• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Super Duper Ultra Mega Uber Fridrich Training Outline

slinky773

WCA
2014LEEY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
AKA the supercalifragilisticexpialidocious training method or Ein Über Training Method.

Disclaimer: This may or may not be way too much for any normal person. Input on the Super Duper Ultra Mega Uber Fridrich Training Method would be helpful.

Unfortunately, I don't have any cuber friends, so I dunno how this works for other people. I'll be able to test sometime with other people, though, so stay tuned.

Prerequisites to this training method is at least sub 30 and learned F2L and full PLL.

Anyway, here goes:

The goal of this training is to get an average solve to look like Faz's 8/7/6/5 second solves. These are the main priorities:

1. Cross. Goal is to do this step in less than 1 second. In inspection, you must plan out the entire cross and be able to do all of the moves in less than 1 second. Furthermore, you must either do an X-Cross with it or track a pair for F2L. If you do an X-Cross, you must also track another pair for instant insertion after the cross.

2. F2L. Goal is to do this step in less than 4 seconds, 3 seconds if you're very dedicated. While inserting the pair tracked from the cross, track the next 2 pairs. That well may be impossible, but with months of training I believe it's possible. This is how you will do the F2L in less than 4 or 3 seconds.

3. OLL: full OLL. Drill all of them until you can sub 2 every OLL, and then sub 1 every OLL.

4. PLL: full PLL. Drill all of them until you can sub 2 every PLL, and then sub 1 every PLL. This one is easier than OLL, since there's only 21, so it shouldn't take that much time. I'd say to prioritize OLL over PLL, once you get to the stage where drilling every algorithm to sub 2 is necessary.

I believe this list of priorities is in the order in which you should improve them. First improve your cross, then F2L, then OLL, then PLL. Then go back to the cross, then repeat the cycle. That is how you will become the NEXT FELIKS!
This is easier said than done. :p

1st month:
Every day for the first month, you will do (50 BLD crosses + 10 Ao12 Cross + First Pair) * 4 every day. And if you find that in a day, you happen to have time left, make it (50 BLD crosses + 10 Ao12 Cross + First Pair) * 8.
If your Ao12 Cross + First Pair starts to get close to sub 3, continue to the next month's training.

2nd Month:
Prerequisite: Sub 3.5 Ao12 Cross + First Pair.
This month, you will do turbo tracking, like in here Perform with a metronome. Idealized speed for turbo tracking for a master is 600 BPM, but most metronomes don't go there, so practice until you get to about 240 BPM. Every day you should also be doing (50 BLD F2L (put on a blindfold during execution of each pair) + 10 Ao12 F2L + X-Cross/Cross) * 4. Be sure to use tracking and lookahead in your F2L. If you do not implement techniques such as lookahead or turbo tracking in a regular solve, training is meaningless. It sounds redundant to say so, but I cannot emphasize it enough.

3rd Month:
Prerequisite: sub 10 Ao12 Cross + F2L
This month, you will drill every algorithm of Full OLL. This all depends on whether you have learned full OLL or not. If you have, every 2 days will be dedicated to drilling every set of full OLL. You can see this in the speed solving wiki; full OLL is divided into sections such as All Corners Solved, No Edges Solved, P OLLs, etc. Every 2 days, you will use an OLL trainer for one set of OLLs to train recognition and execution. It is extremely important that you be able to recognize and execute every algorithm in your head instantly. Same concept as lookahead. If you do not know full OLL, for the first half of the month every 2 days you will learn every set of full OLL. Like I said before, you will use an OLL trainer for recognition and execution. This will help with the learning process. Then the second half of the month will be drilling, except every day will be dedicated to a set. When you know full OLL, you should do 40 Ao12 OLLs with Prisma Puzzle Timer or something.

4th Month:
Prerequisite: sub 3/2 Ao12 OLL (depends if at the beginning of 3rd Month you knew full OLL or not)
This month, you will drill every PLL. Every day will be dedicated to 1 PLL. Get a good algorithm suited for not simply finger tricks, but shortness and speed for execution. Every day you will also do 40 Ao12 PLLs with Prisma Puzzle Timer. This month will be a lot less intense than 3rd month, so think of it as a little break.

Go back to 1st month and repeat.

For training, every time you repeat the cycle of training, you change the prereqs for every month. It doesn't matter what they are, as long as you improve by at least 0.5 seconds every cycle. Also, the prereqs I put in the post are for an about sub 25 solver. You don't have to use those prereqs. The training should stay about the same though, unless you aren't doing it in stages of months. If you're training just as I said, with supplements of 100 standard solves every day as well, training as hard as you can, you should be sub 10 or so in at least 16 months.

This is all theoretical, BTW. Tell me what you guys think.

I'll have a Python or Perl customizable OLL trainer up sometime.

Last edited:

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you manage to stick to this I think you will become a very good cuber.
Though I have worries about the linear reduction of your time as time goes on.

MWilson

If you're going that extreme, you should throw in AUF practice.

So, for each OLL and PLL, practice all combinations of [U, U', or U2] alg [U, U', or U2]. Try to get all OLLs sub 1.5 with all AUF combinations, and PLLs sub 2. I reconsidered all my finger tricks and algs while practicing this, and changed many of them to be less bursty and more controlled. The execution of the case on it's own became slightly slower, but the AUF-Alg-AUF because way faster, which is more important in an actual solve.

I do this for F2L as well on awkward cases and it helps with fluency a lot.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
4. PLL: full PLL. Drill all of them until you can sub every PLL, and then sub 1 every PLL.
This should be sub-2.
I don't think it's possible to sub 1 every OLL and PLL. Specially OLL
I don't know about OLL, but it's possible with PLL. I just googled it and there are several videos of people doing it.

slinky773

WCA
2014LEEY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you're going that extreme, you should throw in AUF practice.

So, for each OLL and PLL, practice all combinations of [U, U', or U2] alg [U, U', or U2]. Try to get all OLLs sub 1.5 with all AUF combinations, and PLLs sub 2. I reconsidered all my finger tricks and algs while practicing this, and changed many of them to be less bursty and more controlled. The execution of the case on it's own became slightly slower, but the AUF-Alg-AUF because way faster, which is more important in an actual solve.

I do this for F2L as well on awkward cases and it helps with fluency a lot.

I find that I can just do AUFs intuitively without any practice anyway.

78BFE

Damn, you should've posted this at the beginning of June when summer had started for me :D

ryanj92

WCA
2012JONE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Although I like the exercises that you describe, I think directed training (do an ao12/50/whatever for each section of your solve and practise your worst bit) will probably give more benefit in the long run because not everyone will be starting from the same level of speed, so will find the course more intensive in some areas than others. If you're always working on the worst part of your solve then you can maintain a more constant level of productivity through practise. Just my thoughts :)

slinky773

WCA
2014LEEY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I mean, the goals I described were meant for sub 25 solvers, and I'm pretty sure that if I spend a month doing 200 BLD crosses and 40 Ao12s every day I'd be pretty damn good at the cross. And anyway I think most people struggle with the cross the most at that level. And if you're slower, these areas will still apply I think.

MWilson

I find that I can just do AUFs intuitively without any practice anyway.

So can everyone else, that's not the point. Have you ever timed all combinations of AUF-Alg-AUF to see if you have trouble spots? Time an alg on it's own until you know your speed on it, then do AUF-Alg-AUF times on it. Maybe you're perfect as is, but you may have a case that gives you +1s in certain AUF combinations.