• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Tap Timer - The Next Best Speed Solving App for Android

Bunyanderman

WCA
2010SMIT01
Hey everyone, you may or may not have noticed a new speed solving app in development in this forum post over the past two weeks.

Today I've decided to release it to both the Google Play Store as well as the Amazon App Store for free. (If searching from the market, it's pretty far down the list)

Video Overview

Some of the features include:
Code:
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]Minimalist speed solving timer - keep track of all your solve times[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]Support for the following WCA puzzles:[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]2x2 - 7x7, Clock, Megaminx, Pyraminx, (Square-1 Coming Soon)[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]Detailed information on each solve, including time of completion, scramble, and duration accurate up to .001 seconds[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]Option to use the accelerometer: vibrations cause the timer to stop (adjustable sensitivity)[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]Current average of 5, 12, 50, 100, 1000, 10000[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]Interactive graphs showing solves over time per puzzle[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]Optional inspection time mode: 15 second countdown, tap to start early[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]Customizable scramble lengths can be configured for each puzzle[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]Configure timer precision from 1.0 down to .001[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]Enable/Disable animated timer
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Keep in mind, this is an early release, so any and all suggestions are welcome. I'd love to keep supporting this application for as long as there is interest in it.

So, try it out. What have you got to lose? :)

Update available later tonight, fixed some minor bugs, added new features(Adjustable font size of timer and scramble, press and hold option to start, delete last time problem, Graph bugs, etc.)
Still working on a bug when timer exceeds 6 minutes 1 hour is added to timer.
Any other bugs you want me to fix tonight? (9/10/13)

Last edited:

kunparekh18

WCA
2013PARE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you added WCA notation for 4x4-7x7 and Pyra, and also somehow added the facility to export times and scrambles to a csv it would become my main timer. Just used it, its fantastic! Good job.

Bunyanderman

WCA
2010SMIT01
If you added WCA notation for 4x4-7x7 and Pyra, and also somehow added the facility to export times and scrambles to a csv it would become my main timer. Just used it, its fantastic! Good job.

If I am not mistaken, WCA notation would be scrambles? If so Scrambles are supported for every puzzle excluding Square-1. You can export Via email, from there you can put into csv formatting.

Wassili

WCA
2013KORO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
1. When I want to put a 4x4 scramble for example, I click "Save Changes" and return to the timer screen, however it still shows a 3x3 scramble
2. Logo has a completely wrong color scheme :(
3. ADS!

Otherwise best current android timer :D

Jakube

WCA
2011KOGL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice timer, some suggestions:
* Show best avg5, best avg12, ...
* I don't like way, starting a solve works. It would be better if there is a signal, if the timer is ready, like the (red-green phase of other timers): I had a few false starts with this timer.

Also: clicking twice at the "remove the last solve" button, doesn't work.

Bunyanderman

WCA
2010SMIT01
1. When I want to put a 4x4 scramble for example, I click "Save Changes" and return to the timer screen, however it still shows a 3x3 scramble
2. Logo has a completely wrong color scheme :(
3. ADS!

Otherwise best current android timer :D

Hi Wassili,

When selecting a puzzle on the settings page, this will simply give you the option to change the scramble length. In order to change the puzzle on the timer page, click the spinner on the top left (it's hard to see right now, check the screenshots in the market)

The logo is a quick fix for now, I'm thinking of a simple vector icon in a future update (I didn't even notice the colors :p)

Soon I'll publish an ad free version for a little kickback. (But the ads are small!)

"Nice timer, some suggestions:
* Show best avg5, best avg12, ..."
This has been added to the feature list, thank you!
* I don't like way, starting a solve works. It would be better if there is a signal, if the timer is ready, like the (red-green phase of other timers): I had a few false starts with this timer.
Hmm, you're right. I've been thinking of adding some sort of visual feedback for timer being ready. Expect something in the next update.
Also: clicking twice at the "remove the last solve" button, doesn't work.
When you remove last time the first time, there is now no last time to remove, hence the button not working.(Go to the times page to delete older times by long clicking)

Last edited by a moderator:

Thenio

WCA
2012WODA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There is no new Clock notation 2013 but Clock's speedcuber hope that in the future there will be (this would be first timer with new notation which is available on TNoodle WCA Scrambler)
Please :rolleyes:

Bunyanderman

WCA
2010SMIT01
There is no new Clock notation 2013 but Clock's speedcuber hope that in the future there will be (this would be first timer with new notation which is available on TNoodle WCA Scrambler)
Please :rolleyes:

The clock scramble is very similar to the way qq timer does it, I'm not too sure what you're asking.

Bunyanderman

WCA
2010SMIT01
New notation seems as
Example scramble:
UR3- DR5+ DL1+ UL5-
U3+ R0+ D4+ L1+
ALL1- y2 U3+ R2-
D1+ L0+ ALL3- UR UL
Would you like me too implement that new scramble, or stick with what I Have?
To any one and everyone that helps the add-free version will be free to those who want it :)

Do you know by chance a website with a clear explanation of the new clock scrambles?(I don't personally know clock scrambles so im a noob;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jakube

WCA
2011KOGL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Do you know by chance a website with a clear explanation of the new clock scrambles?(I don't personally know clock scrambles so im a noob;)
The new notation looks a bit confusing, but it is actually really simply. I'll explain the example from above:

Example scramble:
UR3- DR5+ DL1+ UL5-
U3+ R0+ D4+ L1+
ALL1- y2 U3+ R2-
D1+ L0+ ALL3- UR UL

Each "move" of the scramble is made up of 2 parts. The first tells you, which pins are up, and the second tells you, in which direction you have to turn.
So "UR3-" means, you push the top-right pin up and turn it 3 hours anti-clockwise. This is equivalent to
Code:
dU u3'
dd

Then "DR5+", you push the last pin UR in and DR up and turn 5 hours clockwise.
Code:
dd u5
dU

And so on, "U3+" mean you push the two top pins up:
Code:
UU u3
dd

"ALL1-": you push all pins up
Code:
UU u1'
UU

and "y2" you turn around the puzzle so that twelve is still on top.

But acually I would like to have the concise notation from http://www.qqtimer.net/. It is the same as Jaaps-notation, but you don't show the UUdd stuff. Therefore it is really short: (4, -5) / (-5, 0) / (0, 3) / (3, -5) / (-4) / (-1) / (1) / (4) / (-1) / (-2) / ddUd