• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Speed running

Cyrus C.

WCA
2010COLA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Does anyone here speed run?

For those of you who don't know, speed running is taking a video game, & trying to get through a level, the whole game, or a section of it, in the fastest time. Wikipedia article.

Does anyone here speed run? I've been trying to sub-5 the 1st world of New Super Mario Bros. for the DS. So far I've gotten ~6-7 minutes. I've also done this on Lego Star Wars because it has a mode just for speed running.

Last edited:

IamWEB

WCA
2009BOAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Speed walking = running, so speed running =
2.jpg

____

Oddly enough you mention Nintendo in the post and I thought of that response as the thread loaded.

EDIT: (ANTHONY!)

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

KConny

WCA
2007LUND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I used to speedrun Mega Man. I got below 30mins a couple of times. I also did a couple of runs on Ninja Gaiden last summer, but nothing major.

About TAS's: I used to look at a lot of them. My friend is got a couple of Metroid TAS WR so he sometimes gives me a link to a kickass run.

miniGOINGS

I speed run a lot of things. Marble mazes? Yes. Sudoku? Of course. Pokemon? Yea.

Jason Baum

WCA
2005BAUM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Before I got into cubing, I was very into speed running. I started out with the Super Monkey Ball series, and for a while I was ranked #2 in the world for Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2, holding several WRs on various levels. Then I got into Metroid games. I briefly held the any% WR for Metroid Fusion (don't remember the time though), and I held the any% WR for Metroid Zero Mission for a while with a completion time of 29:54. I was the first to break the 30 minute barrier in that game. I was obsessed with running Metroid Prime for a long time. My best time at that game was somewhere around the 1:15 mark, which was pretty good at the time (current WR is 1:03). The last speed run I did was a 100% completion run of Super Mario World, which I finished in 1:31:45. I finished that run in January 2005 and that record still stands today.

One of the main reasons why I stopped speed running (other than getting into cubing) was the emergence of TAS runs. I know they have their benefits, but there are too many newbs out there that don't know the difference between TAS runs and legit speedruns, and it takes a lot away from the speedrunner. Case in point: I worked on my Mario World run for a good 7 months. Less than a month after it got published online, a TAS got released that finished in something like 1:22:xx. Now for a run of 90 minutes in length to be only 8 minutes slower than a theoretical "perfect" run (TAS) is very, very good, but the average person won't know that and would no doubt consider my run to be inferior to the faster, albeit faked, time.

It's kind of like if someone were to do a speed BLD solve in 10 seconds and post it online as if it were a legitimate BLD solve. The average person that sees that isn't going to know the difference, and then when they see somebody do a real BLD solve in 50 seconds, they aren't going to be impressed.

Sorry to go on a mini-rant, but I really can't stand TAS runs. When that Mario World TAS got published after I worked so hard for so long on my legit speed run, it felt like a huge slap in the face and I haven't really had any desire to do another speed run since then.

If anybody wants to check out my Mario World run, it is available for download at http://speeddemosarchive.com/MarioWorld.html. Also check out www.speeddemosarchive.com for legit speed runs for over 500 games!

Googlrr

WCA
2010CARM01
I used to speedrun Pokemon Snap, haha. I tried to do the least amount of levels the quickest and beat the game. I'm pretty sure I got less than an hour, but I honestly don't remember much of the game anymore.

The first Fable I did speed runs of, and could generally beat it 2 hours or less (Archery main + headshots = easymode).

First level of Left 4 Dead is doable in ~40 seconds, but most people can do that trick.

Pokemon Yellow was my most speedrun game. I'd reset it every morning and end up beating it about halfway through the day. I literally beat that game probably upwards of 70 times. So many wasted hours >.<. I never kept track of the hours, but I knew I could beat it pretty damn fast.

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Does anyone here speed run?

For those of you who don't know, speed running is taking a video game, & trying to get through a level, the whole game, or a section of it, in the fastest time. Wikipedia article.

Does anyone here speed run? I've been trying to sub-5 the 1st world of New Super Mario Bros. for the DS. So far I've gotten ~6-7 minutes. I've also done this on Lego Star Wars because it has a mode just for speed running.

I do this on Kongregate.
I did Bars of Black and White in sub-30.
Just check the high scores >_>. 7th fastest (including HAXXORS who get 0).

MTGjumper

WCA
2008CRAW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I never noticed that you held the record for SMW, Jason.

I lurk on SDA and TASvideos, and plan to record a 100% speedrun of Tombi someday. Unrecorded, I have 1:24 (segmented) and I don't know of anyone who has done faster.