• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The angstrom temporus thread.

Do you think $75 is worth it?

• Total voters

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
I ordered around a half hour in, and I didn't get an email today, I have been So anxious to get it and I just want it to come
just be patient and focus on doing your current events for now. I had actually forgotten about it when I got the email, and I was like what the heck is shipping lol

WCA
2017BRYA06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Here is my review.
The pins feel nice, and I love the fact that they are internal magnets, not external. The 3d printed casing is very nice and keeps it from falling over. The clear casing is a lot better than the stock lingao, but does flex a bit. Now for the downsides, its very slow, I've been breaking it in all day and it hasn't gotten much faster, I've been getting 9's and 10's when I average 4-5, also it is hard to get apart, you need to use a 3mm metal rod to hammer the pins out, but to be fair this is much easier than opening a stock lingao. This may not be worth $75, but with all of the work and research Chris has been/is currently doing to the puzzle, I think thats where the price comes from.

Reactions: qwr

ElephantCuber

WCA
2017BREE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Here is my review.
The pins feel nice, and I love the fact that they are internal magnets, not external. The 3d printed casing is very nice and keeps it from falling over. The clear casing is a lot better than the stock lingao, but does flex a bit. Now for the downsides, its very slow, I've been breaking it in all day and it hasn't gotten much faster, I've been getting 9's and 10's when I average 4-5, also it is hard to get apart, you need to use a 3mm metal rod to hammer the pins out, but to be fair this is much easier than opening a stock lingao. This may not be worth $75, but with all of the work and research Chris has been/is currently doing to the puzzle, I think thats where the price comes from.
for me it has been really fat, I normally average 7.5 and I have been getting all sub 7 averages

Hazel

Premium Member
Here is my review.
Do you think it needs more breaking in, or is that just how it is?

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
I've done about 100 solves and mine has become a lot faster than out of the box, but it is still quite slow. Stanley told me that it takes a LOT of break in time but then will get very fast and smooth

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
So I actually bought two of the clocks for a few reasons, and one of them was to compare the consistency between production since this is TheCubicle's first clock so figured the lubing would maybe be weird, and because of how much 3D printing was used. Also, it would give a contingency clock in case something did go wrong. Here's what I noticed:

1. I'm very glad I did get two clocks. The 3D printed frame on one of the clocks came broken out of the box. I have contacted support, so we will see what happens from there. I originally wasn't going to mention this until support contacted me back, but I feel like it is actually important to mention now. This is obviously pretty disappointing from a $75 puzzle. Granted, this could obviously have happened during shipping, but I would think both clocks would have been damaged if that's the case since they wrap the clocks in bubble wrap in their box, and then wrap more bubble wrap around the box itself.

2. The lubing is actually pretty inconsistent between the two clocks, and even on the two sides of one clock. The clock with the broken frame was actually noticeably faster and felt very consistent on both sides, while the other clock was slower, and the black side was way more gummy than the white side which is weird. It has sped up quite a bit though, and I feel like it will speed up more.

I'm still going to wait to use the clock for a few days before giving a full review, but as things stand now, I can't recommend the clock because of how inconsistent the clocks are at that price point.

WCA
2017BRYA06
YouTube
Visit Channel
after taking apart mine, here is what I found. The engineering Chris did to the pins is awesome! No glue anywhere, everything is held in place with magnets and slots in pieces so no magnets falling off. Taking it apart was difficult, and one of the outer shells was broken in the process, but this isn't a big deal for me because I have a 3d printer and know how to use CAD, so I will just remake them, but not everyone can do that, I'll probably redesign them to make it easier to take apart in the future. It was lubed, so a bit more break in would have sped it up.

OreKehStrah

YouTube
Visit Channel
after taking apart mine, here is what I found. The engineering Chris did to the pins is awesome! No glue anywhere, everything is held in place with magnets and slots in pieces so no magnets falling off. Taking it apart was difficult, and one of the outer shells was broken in the process, but this isn't a big deal for me because I have a 3d printer and know how to use CAD, so I will just remake them, but not everyone can do that, I'll probably redesign them to make it easier to take apart in the future. It was lubed, so a bit more break in would have sped it up.
I'm going to edit in some pics in a sec.
Do you think I could take the main housing out of the 3D printed shell and acrylic, and put it in the clear shell of a normal clock?