• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Meyer Thread (4x4 Reduction Sub-Method)

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
This method is amazing! Previously I used Hoya, but the more I use Meyer the better I like it.
I also got my new 4x4 and outperformed all my previous 4x4 solves, doing an average of 1:17.34 (with a 1:07.93 single best). I was around 1:20 - 1:40 previously.
So, thanks!

Great to have another convert! Let's prove that this method can and will be fast

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Has anyone tested this for 5x5 and above? My 4x4 is broken right now :(
Edge pairing is horrible and 3x3 stage is also very bad. This method is great for 4x4 but I can't see it being useful for bigger cubes.

Edit: just thought of how to do edge pairing better (don't use freeslice!), will do another solve which will hopefully not be 3 minutes.

E2: 3:07 down from 3:16, so no

Last edited:

WayneMigraine

WCA
2015BUCK01
Edge pairing is horrible and 3x3 stage is also very bad. This method is great for 4x4 but I can't see it being useful for bigger cubes.

Edit: just thought of how to do edge pairing better (don't use freeslice!), will do another solve which will hopefully not be 3 minutes.

E2: 3:07 down from 3:16, so no

I think Richard Meyer uses something like Meyer on 5x5? I found a video here where I think he builds a Roux block, then does centers and edge pairing, then finishes the solve.

tukra

I'm playing around with shadowslice Meyer. I like that more of the solve is direct. I'm wondering how people like to pair edges for this. I'm doing 1-3-3 but is there something better? Also what's a good way to deal with 2 edges left? What I'm doing is pretty slow (r l D2 l' U2 l D2 l' U2 r' and variants). I don't see any way to do the flipping thing reduction first solvers do without disturbing the solved blocks.

tukra

Found 2 pair edge flip works between UF and UB w/o messing up FB and 2/3SB.
x' z' Uw' R U R' F R' F' R u

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm playing around with shadowslice Meyer. I like that more of the solve is direct. I'm wondering how people like to pair edges for this. I'm doing 1-3-3 but is there something better? Also what's a good way to deal with 2 edges left? What I'm doing is pretty slow (r l D2 l' U2 l D2 l' U2 r' and variants). I don't see any way to do the flipping thing reduction first solvers do without disturbing the solved blocks.

well I pretty much do 1-3-3 as well to pair edges. For 2 edges left I do l U' F R' U' F' l' U' F' or the mirror

dboeren

I'm new to 4x4s, what is 1-3-3? I tried looking on the wiki but could't find this notation. I'm using Roux for 3x3 (and the 3x3 stage of my 4x4) so Meyer seems a natural thing to check out.

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm new to 4x4s, what is 1-3-3? I tried looking on the wiki but could't find this notation. I'm using Roux for 3x3 (and the 3x3 stage of my 4x4) so Meyer seems a natural thing to check out.

if you want to use shadowslice meyer, you must use 1-3-3. You pair 1 edge, then 3, and 3 again. if you want to use normal meyer, you can use 3-2-3, which is much faster. also, there are many 3-2-3 tutorials and stuff.

dboeren

Thanks, I'll check out those tutorials. I expect it's probably going to be easier to start with vanilla Meyer (which will be more documented) before trying the shadowslice variant.

tukra

I'm new to 4x4s, what is 1-3-3?

I learned pairing from Yau videos since the process is basically the same. Cyoubx has a good one. In Meyer you're pairing on the M slice with your FB on the left vs Yau where you pair on the E slice with the cross on the bottom. So it's just a different orientation.

For regular Meyer you have 3 edges paired from the FB. Make one more pair naively and put it at UL. Now there are 8 left and you pair just like Yau. You can use 3-2-3 or 6-2 pairing. See videos.

For shadowslice you have 5 edges complete leaving 7 unpaired. I pair one edge, put it at UL. Then 3-3 just like the first and last sets of Yau 3-2-3.

Last edited:

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
I can't figure out how to get that to work. alg.cubing

it pairs edges in UF and UB but they must be in the same orientation (eg, both white up)

Or you could just look up the algs from Stadler which are probably more efficient for this case.

Also, more documented? I proposed the variant a whole month ago! Meyer only proposed his in 2008. ;-P

Last edited:

tukra

it pairs edges in UF and UB but they must be in the same orientation

Sorry if I'm being daft but when I put that alg into alg.cubing.net it doesn't look like the right thing. It changes 3 pairs, leaves some centers split and doesn't preserve the roux blocks. Maybe I made a mistake in transferring the notation but I can't tell what's wrong. Thanks for any help.

See: https://alg.cubing.net/