• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

SSC (Shadowslice Snow Columns) 3x3x3 Method

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
I've been lurking here because I'm very intrigued about this method! I made an account on here because of this method.

I have a couple of questions for crafto just to clarify some things. When you proposed the idea for roux blocks you said it could be done in about 10-12 moves. Can you explain how you do that? Also, you said that you're supposed to do roux blocks whilst preserving co. Did you mean to preserve co AND belt? It seems more logical, but I'm just making sure.
Hi! Welcome to the forums! :)
I'm not crafto but I was the one that proposed the method. What I had in mind was to insert DL/DR in a way similar to stage 4b in roux (insert UL/UR) but using D moves instead of U moves so essentially yes, preserve the corners and the R/L centres though F and B do not though EO should remain.

Spencer131

WCA
2017CHUB02
I was asking about the variant crafto came up with where you do roux blocks, pll, then an m-perm. I think I understand the one where you do CTL, CPETL, EPBL. I want to compare both of the methods in order to offer my opinion.

on your first post i get a bit confused when it gets to the 1x1x3 and 1x1x2 i undertsand everything else is there any examples solves with this in it?

also as a more general question whats currently the best way to day l8e because ive been practicing pcms and some of the previously mentioned ways seem really nice

thanks the only problem i have now is learning the ol5c algs is there any way i can do this step without habing to learn the algs yet?

sqAree

WCA
2015JAEH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
thanks the only problem i have now is learning the ol5c algs is there any way i can do this step without habing to learn the algs yet?

I would recommend learning them, almost all of them have 4 moves or less. You can build two 1x1x3s and solve CO on L, then pretend R is LL and use pure CO algs (or beginner's CO method with sexy moves). It's really inefficient though.

Teoidus

So, I like the efficiency of this method but the issues I see with it are that there are lots of little steps that don't feel like they flow into each other and that BDL never gets solved early, making lookahead difficult.

Any suggestions for ways around these?

Spencer131

WCA
2017CHUB02
how do you recognize ol5c cases?
If you're using squarees algs, then you look at the right side (assuming that you solve your eoline on the left). A circle means there should be white or yellow on the front, and a line means that there is white or yellow wherever the line is.

Spencer131

WCA
2017CHUB02
Has anybody genned cpetl algs yet? I'm wondering because that alg set seems to be required for the fastest version of the method at the moment.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
I just wanted to bump this thread as we recently seem to have a few new members who seem to have a reasonably good understanding of the cube and still has the lack of constraints that come from solving for a long time.

Basically, I am reasonably happy with the first phase (CO+EO) of this method as it did improve on HTA in terms of movecounts with only a modest increase in algs (around 10- around 20). However, the second phase still has a fair amount of room for improving IMO.

At the moment, there are a few ways which the second phase is solved. I list them below but it might actually be a good idea if you just play around with the ideas you have without looking at them first.
Ryan Heise's approach
  • Fix corners.
  • Fix edges.
  • Solve using double turns.
My method (1)
  • Solve corners
  • Solve DR/DL
  • LSE
crafto22's EZD
  • Separate pieces into their layers
  • Solve corners
  • solve edges
Rouxblocks revisited
  • Solve Roux blocks and corners
  • LSE
My/crafto22 (Idr) method (2)
  • Rouxblock in DL
  • 2x2x2 in DBR
  • Solve in one alg like in M-CELL

Craftblocklp

I'm interested in learning this method but there is no tutorial or good alg list I personally understand so it would be good if you could create an understandable tutorial with links to the algs.

crafto22

WCA
2014ADAM03
Looks great, thanks for the creds :p. I was actually in the process of filming something similar to this until I noticed you posted, so I might as well give up since I have 2 hours of footage and its mostly rambling and terrible explaining. Might keep a couple of speedsolves I recorded using ECE though. I got a sub-30 STM solution. May or may not go up on my channel soon.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Looks great, thanks for the creds :p. I was actually in the process of filming something similar to this until I noticed you posted, so I might as well give up since I have 2 hours of footage and its mostly rambling and terrible explaining. Might keep a couple of speedsolves I recorded using ECE though. I got a sub-30 STM solution. May or may not go up on my channel soon.
Go for it! :) I only really grabbed a camera and did a quick solve. If you can do a more in depth one that'd be great! :)

Sorry for the late reply I've been meaning to for a while but never got around to it :p

Terence Tan

I have a variant idea: (FR)

1) EOedge

2) pseudotriplet + corner (LUF)

3) OL5C

4) corners

5) DL DR

6) L7E ( like 42)

You basically make only the pseudotriplet and position one corner for better lookahead.
Don't know if this is good or not..

Last edited:
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sorry, for bumping this thread, but I do believe this method has potential. I’ve been using No More PLL method for a while now (a method created by CriticalCubing, check it out please), but I’ve realised that the method is not my style and I’m getting quite depressed using it (jk, but you know what I mean). Plus, this method looks better than it too. The SSC-M method is more like what I’m looking at and seems great! I’ve looked at the ECE thread too and I’m currently practising the Original variant, the best for me. Please check that one out too. I’m trying to switch to this as a main method as I’ve been eyeing it off for a week now and I’m getting sub-30 times already. I WILL be posting a YouTube video on this method soon as I can (a week from now). Hopefully, I can be the one to prove this method’s potential eventually! Thank you to those who created this method as now I’m on a journey of my own!!

EDIT:The video II’ll be posting will be quite in depth with parts to it as well since there aren’t many videos with the metho in-depth.

EDIT 2: I’ve personally also thought columns first methods could be fast, but PCMS and others just aren’t my style. This method is just perfect!