• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Stackmat timer and gloves

Parity

So I was making a video of a solve with my baseball gloves and I put my hands on the timer and noticed the light wouldn't start,So I took the gloves off and then the timer worked.Can someone explain this to me? Because I thought it was touch sensitive.

Kabuthunk

YouTube
Visit Channel
The first thing that comes to mind to solve this issue would be to position the timer mat so that your wrists/forearms rest on it. That should give it the contact it needs, I'd imagine, and go from there.

Cride5

Premium Member
WCA
2009RIDE01
I'm pretty sure my Stackmat works through electrical conductance between the two pads, but I'm not sure if the same mechanism is used in all models. More discussion here.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm pretty sure my Stackmat works through electrical conductance between the two pads

No, the two pads work individually. It registers single pad touching as can be seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj_J42mBATY#t=36

Those two lines in each pad need to be connected:
3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg
Basically, the parastic capacitance is due to ionic loads in the blood, so it won't work without direct contact with the skin.
Pretty sure it still works with a sheet of paper between skin and pad.

Muesli

Premium Member
WCA
2009SMIT05
YouTube
Visit Channel
It works in the same way as an Ipod Touch iirc, via electricity sent through the top layer of the skin. There are some gloves you can get that have silver sewn into the fingertips, allowing them to be used with the Ipod. I'm sure they would work here too.

linkmaster03

Yeah, I've heard that people just sew a little bit of conductive thread into the tip of their glove to use with touchscreens, so you can do the same thing for this.