• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The connections between cubing and speedrunning

Matt11111

WCA
2014PINN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think it checks out, speedcubing and speedrunning both require a similar set of skills. I've been doing videos about both topics for a while because I figured if people are interested in one, they might be a fan of the other. Some people just like doing stuff fast so it makes sense that there'd be some overlap

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think the biggest difference is that speedrunning is usually more deterministic, depending on the game of course. Most games have a fixed world or group of levels or whatever that you already know the fastest way to get through ahead of time. I speedrun Celeste, which notably has absolutely zero RNG, so it's all about your strats and execution. Speedcubing more so requires you to react to different situations. But I have seen lots of cubers that are also speedrunners, and I'm even part of a discord server for cubers who speedrun Super Mario Odyssey, which has like 15 or so members.

EvanCuber

I Speedrun Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario World Advance 2. I just like it because I like doing anything that is timed, kind of like cubing

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
A lot of BLDers are into speedrunning. Shivam, Graham and Scalpel come to my mind.

Although I am a BLDer, I don't enjoy doing speedrunning as much as watching it.

Matt11111

WCA
2014PINN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh yeah, resetting is another thing I completely forgot about. In cubing, it's rare for me to stop a solve because it's bad. That's not the case with speedrunning. Speedrunning definitely focuses more on getting a PB run and not on consistency. There aren't any averages of 5 or anything.
Well I mean, you kinda have to be willing to reset a speedrun because of how much longer they can take. Super Mario Odyssey, just as an example, takes about an hour, and if I were to run it I'm not about to fall several minutes behind and keep it going when I know I can do way better. Cubing uses averages mostly because they can, most events range from a few seconds to a few minutes, so you're able to get a lot of solves done in the same amount of time it would take to speedrun a game. So it's usually not gonna be worth your time to find out how quickly you can beat a game on average. Most people care about their single fastest time anyway

Last edited:

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
So it's usually not gonna be worth your time to find out how quickly you can beat a game on average. Most people care about their single fastest time anyway
But if you're trying to break a really fast speedrun record, if you can subdivide the run into sections (identify the timestamps for you to arrive at the first fourth of the distance, 2nd fourth, etc.), then it may be useful for you to know (on average) how much time passes for you to pass that certain fourth of the run. That way you can decide if you want to reset the run or not.

But I guess it depends on how hard the WR actually is to beat (or how hard it is to beat it by the margin that you want to beat it by so that it makes it really hard for someone else to beat it later).

Matt11111

WCA
2014PINN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
But if you're trying to break a really fast speedrun record, if you can subdivide the run into sections (identify the timestamps for you to arrive at the first fourth of the distance, 2nd fourth, etc.), then it may be useful for you to know (on average) how much time passes for you to pass that certain fourth of the run. That way you can decide if you want to reset the run or not.

But I guess it depends on how hard the WR actually is to beat (or how hard it is to beat it by the margin that you want to beat it by so that it makes it really hard for someone else to beat it later).
Yea completing a few runs is good for finding out what your splits generally are, but I think it's gonna vary a lot from runner to runner how often they want to reset.