• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The cubing argument thread

CubeRed

The RS3M is more like a cube for intermediates, not for absolute beginners. Of course they can choose it if they want to, but if you can't understand the mechanics of the cube, then there's literally no point in buying the RS3M. MoYu uses this system in all of their cubes, and if you love MoYu and want all of their cubes, then yes, go for the RS3M, because it's literally the same as the Worms but cheaper.
I totally agree to this. I think it is a bit confusing as for a beginner to understand (Dual spring tensioning and all that) and would really like Moyu to release a "beginner cube". It's good, but not as a first cube.

YouTube
Visit Channel
I totally agree to this. I think it is a bit confusing as for a beginner to understand (Dual spring tensioning and all that) and would really like Moyu to release a "beginner cube". It's good, but not as a first cube.
Moyu already has a series of "true" beginner cubes, the Meilongs. Those are also really good from what I hear, espeacially the Meilong 3M. In fact, some cubers like it more than the RS3M! The Meilong Magnetics should be the beginner line, RS the experimentation/intermediate line and the worms the advanced line of cubes.

doozza

Recently I've been noticing this too. The spring noise is barely noticeable now, but when I first got it... it was unbearable. No really. I only understood the tensioning system after J Perm's vid on the RS3M 2020.
I think the main issue a lot of beginners have is not understanding the mechanics of the puzzle. And I know that is true, based on my experience.
<...>
The RS3M is more like a cube for intermediates, not for absolute beginners. Of course they can choose it if they want to, but if you can't understand the mechanics of the cube, then there's literally no point in buying the RS3M. MoYu uses this system in all of their cubes, and if you love MoYu and want all of their cubes, then yes, go for the RS3M, because it's literally the same as the Worms but cheaper.

TL;DR: The RS3M is a good cube, but not for absolute beginners.
Total noob here with a beginner's perspective. I've been cubing for less than a month on RS3M 2020 with no prior experience with other cubes, except a dirt-cheap abomination from 2003 that I assembled once never to touch it again. My current PB is around 2½ min using roux with only 2 algs, other than that just intuitive, so you get the idea about my speed and dexterity.

I've searched this forum, youtube and user reviews on online stores for a good beginner's cube. The general consensus was 'RS3M 2020 is a great budget cube, on par with others three times its price'. And of course speedcubers on youtube could perform their fast tricks on it quite confidently and impressively.

After disassembling, studying the internals, lubing and setting it up following cyoubx's recommendations, it did enjoy it quite a lot at first. Although I couldn't turn faces in a fast flow, I did try to use fast motions whenever possible. And I thought that overshoots or undershoots (is that a word?) were the problem of my control rather than cube's performance. So I tweaked it around a couple times, but still couldn't get a confident controllable feel.

My general complaints as a beginner in year 2021 towards RS3M 2020 are:
1) it is quite heavy, and requires significant force to get a side moving
2) once the side moves, it can easily overshoot, because
3) magnets are weak
4) in order to control it and prevent unwanted moves, I have to grab more pieces
5) the inside and outside plastic is the same material. For tactility (outside) if feels ok, but for friction it feels cheap
6) yes, one can mod the cube to get stronger magnets, but it only adds more weight to the puzzle
7) high expectations play a trick on potential buyer

Now, I understand that speedcubers from 2010 had much worse cubes, and that practice makes perfect. And don't get me wrong, it is light-years ahead of my cube from 2003. Yet still I feel like I am fighting the cube more than enjoying it. Bear in mind that I have only around 40 minutes a day to practice, mostly on the subway, so I don't have the hours to develop dexterity and get used to controlling this specific cube. So I would prefer a cube that helps me instead of standing in my way and to spend that time holding a more quality product, that doesn't feel as cheap.

Regarding the cheap feel: it is a budget cube, what did I expect? But yeah, being a total beginner, I am ready to pay three times more to get a better feeling product, even though I perform terribly at the moment. But I will enjoy learning, at least I hope so. I've ordered a Dayan Tengyun V2, which will hopefully be more enjoyable for me. Once I get it and have some time to compare the two, I expect to come back with more observations on RS3M vs a more expensive alternative as a beginner's cube. As of now (not having held other speedcubes), I consider it to be massively overhyped thus generating false expectations: although it may perform on a semi-pro level (sub15), it doesn't feel like a semi-pro product. It is a budget cube.

