• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The rise of Chinese cubers? (Yiheng Wang (王艺衡) / Ruihang Xu (许瑞航) / Yezhen Han (韩业臻))

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
according to the gan gurus interview with parents, they learn how to solve in preschool. by the time I learned to solve, I was already like 3x the age of this kid and that is ridiculous.

when I was FOUR YEARS OLD I think I was playing with crayons or something. astounding. like he doesnt even have the lightning tps of the older kids.

Fast Nelson

Not only these 2 young Chinese cubers, JiaZhou Li who is the 2x2 champion in worlds 2019 also set an insane 3x3 average PR recently. Chinese cubers are really rising up these days. I think one of the main reasons is situation of the virus is pretty stable in China and they can already have many competitions to train themselves. In Hong Kong, there’s only 1 competition a year and it’s cancelled due to the pandemic :(

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Not only these 2 young Chinese cubers, JiaZhou Li who is the 2x2 champion in worlds 2019 also set an insane 3x3 average PR recently. Chinese cubers are really rising up these days. I think one of the main reasons is situation of the virus is pretty stable in China and they can already have many competitions to train themselves. In Hong Kong, there’s only 1 competition a year and it’s cancelled due to the pandemic :(
comps aren't training, they just give more chances to have a good official time. the lockdown may have made more people stay at home and practice things that can be done easily at home such as cubing

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
It's very possible that we'll see in the US and Europe the kind of progress that we're seeing now in China if we ever get competitions again.
Pennsylvania Championships is coming up soon. I plan on being there. Virtually certain new records will be set there.

minor update: Yezhen Han's WR2 is officially entered on WCA leaderboards. The people listed in my title, Yiheng, Ruihang, and Yezhen are 11th, 4th, and 2nd in the world now. Surreal

Eric Zhou

Imagine if they learn to be colour neutral, advanced F2L techniques and stuff like WV. They'd probably be sub 6.5. Meanwhile I'm struggling to be sub 10. And I'm guessing Han could beat Felik's 5.53 AO5 pretty soon.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Imagine if they learn to be colour neutral, advanced F2L techniques and stuff like WV. They'd probably be sub 6.5. Meanwhile I'm struggling to be sub 10. And I'm guessing Han could beat Felik's 5.53 AO5 pretty soon.

The Jayden post about CN speculates that CN might even create pausing. One thing about these new high tps cubers is that part of their high tps is virtually no pausing. So advanced algsets might not be worth simply ironing out slight lookahead mistakes

edit: here we go again

This kid is literally not old enough to have started cubing more than a year ago.

Last edited:

Eric Zhou

He started when he was 4 and a half years old according to the interview from Gan I think (He said he cubed about 1 and a half years) . So he's been cubing for about 2 years now. And I'm not even sub 10 after 2 and a half years. How do you think they got so fast? Just practicing and untimed solving for 5 years?

Last edited:

rubik2005

Kids learn skills faster is the best explanation I have. And cubing is taught in preschools apparently while most other countries kids have to look it up themselves. Combined with a huge population, we're bound to see prodigies popping up.
I think it's similar with learning a new language. When you're a baby and a kid, the first 7 years are crucial for learning the language(s) you're going to speak, and during this time it's much easier than having to learn a new language later in the future.

Similarly, when it comes to cubing, maybe they grasp certain concepts much quicker or learn at a faster pace? Nevertheless, its quite impressive.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
probs cuz they can practice 2-5 hours a day because they have a lot of free time? I don't think they use advanced techniques so not too many concepts.
Practice helps but most young people even highschoolers can find 2 hours to practice something they are really into.
I think I said this already but there is also the factor that nowadays cubes are much better and there is much more widespread knowledge about good algs and techniques with channels like CubeSkills and JPerm.
I'm still gonna chalk the rapid improvement up to being very young and natural talent (with lots of practice).