• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Unofficial] Sub 20 with 20 different methods

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree with Erik. Placing cross pieces first is just inefficient block building and it was still done before the next step in the method's description, right?

Well, he did parts of steps 3 and 4 before doing step 2 (if you really try to view it as doing that method).

k

I was doing Kirjava's Tripod.

problem solved.

k

exactly, and I even gave your variation a most fitting name - Kripod™.

But, OT and LOL, my well intentioned post was deleted by those not appreciating such humorous reconstructions.

NIce video BTW, and it would be really cool if you could do another, but this time use the SAME SCRAMBLE for all the methods. I dont' give a crap (and I don't think anyone else does either) if you prepare/rehearse them or not, but I would like to see/compare your best possible solve using the same scramble for each method.

Erik

WCA
2005AKKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, he did parts of steps 3 and 4 before doing step 2 (if you really try to view it as doing that method).

Does that mean that because I would do an X-cross on CFOP it isn't CFOP anymore? Or solve the first pair before solving the last cross pieces, for that matter? I don't think so, you could maybe call it a small variation, like CF3L. Though CF3L is still clearly just K4 with a small variation. Surely not another method.

@reThinking the Cube: that's not a bad idea at all actually, though I would doubt Kirjava is in the mood to spend another evening and afternoon (dunno exactly, at least quite a long time) filming and trying :p
maybe with a pretty please :D

Last edited:

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
A good scramble for one method can be a bad scramble for another method. It wouldn't really be a good test of anything :/

Also, Heise alone took three hours to get a sub20 with, HTA was even worse :p

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Does that mean that because I would do an X-cross on CFOP it isn't CFOP anymore?

That's combining two adjacent steps. Hardly comparable to starting step 4 before starting step 2.

Or solve the first pair before solving the last cross pieces, for that matter?

That's doing step 2 before finishing step 1. Still not really comparable to starting step 4 before starting step 2.

And I'd say it matters whether you do it consistently. If for example you screw up a cross edge and solve it after the first two pairs but otherwise do CFOP, I'd still count your method (though maybe not the solve) as CFOP. But if you do it on purpose, always solve the fourth cross edge after the first two pairs, I probably wouldn't count that method as CFOP. I can't tell from one solve what Thom's method was, but I suspect it's not what "the" Tripod method was supposed to be (as after the 222 he apparently just finished the cross - before bothering about anything else).