• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Solve time scoring rules.

Dane man

I understand that averages exclude the Best and Worst times then mean the remaining 10 or 3 etc. But what if you have more than one DNF. How are those counted (In WCA competitions)?

Also with standard deviation. Do you exclude the best and worst? How are DNF's counted? Is standard deviation used in WCA competitions?

Dane man

Thanks. So WCA doesn't use standard deviation. If it did, should it include the worst and best times?

I think it should because std. dev. shows how inconsistant you are and if your best and worst times are extremely different then you are that inconsistant. Anyone?

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
First thing, some people in this thread should go and read the WCA regulations because the answers to their questions are there.

Secondly, the implication seems to be that lower SD is better, but why? I'm not saying it is better or worse, I just want a good reason why consistency should be favoured over inconsistency with more potential for faster times.

Dane man

I'm not saying that consistency should be favoured over inconsistancy. Only that, since standard deviation is used only for your own purposes, would you prefer to include or exclude the extremes.

Although that would be an interesting debate. Does consistancy show that you are a more solid cuber, or does inconsistancy show that you want to reach those lower times without having to work to bring your average down (practical)?

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
On speedsolving events, between two cubers who get the same average, I'd rather be the less consistent one. Better singles are possible (not to mention better avg5's), but it also means you have more potential, since you only have to improve or get rid of the bad solves to get better, rather than having to get faster every time.

FatBoyXPC

WCA
2010LACH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well the math could easily be done to verify that, or all 5 solves could be put into something like CCT to check the standard deviation of the regular format, or all 5 solves. I just checked it, and it is all 5 solves.