• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Sub-20 Breakdown Solve

happyface352

To all you sub-20ers, I salute you.
I've been stuck at around 20-21 for about a month.
I'm not sure about what I should try to improve on.

My times usually vary, but my F2L will usually end on average at around the 14-15 second mark. Sometimes, if I end around the 12-13 mark, I will get sub 20, but I've never gotten a sub 20 average.

Just wondering, what's your breakdown for your 3x3 solves? And also, what part of my solving should I work on?

PCwizCube

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Average = ~16 seconds
Cross: ~2.5 seconds
F2L Pairs: ~ 8.5 seconds
2 Look OLL (with some 1L OLL): ~ 2.5 seconds
Full PLL: ~ 2.5 seconds

You should focus on your Cross or F2L pairs (you should tell us how fast each of those are). First of all do you look ahead? It helps you a lot in getting faster in F2L. Also if you put up a video of your solves that would be helpful so we can see how you cube.

leeho

WCA
2010HOAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I haven't cubed in months. (I quit a while ago) I've just recently started again and judging from my recent averages, I'm around high 14s. Heres the breakdown:

Cross: 2 seconds
F2L(Including cross):8-9 seconds
OLL(2-look): 2-3 seconds
PLL: 2 seconds

I think you should work on your F2L. As many people will tell you, look ahead...blah blah blah and all that business. Try to string together as many moves as possible and minimised cube rotations. Try inserting pairs from different angles. Hope this helps.

Neo63

WCA
2008WUNE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Average = ~16 seconds
Cross: ~2.5 seconds
F2L Pairs: ~ 8.5 seconds
2 Look OLL (with some 1L OLL): ~ 2.5 seconds
Full PLL: ~ 2.5 seconds

You should focus on your Cross or F2L pairs (you should tell us how fast each of those are). First of all do you look ahead? It helps you a lot in getting faster in F2L. Also if you put up a video of your solves that would be helpful so we can see how you cube.

exactly my breakdown and what I was about to say :D

D

Deleted member 2864

Average: Normally a tiny bit above 15.50 seconds

Cross: 2 seconds
F2L: ~8 seconds (can vary depending on how nice the cases are)
LL: ~5 seconds (also varies slightly upon the case)

This was taken using 2 scrambles only, though.

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
From an avg of 10 solves:

EOLine: 3.51
F2L: 10.23
LL: 5.81

Ratio: 18% : 52% : 30%

F2L and EOLine probably need most work.

Meisen

WCA
2010MEIS01
I'm just barely sub 20 myself (average of 100 done yesterday). I haven't cubed as much lately as i used to, and that reflects on my times.

Anyway, my breakdown is as follows:

Cross: sub 3 seconds on average.

F2L: around 11 seconds.

LL: Sub 6 seconds on average.

These times all varies a bit ofcourse. cross can be anything from 1.5-4.

F2l can be as "fast" as 8, but it can also be as "slow" as 15.

My LL can be sub 4 in (very) rare cases (One of the "C" oll's + U pll), but it can also be as much as 9 :/

All examples are with non lucky cases.

I think these times are fairly accurate since my best nl solve is 13.xx, and my "worst" solves are sub 30. Very rarely sup 25.

EDIT: If any of you guys think my breakdown is weird, please give me a hint as to where you feel i should focus my efforts to improve ;)

Last edited:

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
Cross: 2.5
F2l: 13
LL: 19
I've improved my LL so much, yet while doing this, I haven't done as many full solves, and my f2l's slowed down :(

I think you need to work on your LL! :p

I've changed it from 2.5, 10, 19, so I've improved it a lot, I just have a bit more work to do. But I barely do any 3speed now, focusing on getting decent at Pyra.

vcuber13

WCA
2009METH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Cross: 2.5
F2l: 13
LL: 19
I've improved my LL so much, yet while doing this, I haven't done as many full solves, and my f2l's slowed down :(

I think you need to work on your LL! :p

I've changed it from 2.5, 10, 19, so I've improved it a lot, I just have a bit more work to do. But I barely do any 3speed now, focusing on getting decent at Pyra.

He means at what time he finishes... so he finishes his f2l at 13 seconds and finishes his solve at 19.
Average: 19
Cross: 3
F2L: 9
OLL: 3
PLL: 4