• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Speed run of the the weekly comp

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have been doing the weekly comp for a while, and I had the idea of doing a speedrun yesterday. It took around 4 hours to do all the 34 events and it was pretty exhausting tbh.

Has anyone done a speedrun before? If yes, what is the overall time they took, and also did they attempt FMC and BLD as those events require focus.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
When I try for this, I just go for a success in every event. Although I still hope to someday get all successes, including every blind solve and a perfect n/n multi.

I have not attempted this since the 4 new events got added this year. I've had a success in every event several times in the past, though. But never as a speed run.

xyzzy

i feel like fmc should be exluded from the runs personally, as it doesnt really fit with the other parts of the run+is time based
You still need to write down a full solution correctly (surprisingly hard, considering how frequent DNFs are among newbies), then type it out and submit it. The scoring metric speedrun-wise is different from actual FMC scoring (and it's really now "writing down some solution, any solution" rather than "fewest moves"), but that's kind of the thing with speedruns anyway: disregard the usual scoring metrics and go purely for minimising time.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
And remember, FMC requires sub-80 moves to be legal by WCA rules. I personally think FMC should clearly be included in a speedrun.

I mean, Speed FMC exists lol. I'd make an FMC speed run have to be sub-50 or something, because my regular speedsolving solutions are under 80 moves

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just saw the 5BLD attempt is actually entered as a non-DNF. I was wondering why you had 1 attempt and it said "off by...", while it wasnt dnf

Sorry about that, changed it to DNF, must have been a mistake from me while speedrunning.
It has happened to me once before when I did 7BLD attempt and forgot to DNF it after writing a comment. Mike changed it to a DNF for that particular. For this solve, since the week has not ended, I could edit it myself, U' R E' R' U R2 E R E' R E .

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I mean, Speed FMC exists lol. I'd make an FMC speed run have to be sub-50 or something, because my regular speedsolving solutions are under 80 moves

I will do a SS comp speedrun after I learn to get comfortable with keyboard cube (https://abunickabhi.github.io/5style-Trainer/), I might be able to put down a linear CFOP solution as the submission. It will take time for me to get adjusted to Tao Yu level. Doing FMC with a normal 3x3, is just too slow. I would rather DNF that solve, or just do one solve out of the 3 in FMC, and 1 out of 5 in SpeedFMC.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You still need to write down a full solution correctly (surprisingly hard, considering how frequent DNFs are among newbies), then type it out and submit it. The scoring metric speedrun-wise is different from actual FMC scoring (and it's really now "writing down some solution, any solution" rather than "fewest moves"), but that's kind of the thing with speedruns anyway: disregard the usual scoring metrics and go purely for minimising time.

I think the best solution will be use a keyboard cube like Tao Yu. It will be razor fast to input solutions from that way. I am yet to get super comfortable with keyboard cubes. (http://snk.digibase.ca/ksim_trainer.htm) Hope I will be able to Speed FMC event easily in the future without procrastinating if I learn to input submissions via the solution genned via keyboard cube.

Jacck

WCA
2013HUBH01
I have been doing the weekly comp for a while, and I had the idea of doing a speedrun yesterday. It took around 4 hours to do all the 34 events and it was pretty exhausting tbh.
? Nice idea, but why do you say "all 34 events", when you skipped 5 of them?
I think the best solution will be use a keyboard cube like Tao Yu. It will be razor fast to input solutions from that way.
Hmm, I thought, that the weekly comp runs under the rules of the WCA, therefore a real 3x3 should be used - or did I understood something wrong?

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
? Nice idea, but why do you say "all 34 events", when you skipped 5 of them?

Hmm, I thought, that the weekly comp runs under the rules of the WCA, therefore a real 3x3 should be used - or did I understood something wrong?

I initially planned on doing them all, then I quit after 6BLD, as it was already 2am and I had work the next day. Maybe I will edit the description of my video.

I will have to ask Mike about keyboard cubes. Since it is not providing any unfair advantage, it should be allowed for FMC. Maybe its wrong, in that case, I dont want to attempt FMC on a cube in the classical way. It is super tiring and draining if you are doing lot of solves prior to the attempt.

Jacck

WCA
2013HUBH01
I will have to ask Mike about keyboard cubes. Since it is not providing any unfair advantage, it should be allowed for FMC. Maybe its wrong, in that case, I dont want to attempt FMC on a cube in the classical way. It is super tiring and draining if you are doing lot of solves prior to the attempt.
Well, if you see an advantage with a keyboard cube (speed) there is an advantage;)
I understand, that many solves are tiring, but I think all attempts that are listed in the weekly comp should've been done in the "normal" way - and no matter to other circumstances.
Clearly you could give other rules to a 34-events-speedrun, but that would be another competition.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Aye true. I kinda understand SS comps are not meant for speedrun as they are tiring if you attempt all (eg, ao5 of 7x7 is tiring).

Maybe excluding FMC will seem a logical solution, since it requires a different form of submission.
Edit: I do not want to exclude FMC, and want to include them in my next speedruns.

Last edited: