• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The cubing argument thread

CubeRed

Well, all I'm saying is, we'd better enjoy it while we can. Once maglev tech becomes cheap enough, they may stop manufacturing spring-based cubes entirely (except the good ol' Rubik's brand, but nobody cares about that).
Imagine if springed cubes become like a "collectors item". I don't think that will happen in the near future though. I don't mind spring noise as you can't really hear it unless your turning very slowly. Wear down can be prevented if you lube your core.

7ombie

You can always add springs to a maglev cube, if you really miss that little ting ta ting crang sound.

The weird thing is, I could probably handle it, if every face made the same noise, but it's always just (the blue) one.

7ombie

You don't add stuff because it's cheaper and lighter though, else you'd not add magnets to the pieces either. You do what you need to do to sell more cubes, so the community will decide. The companies will make more of what sells.

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
You don't add stuff because it's cheaper and lighter though, else you'd not add magnets to the pieces either. You do what you need to do to sell more cubes, so the community will decide. The companies will make more of what sells.
What if cheaper and lighter is what sells?!?

Regarding the magnet comment: Not exactly, There was quite a bit of conversation in the community years ago about minimizing magnet weight when they were first introduced; it’s a major reason why separation instead of just SIZE has become a way of controlling strength. Adding them was obviously stilled considered beneficial given the weight increase.

7ombie

> What if cheaper and lighter is what sells?!? -- @EngiNerdBrian

Then they make more of that. But not because it's cheaper or lighter, just because companies generally make what wholesalers buy, and wholesalers order what retailers buy, and retailers try hard to only buy what they can sell, which is ultimately just whatever the community add to their carts.

> Conversely, you can always add maglev to a springed cube. -- @zzoomer

Is this universally true? I'm not being pedantic. It's a valid point either way. I'm genuinely asking if any tensioning systems would prevent the mod somehow, as there are not many cubes that ship with maglev currently, so it'd be nice to have more options (though I do really like both of the MoYo options). I'm especially interested in the GAN 356 RS as a high quality cube that is cheap (£11.59 (~$15.50) from China), that I can magnetize from scratch. The springs looked too small in the pictures to swap in maglev though. Has anyone tried this?

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
> What if cheaper and lighter is what sells?!? -- @EngiNerdBrian

Then they make more of that. But not because it's cheaper or lighter, just because companies generally make what wholesalers buy, and wholesalers order what retailers buy, and retailers try hard to only buy what they can sell, which is ultimately just whatever the community add to their carts.
I see what you’re trying yo say but you are talking in circles my friend.