My solution is:

-Start of with something simple like a QiYi MS or Warrior or the YLM until you reach Sub 30.
-Get a new cube like the RS3M but preferably within 20 dollars until sub 15.
-Get a new flagship when you get to sub 10, and expand your collection from there.

This is where I beg to differ. I think after reaching sub 30, one can buy a flagship. Instead of buying two cubes (performance cube for sub 30 to sub 15, flagship for sub 15 to sub 10), why not just buy a flagship in the first place, and enjoy the ride from the beginning, plus save the money that would be spent on a performance cube? =)

My first post here, so hi everybody! Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is where I beg to differ. I think after reaching sub 30, one can buy a flagship. Instead of buying two cubes (performance cube for sub 30 to sub 15, flagship for sub 15 to sub 10), why not just buy a flagship in the first place, and enjoy the ride from the beginning, plus save the money that would be spent on a performance cube? =)
It actually depends on the type of cuber. If you think you won't be needing a new cube after every major milestone, then yeah, go for the flagship. Some cubers buy a flagship when they're sub 30. Fast forward a bit, and you're sub 10. Your old flagship is slow, but you can manage. There are already better cubes with new mechanics and new features are already out and your "flagship" is considered obsolete in the community. See where I'm going with this? Flagships are generally for faster cubers, because:

-They're faster.
-They have more features.
-They have a lot of instructions.
-They improve on certain aspects which might seem unnecessary to a beginner.

Yes, you can buy a flagship if you want. But this is a scenario I thought of:

You have just gotten to sub 30 with your Guhong V4 M. So you decide to buy a new cube, to aid you in getting faster. You buy the Zhanchi Pro M. Fast forward a few months, and you see that your turning style doesn't suit the cube. You constantly get sub 40 solves, all because it feels slow (based on your expectations). So you decide to give Dayan another chance, and buy a Tengyun V2 M. Again, you notice the same thing. It's slow and blocky (for your expectations). At this point, you give up and buy a budget cube, for instance a QiYi MS, because you think the YJMoYuMFJSCubingClassroomRS3M2020+ is overhyped and overrated, following the same thinking process like a few people you know. You get the QiYi MS, and woah. You're getting Sub 26 solves because of the fact that QiYi cubes suit your turning style the most, and have great speed as compared to a Dayan cube (in your opinion).

The premise of this scenario is that spending 30 bucks on a cube which might not suit your turning style is pointless, when you might find a cube which is 5 bucks feeling better for you. In that scenario, you spent around 85 dollars before getting the cube you wanted. Sure, you could never know how it feels until you try it, but you should always consult multiple reviews then buy a cube.

The point I want to emphasize on is: "Your flagship now, might be considered obsolete in the future." This means the best cube now could be the worst after 2 years, when new innovations have revolutionized the cubing world.

kubesolver

Premium Member
Its just that I do not want people wasting their time with DF buffer
Moving the argument here to not flood a thread about bld tool.

I find your attitude very arrogant.

To summarize: You want to reduce the amount of knowledge available online to prevent people from doing something they want to do because you find it a waste of time.

So please apply this logic to yourself.

From a large perspective cubing at all is a waste of time.
" please take all cubing websites and wca down. I just don't want people to waste their time"

And even if you can argue that there are good reasons to speed cube, I don't think you can reasonably defend learning 5 style as not but being waste of time.

What would your reaction be if someone posted repeatedly:
"Mods please remove all threads about 5 style. I don't want someone to spot it and waste their time."

Remember we are all here (or at least I'm here) because I like wasting my time a particular way. Not because it's objectively good and productive way to spend time.

WCA
2019RAMI14
YouTube
Visit Channel
Moyu already has a series of "true" beginner cubes, the Meilongs. Those are also really good from what I hear, espeacially the Meilong 3M. In fact, some cubers like it more than the RS3M! The Meilong Magnetics should be the beginner line, RS the experimentation/intermediate line and the worms the advanced line of cubes.
i switched from the yulong v2 m to the meilong m and the meilong is amazing. i have tried the RS3M and from what it felt, i feel that the meilong is just a faster, lighter and cheaper RS3M, which I like a lot. the magnet strength is perfect, you'll only notice the magnets if u tried to feel them (aka. turning slow) and they really do their job. i dont overshoot often on this compared to the yulong v2 m, where the magnets are a bit too light.

prolly gonna use the meilong till like sub-8 lol (im sub-16 rn)