• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Speedcubing in Georgia, USA

Patrick M

WCA
2009MILL05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Joy of seeing this thread even remotely active

I will drive almost anywhere in georgia during the weekend (actually any time thursday-sunday) for an awesome meetup or competition. Atlanta would be perfect though.

Also one day I must race sir waffle

edit:
If need to we can be at my apartment on campus, its pretty chill. I'm in marietta which is just like 10 miles north of ATL

Torch

WCA
2014GOSL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
OK, seeing as there seem to be a lot of Georgia cubers around the forums, I think the time is ripe for a meetup. I'd like to make a mailing list so we can communicate and coordinate off-forum, so if you could possibly attend an Atlanta area meetup, please either PM me an email address or post in this thread. Thanks!

cuberkid10

WCA
2010HULL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Totally random, but I can't believe that I've been posting on this thread since 2010. :O

On topic, I'm now on the mailing list by Torch, so.. yes. We def should have a meetup. I haven't cubed in a really long time and I kind of want to again.

WesD98

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey, I've been wondering about potential Georgia competitions and I saw that the last competition I have noticed was the Marietta Open 2011, so I was wondering if it was possible to start that up again. I know it's been a while, but it would be cool to get a competition in Marietta. If you guys know anyone I can contact or any information about this please let me know. Or if there's another competition already planned in Georgia, I would like to know about that as well. Thanks!

Torch

WCA
2014GOSL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey, I've been wondering about potential Georgia competitions and I saw that the last competition I have noticed was the Marietta Open 2011, so I was wondering if it was possible to start that up again. I know it's been a while, but it would be cool to get a competition in Marietta. If you guys know anyone I can contact or any information about this please let me know. Or if there's another competition already planned in Georgia, I would like to know about that as well. Thanks!

Currently, Andrew Kang is allegedly organizing a competition. I say allegedly because he hasn't said anything in a while about it, but it's possibly happening in May. On the note of organizing your own competition, if you could find a venue, we could possibly find a delegate willing to fly in. I also live in Cobb County and was looking at the county recreation centers as possible venues, but the operating hours are too short to hold a competion in.

Torch

WCA
2014GOSL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hold an unofficial competition first. It gives you experience with organizing competitions and shows delegates that you're seriously interested in organizing.

Seeing as you have experience organizing competitions, how would you suggest going about finding a cheap venue for an unofficial competition? I found some possible venues, but they're all too expensive to not have a registration fee, and unofficial competitions don't usually charge as far as I know.

Thanks.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Seeing as you have experience organizing competitions, how would you suggest going about finding a cheap venue for an unofficial competition? I found some possible venues, but they're all too expensive to not have a registration fee, and unofficial competitions don't usually charge as far as I know.

Thanks.

If it's unofficial, the venue doesn't have to be spectacular. Churches, libraries, and schools will often let you use their spaces for cheap or free.

YouTube
Visit Channel
The libraries in my county have operating hours that are too short to hold a competition in. I'm homeschooled, so there isn't a school I could use. And my church's social hall is too small.

I live in Laurens County and the library here is fairly large. I'll go there and ask about possibly holding a cubing competition.