activity levels again and I have a lot to catch up with since "AvGalen,Oct 30, 2014"
* Magnets
* WR's
* WCA-changes
* Red-Bull
* Rubik's/Cubicle
* so many new (Dutch) cubers
* so many comps with many participants and creditcard-requirements

I hesitated a bit to make my first post a negative one, but I always give criticism when needed and see them as possible improvements. There was a lot good about Euro 2018 but also more bad than I would expect at this point in time.

More posts and comps coming up!

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
At Clock n' Cats 2018 in Wisconsin, I failed feet and missed the win by just over a second because of two things:

Solve 1 was just bad (59), and solve two was good (43).
On solve 3, I had an easy ZBLL with some wide moves D moves. I started the alg, was unsure of how to finish it, un-did the alg, remembered how to do it, and re did the alg, for a counting 58.
On solve 4, I was got to PLL (an R perm) at low 30. During the alg, I corner twisted my Gan Air, and had to untwist it, resulting in a 47.
Solve 5 was good (41).
Average was not good (49).

AI missed out on a Top WR100 average- something I've never had. My old single (46) was 71st in the world last year, and my average had been around 110th.

Then, we were ahead of schedule, but the kid who won didn't want an extra round because he probably wouldn't have kept his 1st place.

Then I failed megaminx finals and +2 a 9.4 in 3x3.

CodingCuber

WCA
2019HERR14
Bump. This thread reminded me of my first pyraminx solve at my first competition. There was a stained glass window at the back of the competing area that, for some reason, they decided to set up a solving station there. I happened to be solving there. The sun was in such a position that it shined right through the yellow part of the window and on to my pyraminx. This made it impossible to distinguish between yellow and green and my solve went horrible. Actually, my entire first competition wasn’t too enjoyable only because I focused too much on my solves and didn’t talk to other cubers. I have since learned to do the opposite. That’s my story, what are some of yours?