• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Layer by Layer Podcast

Andrew Nathenson and I have been doing a cubing podcast for a couple years now, so I figured I'd start a thread here too for when we post new episodes of the podcast! You're welcome to discuss episodes here, but we also have an official subreddit for discussing each episode linked below. You can click the logo above to see our Anchor page, which shows all the podcasting apps that we're listed on.

Latest: Episode 42 - The Game Show Featuring Feliks Zemdegs and Jayden McNeill!
Subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/layerbylayer/
When's the next episode? You have 13 world records to talk about!

White KB

Premium Member
WCA
2019BRUC01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
When's the next episode? You have 13 world records to talk about!
I haven't gotten caught up to that, but I have watched listened to the first 30 episodes, and now that you say it I realize they uploaded their last episode on April 26th. Maybe they have a hint as to explaining this hiatus in the episode audio.

White KB

Premium Member
WCA
2019BRUC01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
1. What do you mean?
2. What's a hiatus?
1. I mean if you listen to this episode, you might find a clue as to why they haven't uploaded for a while.
2. According to Google Dictionary, hiatus as a noun means "a pause or gap in a sequence, series, or process." Typically a hiatus refers to a gap in a show or book series, e.g. if you just finished reading all the books in The Inheritance Games (there are two out of three published so far) and are waiting for the third one to be published. If you particularly like a series, a hiatus can be a long, drawn-out experience.

1. I mean if you listen to this episode, you might find a clue as to why they haven't uploaded for a while.
2. According to Google Dictionary, hiatus as a noun means "a pause or gap in a sequence, series, or process." Typically a hiatus refers to a gap in a show or book series, e.g. if you just finished reading all the books in The Inheritance Games (there are two out of three published so far) and are waiting for the third one to be published. If you particularly like a series, a hiatus can be a long, drawn-out experience.
I've listened to it five times. What's the clue?

But I'm not warmed up, so...

Andrew Nathenson and I have been doing a cubing podcast for a couple years now, so I figured I'd start a thread here too for when we post new episodes of the podcast! You're welcome to discuss episodes here, but we also have an official subreddit for discussing each episode linked below. You can click the logo above to see our Anchor page, which shows all the podcasting apps that we're listed on.

Latest: Episode 42 - The Game Show Featuring Feliks Zemdegs and Jayden McNeill!
Subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/layerbylayer/
Can you bring back reg of the day?

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
I'm currently re-listening to all of the episodes, and I am currently on episode 14, where you talk about how cubers enjoy celebrating beating their own accomplishments, and other cubers do a great job of celebrating other people's personal accomplishments as well. Kit and Andrew were talking about the running community, and how running may or may not have that same atmosphere, so I figured that I would share a little bit.

I got done with my cross-country season a couple months ago, and I agree with Kit when he says that cross-country has more of a sense of celebrating personal achievements than track & field does, although at my school, both do a very good job. I have the same coach for CC as well as track, and she does an amazing job of creating an amazing team atmosphere, and celebrating everybody's accomplishments. The practice after a meet for CC or track, she reads a list of everybody's PRs, and it feels really good to have that recognition of your achievement.

As far as a sport overall, I think that track and field as well as swimming are very similar to cubing in that they have a large variety of events, and people often specialize in certain ones. I am not a swimmer, but for example, in track, I specialize in the 400, high jump, and triple jump. In cubing, you could compare that to specializing in 4x4, pyraminx, and skewb. The 400 is a short/middle distance event, similar to 4x4, and high jump and triple jump are field events that are often regarded as "side events," similar to how pyra, mega, skewb, square-1, and clock are considered side events in cubing. (Running blindfolded or in the fewest strides would be tough, though. ;) )

If any other runners have anything to add, I would love to hear it!

WCA
2023POLL02
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm currently re-listening to all of the episodes, and I am currently on episode 14, where you talk about how cubers enjoy celebrating beating their own accomplishments, and other cubers do a great job of celebrating other people's personal accomplishments as well. Kit and Andrew were talking about the running community, and how running may or may not have that same atmosphere, so I figured that I would share a little bit.

I got done with my cross-country season a couple months ago, and I agree with Kit when he says that cross-country has more of a sense of celebrating personal achievements than track & field does, although at my school, both do a very good job. I have the same coach for CC as well as track, and she does an amazing job of creating an amazing team atmosphere, and celebrating everybody's accomplishments. The practice after a meet for CC or track, she reads a list of everybody's PRs, and it feels really good to have that recognition of your achievement.

As far as a sport overall, I think that track and field as well as swimming are very similar to cubing in that they have a large variety of events, and people often specialize in certain ones. I am not a swimmer, but for example, in track, I specialize in the 400, high jump, and triple jump. In cubing, you could compare that to specializing in 4x4, pyraminx, and skewb. The 400 is a short/middle distance event, similar to 4x4, and high jump and triple jump are field events that are often regarded as "side events," similar to how pyra, mega, skewb, square-1, and clock are considered side events in cubing. (Running blindfolded or in the fewest strides would be tough, though. ;) )

If any other runners have anything to add, I would love to hear it!
I agree there is a lot of similarities between cubing and running are pretty similar, from long distance to sprinting to jumping and stuff which are like the fmc of cubing. Also I really need more episodes for kit and Andrew to talk in my ear again

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
@Kit Clement do you guys plan on posting again bc I can see andrews still alive bc of his other podcast. Did he quit cubing?
We both still cube a bit, but a lot less than we did pre-COVID. I don't want to declare the podcast dead or anything, but we also don't have any plans to record anything in the near future.

WCA
2023POLL02
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
In episode 40 that I was just listening to you guys said that you didn’t post for 4 months because you wanted to space out for topics to arise. I mean it’s been a year and max set a billion world records and tymon and him keep battling and comps started again so there is content.

• Meh
Reactions: LBr
A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11
In episode 40 that I was just listening to you guys said that you didn’t post for 4 months because you wanted to space out for topics to arise. I mean it’s been a year and max set a billion world records and tymon and him keep battling and comps started again so there is content.
Once you become older your hobbies, interests, and availability change, believe it or not. If they don't have the interest to create more content, we should respect the decision instead of bugging them constantly. Kit and Andrew are under no obligation to continue the podcast, they've already done a great job with the hour of content they've put out. Life happens and life changes. What they once did they may no longer wish to do, or perhaps have not the time.

There are plenty of other cubing podcasts out there (my personal recommendation is the Methodical Cubing podcast) and there are plenty of other topics you can listen to too! If you aren't satisfied with the current cubing podcast episodes, consider exploring other interests. My three biggest interests are "Weird Al" Yankovic, Origami, and cubing. I've been drifting away from cubing and the only cubing podcast I really enjoy is the Methodical Cubing because I love theory and methods. I've yet to explore Origami podcasts as I've just recently come back from a two-year hiatus which leaves with the final, and my biggest interest, Weird Al. There are a ton of great Weird Al podcasts with tons of episodes. Best of all, a lot of them are active which means you get a constant stream of new content.

If you still insist on only listening to cubing podcasts, consider making your own, encourage others to start their own, and whatever you do, don't listen to the Woaj podcast.